R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-19-2007, 05:38 AM   #2131
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy147
thanks for the help its a Trinity D6 12 turn double competition motor
damn!!! you really beating hard your TT01 , does it really handle right?
DrKucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #2132
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy147
so theres no way of it being possible, for instance upgrading the spur and pinion gears? i currently have a 12 turn motor in there and it seems to go quite well but how much faster is the 3.5r?
I don't think 3.5R is suitable for TT01. Why ? 3.5R need final gear ratio like 10 - 11 while TT01 maximum final gear ratio is 8.35 ( 19T pinion and 61T spur ). 3.5R motor could end up deep fried ( over geared ).

I think Noval Brushless 6.5 or 7.5 is more reasonable for TT01.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #2133
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKucho
LOL!!!! rampalus !!!!, i asked novak for a group global price for my SS, SS+, and GTB , but im afraid that is not possible , i had to try .... LOL

i will send them all to repair anyway i can even use one of the SS for crawling use with BL outrunner motor, i heard that someone is using those motors with really good result as they run so good at very low speed

good luck on that!!! anyway, I'm thinking on getting a second GTB, you know.... perhaps the spread spektrum is a wise choice...
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #2134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racingbod85
novak recommend 10-10.5 so I'd say outdoors big track 9.75 good place to start. especially if you have a sintered rotor. just make sure it's not too hot

thank for the idea, will try it out, safe to say that 9.75 is the lowest i go right...if too hot than try higher value right ...
Old 04-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #2135
Tech Regular

Hey guys, I just got the GTB with 4.5. The guys at my local track said that the 4.5 is going to be way to hot for my 4wd off-road car. Anyway to slow it down? Could I just setup my transmitter so I don't get 100 percent full throttle. They said a 6.5 will be more suitable, but I just don't wanna fork out the money for that just yet, and I don't want to run one of my regular mod motors. Is there anyway to make this 4.5 work and slow it down LOL. Is there any adjustment via esc I can change?
silence360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #2136
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
Hey guys...just wanted to point out our new article here:

How To Build a Dual Trans-Cap Unit for the Novak GTB

can you make a few up and sell these?
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #2137
Tech Initiate

you can gear it higher (i.e. use a bigger spur or a smaller pinion) and/or decrease the throttle epa. try gearing it higher first, you'll get better acceleration this way too in addition to lowering the top end speed (and keeping your esc cooler), before decreasing the throttle epa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence360
Hey guys, I just got the GTB with 4.5. The guys at my local track said that the 4.5 is going to be way to hot for my 4wd off-road car. Anyway to slow it down? Could I just setup my transmitter so I don't get 100 percent full throttle. They said a 6.5 will be more suitable, but I just don't wanna fork out the money for that just yet, and I don't want to run one of my regular mod motors. Is there anyway to make this 4.5 work and slow it down LOL. Is there any adjustment via esc I can change?
sidewaysdriver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #2138
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysdriver6
you can gear it higher (i.e. use a bigger spur or a smaller pinion) and/or decrease the throttle epa. try gearing it higher first, you'll get better acceleration this way too in addition to lowering the top end speed (and keeping your esc cooler), before decreasing the throttle epa.
Guys....

Don't set EPA ( full throttle ) below 100% as easy way...... The ESC heatsink will be hotter, why ? because ESC FET work as current limiter. At full throttle, the ESC doesn't limit the current, thus it will unleash full battery power to motor, On the otherhand, the ESC must limit full battery power ( lets say 80% full throttle ) and convert the excess 20% as heat.

You can try 5 cells ( 6V ) with 8 to 9 final gear ratio. Don't go higher or lower ratio ---> follow the gear ratio as in novak specification. However you can reduce the speed or power from battery power, ex. using 5 cells.

