R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #256
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good deal. Can you estimate how much extra time was (beyond 5 mins)? With what kind of batteries? I hope my 5.5 comes soon too!

Since you are used to brushed motors, how do you compare the driving styles? What do you find you have to do differently with driving/set-up?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 PM   #257
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It looks like there might be quite a few ss5800 systems showing up for sale pretty soon - which might suit me just fine. I run stock touring car on VHT prepared asphalt, but I will have to move to 19t if I go brushless. I am trying to decide if the 5800 would be strong enough to run with 19t guys. Our current track rules don't allow ANY brushless, but I hope that might change.. Since I am waiting to find out about the rules change for next year, I have a little time to check this all out - just not the money to buy two systems because I chose the wrong one the first time.

I do have a couple of questions that I don't think I have seen covered in this thread.

Is there a heat issue with brushless motors? I have had a terrible time overheating motors in stock, even when running identical gearing to other cars on track with me - I'm assuming it's my driving style...

Has anyone mounted either of these systems on an XRay T1FK05? I have a spectrum RX and a GT7, and I had to put the RX on top of the servo with just these components.

What maintenance DOES need to be done to brushless systems? They can't be completely maintenance free, can they?

Thanks guys - I am really looking forward to changing to brushless if it is everything that I think it is...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 PM   #258
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pull the motor apart once every two years to check the bearings, find they are good, oil them, put back together for another two years. It's about as close to a solid state power plant as you can get!

I've been trying to find a good class match for either the 5800 or the 4300. I think the 5800 is about like a good 19T. The 4300 is a bit faster than the average stock motor though.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #259
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadn1
There are other racers on other forums raving about the 6.5 and 5.5 Velocity systems. check it out you will see.
Can you tell me where these forums are??? Please???

I need to hear some race reports against the brushed motors.

Thanks.
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:53 AM   #260
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy
It looks like there might be quite a few ss5800 systems showing up for sale pretty soon - which might suit me just fine. I run stock touring car on VHT prepared asphalt, but I will have to move to 19t if I go brushless. I am trying to decide if the 5800 would be strong enough to run with 19t guys. Our current track rules don't allow ANY brushless, but I hope that might change.. Since I am waiting to find out about the rules change for next year, I have a little time to check this all out - just not the money to buy two systems because I chose the wrong one the first time.

I do have a couple of questions that I don't think I have seen covered in this thread.

Is there a heat issue with brushless motors? I have had a terrible time overheating motors in stock, even when running identical gearing to other cars on track with me - I'm assuming it's my driving style...

Has anyone mounted either of these systems on an XRay T1FK05? I have a spectrum RX and a GT7, and I had to put the RX on top of the servo with just these components.

What maintenance DOES need to be done to brushless systems? They can't be completely maintenance free, can they?

Thanks guys - I am really looking forward to changing to brushless if it is everything that I think it is...
RCtoyguy...

you should read up on Nebraska racers Forum they talk about the difference btwn the 4300 and 5800 and compare it to 19T motors.

R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Nebraska Racing >Brushless 4300 class?
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:01 AM   #261
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
Can you tell me where these forums are??? Please???

I need to hear some race reports against the brushed motors.

Thanks.

RC universe

Radio control Zone
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #262
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Rctoyguy, they really can be just about maintanace free. I raced a Novak 5800 offroad, running on a very loose track, the dirt got every were and i only opened the motor up about once every couple month to check and reoil the bearings. But if u really want to get the right one as u said i would just get the GTB. U can still run brushed motors with it if u want to. And u can also buy the different novak brushless motors as well as some ofther like the reedy neo one and run them on the GTB as well. The motor overheating has never really been an issue that i have found, When i ran offroad i would thermal the ESC from time to time but in the past year or so i have been racing TC i havnt had many problems with it.
ATXPro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:54 AM   #263
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadn1
There are other racers on other forums raving about the 6.5 and 5.5 Velocity systems. check it out you will see.
Had a look on these other forums and I couldn't see any discussion on the GTB (with either 5.5 or 6.5) in regards to onroad performances. Am I going blind???
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 AM   #264
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

I'm currently running the Super Sport Plus here in Nebraska. I run a 4300 system. Until last week the 4300 track record was a few seconds faster than the 19t track record. I would have won 3 of the last 4 19t races with my 19t (based on time alone... never know what will happen with more cars in a class though).

