R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #1486
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the feedback. I think my perception of it being slower might just be that I need to give it more gear to get similar/same performance to the other rotor. I realize the lowly 4300 doesn't get much attention compared to all the hot mods, but we've built a class around it, and so far, it's been a great time.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #1487
Tech Apprentice
 
Lokanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdc90
I imagine a sintered rotor would sort that out or better yet, a 3.5.
I really hope it will be legal soon!
Lokanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #1488
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokanas
Yeah, i was seriously scared when first tried it. I tried to be easy with the throttle finger - with slightly used 3800's i was finishing with ~150-50mah left in the batts.

First i felt fastest on the track, but two guys became fed up with their 8T's maintenance during quals and switched to Spheres. After that i went up from 8.2 to 8.0-7.9... I tried to go a tooth/two lower after first thermal but i was too slow..
And again... i was VERY soft on a throttle just to make runtime.

Here's a pic of the track...

Gosh!!! I'm highly undergeared...! My local 1/8 track has something of the same lenght or longer straight than that...! Something must be done...!
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:45 AM   #1489
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

250+ degrees killed the SS4300. The winds in the stator were melted, and the rotor was yellowed. Andrew, you may need to replace yours.

There seems to be a very noticeable correlation between the strength of the original rotor's magnet, and how much heat it produces during a race. The magnet seems to fade quite a bit over time, even without a bunch of thermaling.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 AM   #1490
Tech Fanatic
 
Drewdc90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sunshine Coast Australia
Posts: 828
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokanas
I really hope it will be legal soon!
It is for us in Australia.
__________________
-Xray--Nosram--Orion--Trak Power--Duratrax--Spektrum--Futaba-

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:43 AM   #1491
Tech Apprentice
 
Lokanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C
Gosh!!! I'm highly undergeared...! My local 1/8 track has something of the same lenght or longer straight than that...! Something must be done...!
Be careful Especially with that throttle finger I believe you're experienced enough to decide if it's really worth it - maybe infield is slower?

BTW the straight in a picture flows into another so there is almost no need in releasing the throttle in a turn 1 (sure if you got a GOOD line with 4.5 at max revs with 8:1 ratio ) Check out the attachments
Attached Thumbnails
New Novak Brusless System-img_014_1.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-img_014_2.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-img_014_3.jpg  
Lokanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:49 AM   #1492
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokanas
Be careful Especially with that throttle finger I believe you're experienced enough to decide if it's really worth it - maybe infield is slower?

BTW the straight in a picture flows into another so there is almost no need in releasing the throttle in a turn 1 (sure if you got a GOOD line with 4.5 at max revs with 8:1 ratio ) Check out the attachments

I'll be careful...At least I got to bring it down below 10.00
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #1493
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
250+ degrees killed the SS4300. The winds in the stator were melted, and the rotor was yellowed. Andrew, you may need to replace yours.

There seems to be a very noticeable correlation between the strength of the original rotor's magnet, and how much heat it produces during a race. The magnet seems to fade quite a bit over time, even without a bunch of thermaling.
I am SURE I need to replace it. I guees I will just have to see what Novak says about repair. Thanks for the info guys.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #1494
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 36
Default

Hey

Just need some help with gearing for the 3.5R.
Im running on a track very similar to the one Lokanans posted Pics on in post #1491. Does anyone have any idea what gearing to run with the 3.5R?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.
__________________
Hotbodies Cyclone
Gm Racing
MuchMore
Andy__+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #1495
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 444
Default

Gearing advice on a small carpet track with the 4.5 motor? Rubber tires.
__________________
Xray - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #1496
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I got a look at the new heatsink from Novak last night. It replaces the ugly purple "ring" on the motors with a new one that's got a heatsink built into it. So, it's more like a part of the motor than something that just clips on to the outside. It also comes with thermal paste to make sure you get the most heat transfer possible. I'm gonna get a black one, purple isn't my thing.

Has anybody tried polishing the can of their brushless motors? I saw that this guy did it, and thought I might give it a try. The motor would look pretty bling polished with the black heatsink. I bet it's worth 3,000 RPM at least!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #1497
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,198
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I got a look at the new heatsink from Novak last night. It replaces the ugly purple "ring" on the motors with a new one that's got a heatsink built into it. So, it's more like a part of the motor than something that just clips on to the outside. It also comes with thermal paste to make sure you get the most heat transfer possible. I'm gonna get a black one, purple isn't my thing.

Has anybody tried polishing the can of their brushless motors? I saw that this guy did it, and thought I might give it a try. The motor would look pretty bling polished with the black heatsink. I bet it's worth 3,000 RPM at least!
mine is on its way I ll have it by tomorow.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #1498
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Where can I find out more about this heatsink and maybe purchase one, I don't see anything on Novak's site about it. Unless I missed it.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #1499
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Tower has 'em in blue, black and purple, but no pictures, and only purple in stock. Make sure you don't get the one for the HV motors.

Velociti Motor Sleeve
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #1500
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Tower has 'em in blue, black and purple, but no pictures, and only purple in stock. Make sure you don't get the one for the HV motors.

Velociti Motor Sleeve
Thanks syndr0me.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak GTB 4-cell Brusless Speed Controller Greg Amendola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 04-16-2008 12:59 PM
WTB: ASSOCIATED B44 W/ BRUSLESS SYSTEM levi m R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 02-15-2008 05:27 PM
brusless esc , maybe system jslider R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 11-18-2007 05:30 PM
Novak XBR Brusless/Brushed ESC Delyt R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 11-15-2007 09:44 AM
Novak 4.5 Brusless System Speedo/4.5 Motor w/Sintered installed mike ivy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-25-2006 06:57 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:22 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net