R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2005, 12:28 AM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

GUO,

I recommend dead shorting for stock and 19 touring for sure.
I use the same dead shorted packs in mod offroad and they still have plenty left 180-200 seconds at 30 amps left even being deadshorted.

However, for mod touring or mod 12th scale I would recommend discharging the cell to .90/cell. i.e. 5.4 volts for a 6 cell pack and storing them. Then traying them for 10-15 min. and then put them on charge on race day.
If you want to store your packs for weeks at a time then putting a 300 or 400 second charge back into them seems to help keep from losing much run time while its not being run for longer periods of time. When you are ready to use them again tray them and let them stay in the tray until they cool and then charge them like normal.

If you look back I believe danny also addressed the charge/discharge methods a few pages back as well.

Michael
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:48 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest2000
GUO,

I recommend dead shorting for stock and 19 touring for sure.
I use the same dead shorted packs in mod offroad and they still have plenty left 180-200 seconds at 30 amps left even being deadshorted.

However, for mod touring or mod 12th scale I would recommend discharging the cell to .90/cell. i.e. 5.4 volts for a 6 cell pack and storing them. Then traying them for 10-15 min. and then put them on charge on race day.
If you want to store your packs for weeks at a time then putting a 300 or 400 second charge back into them seems to help keep from losing much run time while its not being run for longer periods of time. When you are ready to use them again tray them and let them stay in the tray until they cool and then charge them like normal.

If you look back I believe danny also addressed the charge/discharge methods a few pages back as well.

Michael
may i know for straight tray them 10-15 min on zero equalizer let them until zero volt each cell or let it discharge until 0.9volt per cell them put them into zero equalizer just for 15 min? thanks
Old 07-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #108
Tech Apprentice

Everybody, Just got the comment from IB distributor here.

1. Bring down to 0V of each cell may see increase in performance, however, "Keeping" the IB cell in 0V may also cause unrecoverable damage to the cell. So you should avoid 0V the cells for too long, say no more than 1 hour. IB offically not suggest 0V the cells.

2. You MUST put charge inside the cells for storage, say 1000 sec 6A charge. I have tried to keep cells without charge for 1 month, average voltage has no drop but runtime drop by 50-60 sec
LazyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #109
Tech Elite

Guys--What method,device, or both are you guys using to dead short the batts?

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #110
Tech Master

I use the integy 30 tray let it go down to 0 and cool for a few minutes and then dead short the pack with a piece of solder across the pos. and neg. bar.

Lazybug... IB's when they first came out it's true they did not like deadshorting. The latest batches are like the 3rd or 4th revision.

These do like deadshorting (IB 3800). I've been racing with cells deadshorted for the last month or so and they keep getting stronger. I even use them twice a day sometimes with no ill effects. The packs just seem to get faster.

My team drivers are also using this method and they are seeing the same results (IB 3800). We finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in mod truck offroad, and 1st and 2nd in mod buggy with them last night. We also had 2 stock truck guys in the top 3 I believe. They won stock touring at a fairly big race in AL last weekend as well.

Michael Skeen
Thunder RC
Old 07-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #111
Tech Master

Quote:
I use the integy 30 tray let it go down to 0 and cool for a few minutes and then dead short the pack with a piece of solder across the pos. and neg. bar.

Lazybug... IB's when they first came out it's true they did not like deadshorting. The latest batches are like the 3rd or 4th revision.

These do like deadshorting (IB 3800). I've been racing with cells deadshorted for the last month or so and they keep getting stronger. I even use them twice a day sometimes with no ill effects. The packs just seem to get faster.

My team drivers are also using this method and they are seeing the same results (IB 3800). We finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in mod truck offroad, and 1st and 2nd in mod buggy with them last night. We also had 2 stock truck guys in the top 3 I believe. They won stock touring at a fairly big race in AL last weekend as well.

Michael Skeen
Thunder RC
hey michael, do you have any good charging method for that cell?
Old 07-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #112
Tech Master

I use a standard linear charge at 6 amps with a .03 cut off on most chargers.
I like the batteries to cut off 120-130 F or so.
I have some people that use step charging with much more chargers. Let me know and if you need that info I'll get it to you.

Michael
Old 07-03-2005, 07:41 PM   #113
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
I use a standard linear charge at 6 amps with a .03 cut off on most chargers.
I like the batteries to cut off 120-130 F or so.
I have some people that use step charging with much more chargers. Let me know and if you need that info I'll get it to you.

Michael

I am experimenting with the step charging. I just dont see any benefits in stock, but I think in modified or especially 19t it might have a signifcant advantage. By significant I mean the regular guy like us could go faster

For sure the packs come off about 10F degrees cooler.

Also-on my GFX -I might linear charge at 0.02. if the cells deadshorted-youve got to set the long lockout or it Will false peak.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:15 PM   #114
Tech Fanatic

Ray-

Who's 3800 packs are you running?

Also, what are all the companies currenly offering 3800?

I see Pro Match, Powerpush, and EA Motorsports shortly and of course SMC. Just wondering who else is.

Thanks,

Mike T
Old 07-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Big dog - You could always look overseas for matchers. I am matching Intellect cells in Australia and have since they first hit the market. I have been matching all brands for nearly 15 years.

You guys should be looking at the exchange rate of the American dollar. I could sell you top of the range IB3800 cells for $US44 plus postage. This easily compares with the prices that you pay at home ($US65 ?)

Now all I need is an American distributor for the cells
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:10 PM   #116
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon
Big dog - You could always look overseas for matchers. I am matching Intellect cells in Australia and have since they first hit the market. I have been matching all brands for nearly 15 years.

You guys should be looking at the exchange rate of the American dollar. I could sell you top of the range IB3800 cells for $US44 plus postage. This easily compares with the prices that you pay at home ($US65 ?)

Now all I need is an American distributor for the cells
is that 44USD shipped?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #117
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon
I could sell you top of the range IB3800 cells for $US44 plus postage.
But when you say "top of the range," what kind of numbers are we looking at? High 1.18s, possibly?
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #118
Tech Master

Hi ppl...

I was considering the IB3800 cells.But my LHS said that the cells has some problem.It overheats easily during runs and loose their capacity and punch dramatically. I don't know whether its my climate here.Living near the equator must be really hot and maybe effects the cells performance??

Anyone any idea??

Thanks.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #119
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C
Hi ppl...

I was considering the IB3800 cells.But my LHS said that the cells has some problem.It overheats easily during runs and loose their capacity and punch dramatically. I don't know whether its my climate here.Living near the equator must be really hot and maybe effects the cells performance??

Anyone any idea??

Thanks.
Hi Ben,

They are fine after someone has run the cycles and matched them for u.If not i recomend that u wait for the newer batch. The main issue is leakage and that happens only on the first few cycles. After the first few cycles they will be fine.

Give me a buzz if u need more info. Mor Mor here.

Cheers
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:55 PM   #120
Tech Master

Hey... Mor Mor...Thanks for the info...

Too bad no one matches them here.Kum Yew used to sale them unmatched but zapped cells,which according to Winnie its not holding up too well...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote