R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #2296
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarwill View Post
All,
... Any electrolitic cap of the same voltage and capacitance value will work. Their caps are nothing special.
I really wish people would stop saying things like this... we don't just randomly pick out capacitors for no reason

We pick capacitors from series of capacitors that have low ESRs... if you go to your local electronics store and pick up an off the shelf 10V 5600 uF cap for $0.29 you're more than likely going to end up with an ESC that doesn't perform as well and will eventually fail because common/cheap capacitors will not protect the ESC from the ripple voltage caused by the operation of the system.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #2297
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
I really wish people would stop saying things like this... we don't just randomly pick out capacitors for no reason.
I use headphone amplifiers with capacitors that cost more than an entire GTB. You've gotta love armchair electronic engineers.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #2298
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you mean i can't build a GTB from the crap at "the shack"?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #2299
Tech Regular

I'm so bummed out, I can't use that cap that I made out of a babyfood jar, tinfoil and seran wrap because it's not good enough? It's a sad day for me.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #2300
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation RE...Sintered10.5

I just got a new sintered 10.5 motor, I know I can use it with my GTB, but can I use it with my old 5800SS ???????
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:05 AM   #2301
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me why a GTB with a fresh charged nimh or lipo will cut out under hard accel. i have added an extra cap, and still draws enough power to cut out the speed control. Is it the spectrum radio receiver?
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #2302
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltapdout View Post
Can anyone tell me why a GTB with a fresh charged nimh or lipo will cut out under hard accel. i have added an extra cap, and still draws enough power to cut out the speed control. Is it the spectrum radio receiver?
you have the old spektrum receiver?? If so, that's probably the reason... however it is unlikely that with a fresh pack you will go lower than 4.0v, that usually happens after some minutes (unless you have some bad cells on that pack), but one never knows ..... have you tried to add the spektrum cap to the receiver?? I use pro and micro receivers with the GTB and 3.5/5.5r and never got an cut-out... and I'm using 5 cell on asphalt...

Last edited by rampal; 06-19-2007 at 05:29 AM.
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:26 AM   #2303
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL View Post
I just got a new sintered 10.5 motor, I know I can use it with my GTB, but can I use it with my old 5800SS ???????
if it is lower than 225W you can... wait, this table http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...spec_chart.htm says yours is 235W.... Charliee, help!!

sorry dude, that's a question for the Novak guys...
Old 06-19-2007, 05:15 AM   #2304
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Mission Mad MI2
Default Concerned

I have just received my new Novak GTB,SS8.5 Pro which is what I ordered a few weeks ago ,But I have since bought a Futaba 2.4gz system for my 3PK not thinking on my behalf that the Spread Spectrum GTB would have been better .

Will this be a problem for me or should i try to exchange it .

Cheers Mark

PS It is all still in the Box and has not been fitted
Mission Mad MI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #2305
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampal View Post
you have the old spektrum receiver?? If so, that's probably the reason... however it is unlikely that with a fresh pack you will go lower than 4.0v, that usually happens after some minutes (unless you have some bad cells on that pack), but one never knows ..... have you tried to add the spektrum cap to the receiver?? I use pro and micro receivers with the GTB and 3.5/5.5r and never gets an cut-out... and I'm using 5 cell on asphalt...
The old spectrum will not do this. I use it and has worked fine with 2 GTB's. Try a different radio if possible. But I do not htink that is were it is at. Check your motor or esc further.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #2306
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Mad MI2 View Post
I have just received my new Novak GTB,SS8.5 Pro which is what I ordered a few weeks ago ,But I have since bought a Futaba 2.4gz system for my 3PK not thinking on my behalf that the Spread Spectrum GTB would have been better .

Will this be a problem for me or should i try to exchange it .

Cheers Mark

PS It is all still in the Box and has not been fitted

No problem, the only thing the Spread Spektrum has is that its FETs switch faster, thus is less prone to ESC thermaling issues. Nevertheless, a normal GTB can be used by both FM and Spektrum as always. the Sread Spektrum only with 2.4GHz based systems. Basically, it's up to you.

cheers,
al
Old 06-21-2007, 01:59 AM   #2307
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

bought that vlocity heat sleeve heat sink and the fitment is like...wow. Are you f---ing kidding me Novak? Wtf were you retards thinking when you machined this?

Did you guys actually measure it out? I love how in the directions it states "simply slide on the new heat sleeve over the stator". Slide? Wait, wait. Slide? Hammering it from 5 points im at 68 minutes so far. Its very close, I would say another 20-30 minutes of hammering will get it on there.

Thanks, oh and f--- you.
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 AM   #2308
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the one I have I put a little silicone grease inside and slid and twisted it right on. I figured the extra tight fit, along with a little silicone would help transfer the HEAT out of the motor (where the purple ring fits pretty loose, so it wouldn't transfer heat well)

I suppose some 220 grit sand paper or something through the inside would give you a little more clearence...but I'd think THE TIGHTER THE BETTER...it's probably good for 10 watts, and an extra 20 degrees in motor cooling.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:29 AM   #2309
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
bought that vlocity heat sleeve heat sink and the fitment is like...wow. Are you f---ing kidding me Novak? Wtf were you retards thinking when you machined this?

Did you guys actually measure it out? I love how in the directions it states "simply slide on the new heat sleeve over the stator". Slide? Wait, wait. Slide? Hammering it from 5 points im at 68 minutes so far. Its very close, I would say another 20-30 minutes of hammering will get it on there.

Thanks, oh and f--- you.
I'm not from Novak, but to put mine on (and that's was a tight fit), i heat a glass of water to the boiling point. With the thermal sticky stuff already on the ring, I put only the fins on the boiling water and with silicone kitchen gloves slide the ring on, pretty easily... just be careful to not to drop the motor on the water.... I also reccomend you take the

I also get very upset on the beginning, but using the hammer was out of the question....

cheers,
Old 06-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #2310
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampal View Post
I'm not from Novak, but to put mine on (and that's was a tight fit), i heat a glass of water to the boiling point. With the thermal sticky stuff already on the ring, I put only the fins on the boiling water and with silicone kitchen gloves slide the ring on, pretty easily... just be careful to not to drop the motor on the water.... I also reccomend you take the

I also get very upset on the beginning, but using the hammer was out of the question....

cheers,
lol. Why would you need to do any of that, it should just SLIDE on like the instructions say. Wait, it doesn't, because its poorly manufactured.

Novak, your excellent customer service will NEVER make up for your lack in product. The motor ended up being junked with the sleeve still on it because i could not hammer it on any more. The aluminum just was too soft and mushroomed so it would never completely go on. I tried to salvage the poorly manufactured aluminum junk from the junk can but it was siezed on there (because it was so tight). Ended up trashing both peices and will sac $125 at the LHS for another ss13.5 w/ heat sleeve.

I will then take the new poorly machined sleeve and sand off some material from the inside.

Please recall this product and make it fit right.
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote