R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #2161
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well I hooked up my friends 5.5 and smoked it and it wasn't even in the car. never made it to the track. guess I'll be sending it back.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #2162
Tech Rookie

how come the "Novak Velociti Ribbed Bearing & Endbell Replacement " only comes with the front ribb can. why not also the rear peice near the solder tabs?
POOKGAI66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #2163
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer
well I hooked up my friends 5.5 and smoked it and it wasn't even in the car. never made it to the track. guess I'll be sending it back.
Your's runs in reverse and your "friends" let the smoke out? What's the common denominator here?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #2164
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bad speed control darryl... guess you still get to beat my brushed motor car this sunday.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #2165
Tech Regular

If you're having speedo problems, it's a good idea to send back the motor also. I've never had a Novak brushless speedo let go but I have had motors let go. They will do strange things when they quit and it can take the speedo out. Had one thermal the speedo inside 30 sec.

One thing to check on the motors (especially the older ones) is that they aren't shorted out. I've had one short out because it got too much heat during soldering. Just look under the plastic end cap and double check. Normally it's a busted cap but I don't think that there are caps on the new motors (took them off of my 5.5 and it's fine).

Sometimes you can feel a short in the motor by just turning it over by hand. Feels like there's a big drag in one spot.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #2166
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey novak, how about you guys give a lesson to the people at tower hobbies what "sintered and rib can motor" is.

i just bought a 7.5r from towerhobbies and in their product description it specifically says "Upgraded with sintered rotor and ribbed end bells"

Last edited by GymBeam; 05-02-2007 at 05:33 PM.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #2167
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Nash,

Sorry to hear you're having such trouble with the stuff I know you've been anxious to run it for a while now

We'll get you all sorted out I'm sure!

Pookgai66,

The reason it doesn't come with the rear ribbed endbell is because the motor would need some SERIOUS disassembly for you to be able to replace that part of the motor.

It involves alot of unsoldering/soldering which most people just don't have the knowledge or equipment to do.

Also, removing that endbell would mean that the sensor assembly would be removed and getting that back in and timed correctly are not exactly easy things for just anyone w/o the proper equipment to do either.

Gymbeam,

I will pass this along and hopefully we can get it sorted out!

Also to everyone,

Unregistered is right that we do like to see both the motor and the ESC whenever you are having trouble just so we can be sure to get you back up and running as quickly as possible without dilly dallying around w/ half the system at a time!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #2168
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Has anybody ever asked Novak if its possible to send in one of their BL motors and get the sensor wire shortened?

I know they don't want us to do it, but I've never heard whether they would.

Steve Weiss...I had a question....see above.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #2169
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Steve Weiss...I had a question....see above.
i have my 5.5 novak motor that I shorten sensor wires for over 1 1/2 years with no problems, it will void the warranty for sure, but it was time comsumming to solder each little wire and heat shrinck it
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #2170
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
dilly dallying around
Is that the official term?
Tony Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #2171
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
i have my 5.5 novak motor that I shorten sensor wires for over 1 1/2 years with no problems, it will void the warranty for sure, but it was time comsumming to solder each little wire and heat shrinck it
Thanks for the info Marcos.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #2172
The Evicerator

Darkseid,

Unfortunately we cannot do custom wiring for people
Old 05-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #2173
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Darkseid,

Unfortunately we cannot do custom wiring for people
No prob...

Just asking to see.

Just curious, why doesn't novak make the sensor wire plug into the motor so that it could be change to a short unit like with LRP motors? Raise the cost of the motor too much?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #2174
The Evicerator

I don't really think cost was the issue so much as that they felt like it would be easier for a plug to come undone durring a race and cause a failure.

2 sensor wire connectors is twice as many possibilities to get pulled out in a crash or something
Old 05-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #2175
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam
Hey novak, how about you guys give a lesson to the idiots at tower hobbies what "sintered and rib can motor" is.

i just bought a 7.5r from towerhobbies and in their product description it specifically says "Upgraded with sintered rotor and ribbed end bells"

however all i got is the old version

and this is the reply i got from them, when i told them they sent me old stock.
I just recieved a 6.5r system and got the same old motor... I thought everything was updated???