R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #1651
Tech Master
 
pheyhoe's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: England!
Posts: 1,332
Default

I always wondered why there was no cooling vents on brushless... I assume there is a reason. Wontdirt mess up how it works? like on a brushed motor there are two surface contacting so dirt will be thrown off even if it gets on the brushess.

Now im no expert on how brushless works but if there is a layer of crap between the two surfaces that create the magnetic field etc wont it effect performance? I could be talking a load of bull but there must be a reason for not having vents.
__________________
[SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Paul Heyhoe[/COLOR][/SIZE]
pheyhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #1652
Tech Addict
 
AngryAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 550
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
WOw!!... vents... mesh!!, caps?!!

That's something different. What's that off? Who's car is it?
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #1653
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,209
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAsian
WOw!!... vents... mesh!!, caps?!!

That's something different. What's that off? Who's car is it?
its on a Cyclone atleast!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:56 AM   #1654
Tech Master
 
Deves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Ok guys just had to post again.
I geared up 7 teeth on the pinion from 23 to 30 and down 6 teeth on the spur from a 96 to a 90 this is on an Xray T1fk and now I can say...This thing rips!!! Lots of low end torque and great speed!!!! can't wait for the next race!!!!
Deves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:10 AM   #1655
Tech Master
 
HB Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 1,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deves
Ok guys just had to post again.
I geared up 7 teeth on the pinion from 23 to 30 and down 6 teeth on the spur from a 96 to a 90 this is on an Xray T1fk and now I can say...This thing rips!!! Lots of low end torque and great speed!!!! can't wait for the next race!!!!
Ok, Mark so whats that make the roll out? A few of us have been running the 13.5 at SoCal. The more we get the sooner we take over Stock.
__________________
Bruce "Moose" Riedinger
HB Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:15 AM   #1656
Tech Fanatic
 
Nexus Racing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 848
Default

There are already some capacitors underneath the plastic cap that covers the back endbell. I have seen someone knock one of those capacitors off and replace it with a standard motor cap, but I'm not sure why any additional capacitors would be needed . Maybe this racer just accidentally knocked his original caps off when he took the motor apart to cut the vent holes?
__________________
NEXUSRACING.com
Nexus Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #1657
Tech Master
 
Deves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Moose, How you doing?
I don't calculate the rollout. I see your still running at So cal.... When you gonna come out and play in the parking lot?
Deves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:43 AM   #1658
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 230
Default

Hi All,

I am new to brushless, and am going to purchase a brushless system soon.

can you perhaps tell me what the different systems to compare to certain wind brushed motors?

Like a 3.5 compares to what brushed?
4.5 compares to what brushed?
5.5 compares to what brushed?
6.5 compares to what brushed?

Also what rollout would one use on the relevant brushless motors ?

Thanks
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:57 AM   #1659
Tech Master
 
pheyhoe's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: England!
Posts: 1,332
Default

I am running the 3.5 indoor on carpet on a medium size track on 11.5.

Turned up full its about the same as a 6 turn. with LIPO its even faster
__________________
[SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Paul Heyhoe[/COLOR][/SIZE]
pheyhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #1660
Tech Adept
 
BlueR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 129
Default

Hi qestion to novak...

I hard-wire the battery wire to my battery.

if we turn off the ESC by the switch, unsolder off battery wire, there will be still some residual charge left in the capacitor.

if the wires were to touch, with some charge left in the cap, it would short, would it do damage to the ESC?

i sure this has been tested?

I always make it a habbit of turing the switch on then off after i have removed the battery wires, is this necessary?

thanks

Last edited by BlueR1; 11-23-2006 at 02:41 PM.
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #1661
Tech Adept
 
BlueR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap
Like a 3.5 compares to what brushed?
4.5 compares to what brushed?
5.5 compares to what brushed?
6.5 compares to what brushed?
rough rule....

double it minus 1....


so 3.5 = 6 to 7 turn
4.5r = 8 to 9
.

6.5 turn = 12 to 13 turn
.
.
13.5 turn = 26 to 27 turn


gearing is shown in the manual. u can download off novaks website.
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #1662
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deves
Moose, How you doing?
I don't calculate the rollout. I see your still running at So cal.... When you gonna come out and play in the parking lot?
May I ask rubber or foam...? Not calulation the roll out probably only works on brushelss stock motor....if running something like 3.5.....that will be a thermal for sure.

Anyhow, I think I really need to gear up SKY HIGH to get close to those brush motor.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #1663
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
Hi qestion to novak...

I hard-wire the battery wire to my battery.

if we turn off the ESC by the switch, unsolder off battery wire, there will be still some residual charge left in the capacitor.

if the wires were to touch, with some charge left in the cap, it would short, would it do damage to the ESC?

i sure this has been tested?

I always make it a habbit of turing the switch on then off after i have removed the battery wires, is this necessary?

thanks
I was told by Charlie @ Novak and several experrence drive that use GTB....the spark is absolutely normal ( I too were new about that when that happened to me)....that spark tells me the GTB capacity it take charge and working normal, however, if I don't see the spark while soldering the batteries, that is the time to replace the cap.....that was what I was told.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #1664
Tech Master
 
pheyhoe's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: England!
Posts: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
rough rule....

double it minus 1....


so 3.5 = 6 to 7 turn
4.5r = 8 to 9
.

6.5 turn = 12 to 13 turn
.
.
13.5 turn = 26 to 27 turn


gearing is shown in the manual. u can download off novaks website.
I found the recommended ratio from Novak was a little too low. Also the higher you gear the faster these beasts go
__________________
[SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Paul Heyhoe[/COLOR][/SIZE]
pheyhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #1665
Tech Adept
 
BlueR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara
I was told by Charlie @ Novak and several experrence drive that use GTB....the spark is absolutely normal ( I too were new about that when that happened to me)....that spark tells me the GTB capacity it take charge and working normal, however, if I don't see the spark while soldering the batteries, that is the time to replace the cap.....that was what I was told.

i meant when u do this..

after the run. turn the swith to off position

un-solder the wires.

now there is still charge in the capacitor.

Now if the -ve and +ve ESC wires were now to touch, it would SHORT the residual charge thats in the capacitor.

was wondering if this millisecond short would cause problems? maybe thats why a few of them have problems?
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak GTB 4-cell Brusless Speed Controller Greg Amendola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 04-16-2008 12:59 PM
WTB: ASSOCIATED B44 W/ BRUSLESS SYSTEM levi m R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 02-15-2008 05:27 PM
brusless esc , maybe system jslider R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 11-18-2007 05:30 PM
Novak XBR Brusless/Brushed ESC Delyt R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 11-15-2007 09:44 AM
Novak 4.5 Brusless System Speedo/4.5 Motor w/Sintered installed mike ivy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-25-2006 06:57 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net