R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #1516
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I got a look at the new heatsink from Novak last night. It replaces the ugly purple "ring" on the motors with a new one that's got a heatsink built into it. So, it's more like a part of the motor than something that just clips on to the outside. It also comes with thermal paste to make sure you get the most heat transfer possible. I'm gonna get a black one, purple isn't my thing.

Has anybody tried polishing the can of their brushless motors? I saw that this guy did it, and thought I might give it a try. The motor would look pretty bling polished with the black heatsink. I bet it's worth 3,000 RPM at least!

HELLO LARRY BRADSHAW!!! What we need to see is a Team Tamale version of this heat sink with pretapped and positioned M3 screw holes and a 1mm standoff/lip to attach 2-3 25 mm fans like his clamp on brushed fan mount. Whos with me?!!
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #1517
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,211
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
HELLO LARRY BRADSHAW!!! What we need to see is a Team Tamale version of this heat sink with pretapped and positioned M3 screw holes and a 1mm standoff/lip to attach 2-3 25 mm fans like his clamp on brushed fan mount. Whos with me?!!
with this new heat sink you can already mount any 25 x 25 mm fan with out any modifications.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:17 AM   #1518
Tech Master
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,439
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Is the 13.5 sold as a package with a speedy?
__________________
SMOKEM --- XPRESS --- MONTECH --- SRT
veecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:29 AM   #1519
Tech Fanatic
 
zacabrandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 913
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Help with Thermalling Problems

This has probably been answered previously but I'm asking again anyway.

We have the Australian Titles coming up in about 5 weeks and I have a few racing colleagues competiting in Mod and are running the Novak Brushless systems, all various set ups from 3.5 - 4.5 and 4 cell to 6 cell, all experience thermal shut downs at a ridiculously repetative rate.

I am aksing for a solution for two reasons, I want to help them out and figure you guy's O/S have had the system longer and any factory drivers out there might be able to help and I am looking at getting into modified brushless as well and dont want to spend a fortune on a set up thjat quite honestly is pretty crap really. Good power and all that but cant even last a five minute race here in Australia and we aren't even in our hottest part of the year.

They are trying everything they can think of like dry ice in a cap under the fan to freeze spray and the usuall oversurply of fans etc.

It is really getting stupid now and these guy's have spent a lot of money and are not getting their value so Im asking if anyone has the cure to this problem.

If you can help me out please do so as this problem has the potential to make a mockery of the driving talent we have in our Nationals Modified group.

Thanks in advance for your help
zacabrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #1520
Tech Fanatic
 
Drewdc90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunshine Coast Australia
Posts: 828
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Hi zacabrandy I know of the problems you are talking about, I only finished two races (one heat and one final) at the Qld's because of thermals. Since then I have bought a motor cooler like the much more one. I tested this motor cooler today and my motor came off the track at 54 degrees C when it usually thermals or comes off at 70 degrees C. I think this is the only way to fix it as well as running as I do. Hope you don't run into any problems, it is a great system, it just runs too hot here in Aus.
Drew.
__________________
-Xray--Nosram--Orion--Trak Power--Duratrax--Spektrum--Futaba-

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:06 AM   #1521
Tech Fanatic
 
zacabrandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 913
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdc90
Hi zacabrandy I know of the problems you are talking about, I only finished two races (one heat and one final) at the Qld's because of thermals. Since then I have bought a motor cooler like the much more one. I tested this motor cooler today and my motor came off the track at 54 degrees C when it usually thermals or comes off at 70 degrees C. I think this is the only way to fix it as well as running as I do. Hope you don't run into any problems, it is a great system, it just runs too hot here in Aus.
Drew.
Thanks mate,

Are you talking about those Peltier coolers that we used at the Qld's prior to putting the cars on the track?

If so I'm not sure whether the guy's have been using thses things, I know they have been playing with the stuff Andy Cooke was using, the freeze spray his pit guy was spraying just before the start, but they we all still thermalling at Brendale today.

It's got me buggered how easy it is to fail. I guess Novak are working on a fix for the problem, I just hope they do it quickly and inexpensively.

Thanks again for your help mate, Ill let them now to give that a shot. Can't hurt right

Cheers
zacabrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:11 AM   #1522
Tech Champion
 
heavy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,139
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacabrandy
This has probably been answered previously but I'm asking again anyway.

We have the Australian Titles coming up in about 5 weeks and I have a few racing colleagues competiting in Mod and are running the Novak Brushless systems, all various set ups from 3.5 - 4.5 and 4 cell to 6 cell, all experience thermal shut downs at a ridiculously repetative rate.

I am aksing for a solution for two reasons, I want to help them out and figure you guy's O/S have had the system longer and any factory drivers out there might be able to help and I am looking at getting into modified brushless as well and dont want to spend a fortune on a set up thjat quite honestly is pretty crap really. Good power and all that but cant even last a five minute race here in Australia and we aren't even in our hottest part of the year.

They are trying everything they can think of like dry ice in a cap under the fan to freeze spray and the usuall oversurply of fans etc.

It is really getting stupid now and these guy's have spent a lot of money and are not getting their value so Im asking if anyone has the cure to this problem.

If you can help me out please do so as this problem has the potential to make a mockery of the driving talent we have in our Nationals Modified group.