I'd say the 4300 is just as good as a 19t. When you start talking about the PRO level 19t... you know... the factory level guys, I think the 19t would have a slight advantage. For 99% of the racing I think the 4300 keeps up with (and passes) a 19t just fine.

Just my opinion though.
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #265
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I was wondering if anyone has installed the GTB in 1/12 scale. I just bought a rc12l4 and was wondering if the speed control would fit especially with the fan.
csabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #266
Tech Master

Looks like I am going to have to wait about going brushless. Our local race director and club president is 100% against running brushless with brushed cars, and there aren't any other brushless cars around that I am aware of.

I do want to follow this though, in case the rules do change for next year.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #267
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

Drop me your track directors contact info in a PM and I'll chat with him. We've been running brushless here mixed in with other classes with great success.

It could be just a lack of experience on his part that is causing the issue.
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:16 AM   #268
Tech Master

I'm not going to start that - I have been arguing with him about it anyway. He is very experienced, been racing 10+ years, multi-sponsorship kind of guy. I am the new guy - just started racing last year. I have already stirred up enough trouble. He is a very nice guy and has been a huge help to me in getting me started. I have pretty much taken his word as "the word" on everything, so I do feel kinda bad arguing with him over this now.

I was thinking pretty hard about selling everything and getting out (spending too much time on this stuff) and thought going brushless would cut down, at least a little, on the time I spend working on the car. I also run Tamiya Mini, which is basically maint free the way I run it, so I might just sell the TC and stay with Mini...

But thanks for the offer.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #269
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I've been running 5 cells (yes..."5") and a 4300 for about a year in intermediate at my local indoor track. Aside from having slightly less straightaway speed (geared in the low-mid 5s) and slightly better infield torque (ok..."punch"), it's a near perfect match for stock. They might be a little faster in the first half, I'm the same and they fade. The fast guys always smoke me and the slower guys always claim that I have an unfair advantage.

To me, it drives like a fast mabuchi motor...you have to dial in brakes with the trim to get it to turn in, but it drives beautifully -- and it's exactly the same run-to-run. The biggest advantage by far is that if I can get there early and charge enough batteries, I can run through 10 packs in practice. Just blow the car off, change batts, sauce the tires and run it. Oh yeah...it's 1550g -- Surikarn Evo-III with square gearbox and Jurgen...it's an indestructable TANK -- with 5 batteries.

I did have a slight thermal problem gearing it that high with one ESC (two cars with 4300 motors), but I just exchanged it at Novak...I also got an Associated fan and mounted it to the top. Never had a problem since.

I love running brushless. It makes running these cars fun for me. It's really not about the speed, it's about being able to be competitive without spending every waking minute tweaking on a piece of crap brushed motor.

One other thing...when you first drive these...it seems like they have HUGE "punch", because the throttle is very linear. Half-throttle is really half-throttle...it's almost like you have to use more throttle control than with a brushed motor, because a brushed motor doesn't really do anything unless it's at WOT. Going from half-ish throttle to WOT on mine really doesn't make a huge difference (you know...less than 50% more power...LOL).

In that way, I think a brushed may be a bit easier to drive...but I'd never change back. If I can't run brushless (or mabuchi) at an onroad race, I just go run off-road...they seem to be less freaked out by new technology, there are always a few SS4300/5800s running at the local offroad tracks...or run my TNX.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 09-16-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #270
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy
Looks like I am going to have to wait about going brushless. Our local race director and club president is 100% against running brushless with brushed cars, and there aren't any other brushless cars around that I am aware of.

I do want to follow this though, in case the rules do change for next year.
rctoyguy,

Got my GTB today.... So there is one in B'ham.....If your going to be at the race this weekend? You can check it out.

And I'm like you on this and do not see the big deal with brushless. When any one can spend $75 for a brushless motor and run 19t, or spend $55 for a brushed motor "that you'll need more then one", and then have to get a motor lath $150+ to keep it fast, and then something to break it in with $50+.

For a club racer brushless it the way to go. But that just what I think

Last edited by bhambrent; 09-16-2005 at 11:43 AM.
bhambrent is offline   Reply With Quote