( I made mistake in the past, I bought 3.5R for 1/12 car..... it's crazy too fast, I cannot drive it at full throttle. So I keep driving it half throttle, and I notice the heatsink become too hot ...... even 1/12 cars are only using 4 cells. Now I'm using more reasonable power for 1/12 cars : 7.5R ).
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #2139
Tech Initiate

thanks asw7576 for the clear explanation of why reducing the throttle epa isn't recommended. i remembered reading on the mamba max FAQs that it wasn't recommended (which was why i recommended changing the gear ratio first), but your explanation is definitely much clearer than that FAQ and i finally "got it" .

this is strictly mho though : i like your suggestion to reduce the cell count, although from a practical perspective if i'm running a buggy one day and a touring car another day i'd probably like to use the same 6-cell batt instead of having one 5-cell for the buggy and one 6-cell for the touring car, from a cost (and maybe even an ease of use) perspective. but this is purely a personal preference.

i beg to differ on the gearing issue however - i see novak's gear ratios as recommendations, as long as you don't gear lower than what they recommend i believe you should be fine, but gearing higher (but not too much) than the recommendation is fine too as long as you're happy with the speed and temps you get. so for me the key things are not to go lower than the recommended ratios and make sure the esc and motor temps do not go above the "safe" temp range.

for e.g., i'm using a 6.5r (with a GTB ESC). the novak recommended gear ratio for touring (rubber tyres) with this motor is 7.75-8.5:1. i set the gear ratio a bit higher, at 9.23:1, but i'm using this for drifting on concrete grounds with pvc tyres. the speed is just great for what i want; esc and motor temps are maxing at about 105 deg F (and this is after a 40mins run), which is well below the "comfortable" limits of 160-180 deg F. i'm very pleased with the setup.

my point is i do believe gearing should be the 1st thing to play around with. if with a higher gearing it's still too fast or too hot then a lower cell-count may be the way to go, as dropping the throttle epa isn't a good approach to use as has been explained by asw7576.

though i think the optimal solution is to get a 6.5/7.5r for the buggy !

just mho .

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Guys....

Don't set EPA ( full throttle ) below 100% as easy way...... The ESC heatsink will be hotter, why ? because ESC FET work as current limiter. At full throttle, the ESC doesn't limit the current, thus it will unleash full battery power to motor, On the otherhand, the ESC must limit full battery power ( lets say 80% full throttle ) and convert the excess 20% as heat.

You can try 5 cells ( 6V ) with 8 to 9 final gear ratio. Don't go higher or lower ratio ---> follow the gear ratio as in novak specification. However you can reduce the speed or power from battery power, ex. using 5 cells.

( I made mistake in the past, I bought 3.5R for 1/12 car..... it's crazy too fast, I cannot drive it at full throttle. So I keep driving it half throttle, and I notice the heatsink become too hot ...... even 1/12 cars are only using 4 cells. Now I'm using more reasonable power for 1/12 cars : 7.5R ).
sidewaysdriver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:54 AM   #2140
Tech Regular

Last edited by GymBeam; 04-22-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #2141
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwintklee
thank for the idea, will try it out, safe to say that 9.75 is the lowest i go right...if too hot than try higher value right ...
Yup - unless you do have a monster track but I doubt you'll need to go much lower!
Carpetwars/Sidcup RCC/Maritime Racing/7oaksmcc
Racingbod85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #2142
Tech Regular

I see that the wattage figures for the non sintered velociti motors are...

Watts: 380(5.5R), 340(6.5R), and 275(7.5R)

and the figures for the sintered velociti motors are...

Watts: 420(5.5R), 390(6.5R), and 340(7.5R)

So basically

a 7.5R with sintered rotor = 6.5 non sintered

a 6.5R with sintered rotor = 5.5 non sintered

?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #2143
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Watts =/= speed

try comparing the wattage of a non sintered 13.5 with a sintered 13.5 and a regular brushed motor, provided similar batteries they will have the same overall speed
SpeedyPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #2144
Tech Adept

ihave just got a 10.5 system what roll out should i use . i use 32.92 mm at press with a 19t atlas ea motor. rubber tyres on carpet please some one give me a starting point.
Aid1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #2145
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aid1970
ihave just got a 10.5 system what roll out should i use . i use 32.92 mm at press with a 19t atlas ea motor. rubber tyres on carpet please some one give me a starting point.
anyone opposed to starting a novak brushless thread just for the 10.5 system? and leaving this one to the rest of the systems?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote