Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Novak Brusless System >

New Novak Brusless System

New Novak Brusless System

Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

The sensor wires are pretty tough to shorten. The wire used is teflon stuff and it's a pain to solder with. I've seen most "shortening" jobs come in for replacement.

The power wires can be shortened no problem, but the sensor wires are a "at your own risk" as they are tricky to say the least.

JS- No problem, I didn't think so.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Charlie-Can I bridge alll the negative wires close to the ESC with say 16gauge wire and bring only one 12 or 14g wire to the negatove motor tab on a brushed motor?

My Ti3 cans for example have the smallest battery terminals. I cannot see soldering on all three wires.

Thanks,
Ray
p.s. Your my hero
Old 09-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Ray, Yup. I'd do it with a single piece of 14awg though. Just strip enough to cover the whole thing. Or, put a strip of wire across the bottom, and a single comming out.

For the Brushed Mode, you use the 3 motor power leads as the Motor Negative.

Gracias
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Got it-thanks!!

Ray
Old 09-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Charlie,
I am planning on using the Velocity 6.5 and GTB Brushless system with a 4-cell setup in a Xray TC. Instruction manual suggests to keep the gear ratio btwn 8.5 to 7.75. With 4 cells what ratio would you suggest? 1st time trying 4 cell with a TC, I've always run the novak 4300 system with 6 cells with a gear ratio btwn 7.32 to 7.00. I have never used Brushed motors.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default punch control

Hi charlie
I was asking my self how to make something similar to a punch control in our radio.
I mean what does gtb basis to know if it have to give more current or not.
Could it be revolution based?
or it would be more like the current sent to motor?
And i would like to know another thing. Where is the manual to download, i have ordered mine a week ago but i cant wait to know more about these powerful sistem.
And a last one, does novak motors 6.5 and 5.5 have released any maintence set of bearings? Why does 4300 and 5800 replace whole end bell?cant be the bearing removed from there or is an especial sensor bearing?
Im sorry about my english, its horrible, i know, but im spanish and still couldnt practice so much.
Thank you charlie
Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by toritor
Hi charlie

...And i would like to know another thing. Where is the manual to download, i have ordered mine a week ago but i cant wait to know more about these powerful sistem. ....

Thank you charlie
Toritor,

Check out Team novaks web page or click on the link below...

link to Team novak Instruction page
Old 09-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default gtb

alright i am considering a brushless system and as most of my esc's are novak, thinking of staying with the same.

question is though, does the gtb have the capability to limit the the motor
(ie. 6.5) to like a stock rpm. i know the lrp has the sportsman mode that limits the neo 1 to like 24,000rpm.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

The manuals got put up yesterday.

Gearing on 4 cells will be tough as nothing gets hot, start at the recomended gearing and adjust on feel. Most likely you'll be able to gear it up quite a bit.

There will be replacment endbells and bearings for the Velociti Motors as well.

There is no Limiting in the GTB. We intended to make changes with motors. ESC adjustments generally create feel problems, or other issues. They don't "feel right" or people use the settings incorrectly, and blame the product for doing something wrong. So we figure, give them all the power they can use, and let those expensive radios do some work. EXPO adjustments are what you're looking for. negative expo will make the throttle feel more mellow. I got in 5% incriments.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is there any hope to make software that can produce a brushed drag type feel? The "drag brake" on the SS+ was to simply put some brake to the motor when you bring the throttle to neutral. That is not how a brushed motor feels. If you are moving at all with a brushed motor and you back off a bit, the motor drags down. Unless the new GTB has a different "drag-brake" than the SS+ I suspect the brushed guys will still not like the way brushless "drives".

That is one of the complaints I've heard from the brushed guys.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

I'd say the drag brakes in the GTB system due to the Velociti motors being stronger are better "feel-wise" then theSS system.

But regular motors feel bad, why would we want to make our linear system with linear brakes feel unlinear.

After about 3-4 packs, you'll never want to run a regular motor. The added precision of the throttle and brakes are very likable.

Nothing will EVER feel exacatly like a brushed motor, it's impossible to recreate the ineffiency of them, and how they react to RPM, heat, and voltage.

I work with our team drivers directly at the races, it is typically a matter of simply finding the right setting for them. Noone has told me it's exactly like a brushed motor, they almost all say the like it a lot better. More control, more precision. These are guys that always run Mod, and at major events and get factory motor builds. So I trust their opinions.

The ones who didn't like it right away, we simply made some adjustments until they were happy. It's just minimum drive and brake brake settings.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

i have had mine for a couple of days now,, and all i have to say is WOW!!!!

something about the power band,, is just so much better than a brushed motor,, very very smooth excelleration,,, and of all things i have it in a xtm xcellerator which i plan on racing,, if i can get enough practice in on the track with this monster of a motor,, just plainly insane.. i love this thing..

i just need to find something for my mrc academy sb sport,, 4wd buggies are harder to gear right for brushless.. but i may try out the ss5800
Old 09-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hope that is true Charlie, I am 100% brushless (I own no brushed stuff), but in my area brushless has not caught on yet and that is one of the reasons I hear.

The software programming for a "brushed" motor feel would be pretty simple. Just have the throttle setting "seek" an RPM and as the throttle becomes further away from the actual motor speed, you drive to motor harder to get to that speed (whether faster or slower). It's just a simple feedback system, can't remember the exact name from Engineering school.

Hopefully you guys will have something like the Castle Creation USB link and as you (Novak) update software we can simply download and update our own ESC at home.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hi Charlie,

I just wanted to know where I can buy a GTB 5.5 system from? (Online) As my normal hobbies shops (Stormer, KT Hobbies, Speedtech and Precision RC) do not have the unit in stock. I would love to get one asap. Can you please advise on any other shops that have the units in stock.

Regards,
Leonard Lai.

P.S. I live in Australia. (so I need a hobby shop that ships o/s and please don't recommend Tower Hobbies as I have had very poor service from them in the past).
Old 09-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Can anyone thats got the system fitted in their TC's post pics and also comment on performance. Still waiting for mine. Tower better not be joking about the shipping confirmation they sent me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.