R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #2581
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmo View Post
Thats great ... common sense prevails

Hey ... what do you think of the LRP 13.5 ??
I have seen them run and they look strong.
You should thank Bob Novak for that. He got a lot of bad rap on forums when people wanted to run fiegao's and other none stadardised sensorless aircraft motors. But now the tables have turned. Funny thing is novak motors and speedo's are still the best anyway.
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:57 AM   #2582
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Anyone else break fan blades on the GTB? I have broke fan blades off three of the standard clear 30x30mm fans. Got tired of this, too expensive. I put the Novak 25x25mm black fan on the GTB without any issues now.

According to Novak specs, the 25x25x10 fan is nearly equivalent in cfm specs to the 30x30x6 fan.

Problem I see with the stock 30mm clear fan is the blades are at or above the top level of the fan housing. Just a slight touch when the fan is spinning, and you can crack or break a blade. After that initial touch on the fan, it won't be long before more blades break off too.

I for one would like to see Novak change the design and replace my fan for free now that I have bought 2-additional clear fans (broken now) and 2-additional black 25mm fans. Didn't realize that the speed control would be the most delicate thing in my TC5.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #2583
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Anyone else break fan blades on the GTB? I have broke fan blades off three of the standard clear 30x30mm fans. Got tired of this, too expensive. I put the Novak 25x25mm black fan on the GTB without any issues now.

According to Novak specs, the 25x25x10 fan is nearly equivalent in cfm specs to the 30x30x6 fan.

Problem I see with the stock 30mm clear fan is the blades are at or above the top level of the fan housing. Just a slight touch when the fan is spinning, and you can crack or break a blade. After that initial touch on the fan, it won't be long before more blades break off too.

I for one would like to see Novak change the design and replace my fan for free now that I have bought 2-additional clear fans (broken now) and 2-additional black 25mm fans. Didn't realize that the speed control would be the most delicate thing in my TC5.
I also run a GTB in my TC5 and I'm curious to know how you keep hitting the fan blade on the speedo? Is it a fluke each time with a nut driver? Not saying you're worng or anything....just would like to know how it breaks each time.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #2584
Tech Regular

I broke my fans too. I've got a low profile 25mm fan on one and much stronger 30mm on the other and they have been fine for ages. I agree that is one thing that novak could make a big improvement on. Wasn't a big issue for me though.
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #2585
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I also run a GTB in my TC5 and I'm curious to know how you keep hitting the fan blade on the speedo? Is it a fluke each time with a nut driver? Not saying you're worng or anything....just would like to know how it breaks each time.
Simple, touching it with your finger when setting the car down, or picking the car up. Also, if you get in a jam during a race and a marshal has to come and assist your car, they might wrap their finger around the inside and touch the fan.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:06 AM   #2586
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Simple, touching it with your finger when setting the car down, or picking the car up. Also, if you get in a jam during a race and a marshal has to come and assist your car, they might wrap their finger around the inside and touch the fan.

I have a TC5 also and have no problem. How is your GTB mounted? Do you have a pic?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #2587
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
I have a TC5 also and have no problem. How is your GTB mounted? Do you have a pic?
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-img_0608.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-img_0609.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-img_0610.jpg  
Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #2588
Tech Master

The clear fans are not as durable as the black fans. We have everyone run the black fans.

The material the clear ones are made of doesn't seem to "take a hit" at all. I've had guys "report" that they "just break", but I'm guessing wiring hit them, or a stray wrench/finger or anything.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #2589
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Here are some pics.
That is GENIUS! Deans on the motor, so you can remove the ESC or motor withour putting a strain on your soldering joints. BRILLIANT!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #2590
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

OH YHER
Started runnin my novak GTB 13.5ss in stock,,gotta love the power...
FDR 4.7 after 5 min race its commin off at 140 to 148 F maybe a little hot ??
and gonna be worse in summer...
Can anybody tell if i can run a novak 5.5 with a hacker Roadster speedy,,
i think this speedy in sensorless it was a waste of money as i brought it before i was novakated.
CHEERS
ROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #2591
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Bump
Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #2592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hey guys after todays club race i am almost ready to make the brushless jump
most of the guys today were running the LRP sphere with the novak 10.5
any reason they just dont run the GTB is the lrp brushless speedo better for some reason???
Chris08527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #2593
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROV View Post
OH YHER
Started runnin my novak GTB 13.5ss in stock,,gotta love the power...
FDR 4.7 after 5 min race its commin off at 140 to 148 F maybe a little hot ??
and gonna be worse in summer...
Can anybody tell if i can run a novak 5.5 with a hacker Roadster speedy,,
i think this speedy in sensorless it was a waste of money as i brought it before i was novakated.
CHEERS
I belive you CAN run the novak motor with out the sensor, but it will cogg..

Some say it worked, others say it wont work at all.... I havent ever tried it, so I cant say for shure

No, those temps are perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08527 View Post
hey guys after todays club race i am almost ready to make the brushless jump
most of the guys today were running the LRP sphere with the novak 10.5
any reason they just dont run the GTB is the lrp brushless speedo better for some reason???

The LRP is better! The throttle curve and everything about them is alot smoother, and nicer feeling
Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #2594
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the lrp has a slightly lower profile and footprint so fitment is slightly easier.

they both feel the same and can get the same lap times with either speedy.
magm20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #2595
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
I belive you CAN run the novak motor with out the sensor, but it will cogg..
Cheers BlackedOutREVO
I have never experianced cogging with any gear,,,,,,so what am i looking for and is it bad for my gear.