Thanks in advance for your help
I think that it is a fair over statement of the problem to say "all experience thermal shut downs at a ridiculously repetative rate. " Scott was running a 3.5 today and didn't experience that problem. He is running a standard "Cool can fan" set up and having no problems. Many of teh problems are being caused by people trying to run gear ratios beyond what the motor is capable of pulling just because they are running on a large open track. Scott had on thermaling problems at the Qld's either.
__________________
Honorary Life Member Logan RCCC -Mi6EVO and Serpent F1
Honorary Life Member Chargers RCCC -Cat K1 Aero
Life Member Bayside RCCC -Schumacher Mi6EVO
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #1523
Tech Fanatic
 
zacabrandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 913
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I agree Heavy and you are quite correct, it's just that by rights a driver should be able to extract the limit from the product without these problems occuring all the tiem, so maybe what Scott's been doing is the limit and he now has a good set up for the titles. May not be as fast in a straight line but he will finish the race and from previous events, thats a definite advantage to have.

Hopefully though someone has found a solution and is willing to share it with us, becuase I think these systems are the way of the future so it would be nice to be able to go hard without getting cut short.
zacabrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #1524
Tech Master
 
scott_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brisbane, Aus
Posts: 1,786
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to scott_g Send a message via Skype™ to scott_g
Default

Zacabrandy, from what I saw today there were plenty of people making time without big dramas - certainly better than the hot day at the Titles 2 weeks ago. The majority of the field today were running 3.5 motors, and with ambient temps in the low-mid 30's with track temps of above 60c, I thought most of the guys had a pretty fair handle on it. Some were experimenting with gearing and had thermal issues, but by the end of the day I think most were on top of it. Most people aren't doing anything too nuts - a couple of fans and a motor cooler plus running the right gear ratios sorts the temp issue for most.

In the end the fact remains. I'd rather run the brushless and thermal if I overdrive or get the gear ratio wrong, than run brushed and throw a wind if I make the same mistakes. At least after thermal I can come back next run with a fully functional motor and correct my gear ratio and go again. It is still massive horsepower that is largely maintenance free - that's why I like it!
__________________
schumacher, speedpassion and more plus race blog at www.actionrc.com.au
twittering @ scottyg_rc
scott_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #1525
Tech Addict
 
dbmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 641
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I have discovered a cure for my thermals, For the longest time, i would keep shutting down at the 3.5 minute mark with my 4.5, I eventually switched back to the 5.5 so i would make a full race. I then in practice set my min. drive to the setting 1, from both the 2 and 3 settings. I ran 6.5 minutes in 90 degree wether. ran the same setup the hext day in both my heat / main, and did not have any shut downs. By the way, the car was still a rocket

fdr 10.17, did not try a higher gera, but didn't need to as the car was plenty fast.

Temp coming off track was 157 degrees
-
My settings were
7 on drag brake
1 on min drive
3 on the min brake setting
everything else is default.
__________________
FSEARA - Top Photon - Jacks Hobbies
dbmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #1526
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,999
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacabrandy
I agree Heavy and you are quite correct, it's just that by rights a driver should be able to extract the limit from the product without these problems occuring all the tiem, so maybe what Scott's been doing is the limit and he now has a good set up for the titles. May not be as fast in a straight line but he will finish the race and from previous events, thats a definite advantage to have.

Hopefully though someone has found a solution and is willing to share it with us, becuase I think these systems are the way of the future so it would be nice to be able to go hard without getting cut short.
The new arm solves all that but it's not Roar legal yet. Also another thing I've seen from racers out my way is that they are all over geared. I run mine at 11.1-10.6 FDR with a 4.5 motor. I don't run on a huge track like some of the over seas guys but I'm heavy on the breaks which heats up the fets which adds to the thermal issues. Are some of you heavy on the breaks as well???? Just trying to throw a few ideas out there.
__________________
REMEMBER THE GOOD OLE DAYS..........THEY'RE NEVER COMING BACK SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THE MESS IN FRONT OF US!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #1527
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Yea, if you can get away with it, use the sintered rotor in your motors. That seems to be the cure for the thermal problem. If you've got guys running the 3.5, then they're running the sintered rotor, so I assume your rules allow for it, or don't care. If that's the case, buy it separately and put it in your 4.5's and 5.5's. Most people drop 30 degrees right away.

Also, brushless motors stop getting faster and start getting hotter when you overgear them. They may not slow down, though, so it won't be apparent that they're overgeared. If you go up a tooth and it's not any faster, go back down a tooth for your next race. The motors often have enough torque to overcome bad gearing, but it will cause them to heat up and use more battery.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #1528
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

Hey Syndrome, what's the part number for just the endbell upgrade?
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #1529
Tech Master
 
alana07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: There
Posts: 1,814
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Hey Syndrome, what's the part number for just the endbell upgrade?
the part # is 5415, mine's blue btw.....
__________________
没有最好,只有更好!!!
alana07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #1530
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

I'm looking for the endbell upgrade for the ss4300, not the new heatsinks...thanks
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak GTB 4-cell Brusless Speed Controller Greg Amendola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 04-16-2008 12:59 PM
WTB: ASSOCIATED B44 W/ BRUSLESS SYSTEM levi m R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 02-15-2008 05:27 PM
brusless esc , maybe system jslider R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 11-18-2007 05:30 PM
Novak XBR Brusless/Brushed ESC Delyt R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 11-15-2007 09:44 AM
Novak 4.5 Brusless System Speedo/4.5 Motor w/Sintered installed mike ivy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-25-2006 06:57 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net