R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #2341
Tech Addict
 
mutley001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Ran my GTB 13.5 brushless combo for the first time tonight in my Mi3, Couldn't figure out the gearing. Its on a small tight indoor track, rubber tire touring car and usually run a gear ratio of 8.01 with a brushed motor. The 13.5 i have is the ribbed version with the orange timing ring.
Anyone help please?

Thanks

Paul
__________________
ARC R11 2017
ARC R10 2013
EA Motorsports www.teameamotorsports.com
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #2342
Tech Master
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: I'm All Over The Place
Posts: 1,160
Default

It's safe to start around 2-3 teeth taller then your Current Brushed Stock motor. But likely you'll keep going from there. Watch the motor temps at the end of your run, you want around 160-170F.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #2343
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 29
Default

If i overheat my 4.5r or gtb because i've over geared, what exactly happens? Does the gtb shut off completely or can i still use my steering servo?
WayzOfTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #2344
Tech Regular
 
rcarmchl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Collierville, TN
Posts: 492
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
It's safe to start around 2-3 teeth taller then your Current Brushed Stock motor. But likely you'll keep going from there. Watch the motor temps at the end of your run, you want around 160-170F.
I am trying to understand the gearing on my 13.5 BL as well. Whenever I ask around hear I get the same answer..."most are running around a 4.5"....but your response as well as the literature that cam with say start around 2-3 teeth larger than current set up. I guess my question is ....is the gearing really different or the motor is just that much stronger that it can pull that much gear? I am not a newb but I am not a seasoned vet either....
rcarmchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #2345
Tech Elite
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayzOfTheCore View Post
If i overheat my 4.5r or gtb because i've over geared, what exactly happens? Does the gtb shut off completely or can i still use my steering servo?
Yep, your servo will still work. It's just like you let off the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarmchl View Post
p. I guess my question is ....is the gearing really different or the motor is just that much stronger that it can pull that much gear?
It just has that much torque...yes...and it has that little RPM.

Just gear it up until you're competitive and keep an eye on the temp. You aren't going too high until you... a) lose the "punch" and... b) it gets too hot. (over 170).
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:57 AM   #2346
Tech Addict
 
mutley001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post

It just has that much torque...yes...and it has that little RPM.

Just gear it up until you're competitive and keep an eye on the temp. You aren't going too high until you... a) lose the "punch" and... b) it gets too hot. (over 170).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
It's safe to start around 2-3 teeth taller then your Current Brushed Stock motor. But likely you'll keep going from there. Watch the motor temps at the end of your run, you want around 160-170F.
Thanks Guys, by the time the meeting finished I was 4 teeth higher than when I began and still the motor was luke warm! Guess I hadn't gone far enough! I was running 6.4 and I usually run 8.0 FDR with a brushed motor!
__________________
ARC R11 2017
ARC R10 2013
EA Motorsports www.teameamotorsports.com
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #2347
Tech Adept
 
Racingbod85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bromley, Kent, UK
Posts: 186
Default

Welcome to the world of brushless Paul!! Does Ian let you run that at Maritime - or was that at Sidcup with Simon?
Racingbod85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #2348
Tech Addict
 
mutley001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racingbod85 View Post
Welcome to the world of brushless Paul!! Does Ian let you run that at Maritime - or was that at Sidcup with Simon?
Thanks Racingbod. Unfortunately Maritime will not let us run brushless (Yet!!!). It was my first visit to Sidcup and I really enjoyed myself. Had a great time, but need to do some setup work to catch up with the top 3 and whack up the gearing - It has been suggested I should run 5.0 FDR - I don't think i've got a pinion big enough! Simon was running a FDR of 6.0 ish I think but was with the older 13.5 with the bonded rotor i think.
Anyway, i'll hopefully be back up there again soon, i'm hooked on this brushless malarky - I've just bought a 4.5 to try at Barham!

Paul
__________________
ARC R11 2017
ARC R10 2013
EA Motorsports www.teameamotorsports.com
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #2349
Tech Elite
 
MR JOLLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell
Posts: 4,762
Default

Mutley
don't you get to far ahead of me

let me get my spek GTB/13.5 first

then i'll get the 6.5 9can't handle 5 or less (too old & shaky
__________________
EAMotorsports;;BRCA 27t National 2007 Champ's
FKO4,AdyB fan club !!
saying of the month;;The Past is History, the Future is a Mystery, this Moment is a Gift- that's why it's called The Present.
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #2350
Tech Master
 
sportpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,314
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I just switched to the 13.5 sintered motor. Hoolleee crap! That thing will pull whatever gear you put on it. I'm down to 5.4 FD in my Type R, motor is still coming off around 100F. It's weird buying spurs now to change ratios. When you can't fit that 44t pinion, something has to give. I'm putting one in my 12L now. Should be a treat.
__________________
-Tamiya TA05-R - Tamiya M05 - Summit Raceway Ft. Wayne, IN

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #2351
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,183
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
I just switched to the 13.5 sintered motor. Hoolleee crap! That thing will pull whatever gear you put on it. I'm down to 5.4 FD in my Type R, motor is still coming off around 100F. It's weird buying spurs now to change ratios. When you can't fit that 44t pinion, something has to give. I'm putting one in my 12L now. Should be a treat.
on my type R i was running a 4.03FDR 108/49 combo
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #2352
Tech Master
 
sportpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,314
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
on my type R i was running a 4.03FDR 108/49 combo
Amazing. I don't know if I'll get that low. This thing runs sweat with the Peak 3200 LiPos(cheap plug/highjack). Awesome motors.
__________________
-Tamiya TA05-R - Tamiya M05 - Summit Raceway Ft. Wayne, IN

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #2353
Tech Initiate
 
Mission Mad MI2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mission Mad MI2
Default GTB

Well I have just installed my GTB,8.5pro and done the setup procedure it all seems to work except the blue and ,amber light is staying on all the time as well as the red and green as you accelarate and brake .

Could someone please explain what i might be doing wrong And if so a remidy

Thanks in advance Mark
Mission Mad MI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #2354
Tech Addict
 
mutley001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY View Post
Mutley
don't you get to far ahead of me

let me get my spek GTB/13.5 first

then i'll get the 6.5 9can't handle 5 or less (too old & shaky
You and that FK04 will still give us a run for our money, no mater what I put in it!
No substitute for experience

Just gotta get hold of a 10.5 for 19 t racing now
__________________
ARC R11 2017
ARC R10 2013
EA Motorsports www.teameamotorsports.com
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #2355
Tech Elite
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

That means that the drag brake is enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Mad MI2 View Post
Well I have just installed my GTB,8.5pro and done the setup procedure it all seems to work except the blue and ,amber light is staying on all the time as well as the red and green as you accelarate and brake .

Could someone please explain what i might be doing wrong And if so a remidy

Thanks in advance Mark
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak GTB 4-cell Brusless Speed Controller Greg Amendola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 04-16-2008 12:59 PM
WTB: ASSOCIATED B44 W/ BRUSLESS SYSTEM levi m R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 02-15-2008 05:27 PM
brusless esc , maybe system jslider R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 11-18-2007 05:30 PM
Novak XBR Brusless/Brushed ESC Delyt R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 11-15-2007 09:44 AM
Novak 4.5 Brusless System Speedo/4.5 Motor w/Sintered installed mike ivy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-25-2006 06:57 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:42 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net