Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

mmmmmm Krispy Kreme (drool)
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:13 AM   #977
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray=speed
is there a problem with charging the pack the night before a race meeting and then re-peeking at the track just before the race
I've done this before when I knew that I would get to the track late. The bats are absolute junk on the track. No punch whatsoever. If you can charge them the morning of the race instead, you have a better chance of maintaining some performance.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #978
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh69162
I know this is a very relative question, but what does 135 degrees feel like to touch? Should it feel hot, but you can still touch it, or slightly warm? Or too hot to touch?
-Josh
I've been able to quickly handle packs at 170F after cycling them with a 35A DX. Maybe 2 secs at the most for that high a temp.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:22 AM   #979
Tech Elite

I've been using a tip lately that works very well. With new 3800 packs that have been trayed, you can charge them the night before or the morning of the race up to 3500mAh. Then finish the charge on race day halfway through the second to last race before your next run.

I actually do a 3500 cutoff charge on my 1st qualifiers pack one hour before qualifying starts, since I'm never sure what the order will be. Then after each qualifier, I start the next packs 3500 cutoff charge and finish the peak charge as stated above.

This way the batts are still quite warm when I start the second peak charge and still have a good 7 to 8 minutes to warm up nicely, without overcharging. My batts come off just as hot as if it were a straight charge.

BTW, I still haven't figured out the X3's peak voltage yet. Anyone have some good settings for charging 3800's with it?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #980
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
I've been using a tip lately that works very well. With new 3800 packs that have been trayed, you can charge them the night before or the morning of the race up to 3500mAh. Then finish the charge on race day halfway through the second to last race before your next run.

I actually do a 3500 cutoff charge on my 1st qualifiers pack one hour before qualifying starts, since I'm never sure what the order will be. Then after each qualifier, I start the next packs 3500 cutoff charge and finish the peak charge as stated above.

This way the batts are still quite warm when I start the second peak charge and still have a good 7 to 8 minutes to warm up nicely, without overcharging. My batts come off just as hot as if it were a straight charge.

BTW, I still haven't figured out the X3's peak voltage yet. Anyone have some good settings for charging 3800's with it?

You have got to be kidding, right? There is no way charging packs the night before you race has any benefit.

Why do the "pro/Factory" racers try to time thier charge perfect to when they come off the charger for the next race?

I thought I had read it all when you were telling ppl the "BEST Set-up" for carpet/foam was with a One-way, but this post takes the cake......
Old 12-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #981
J_P
Tech Addict

Ding! BATT's are done
Ding! BATT's are done
Ding! BATT's are done
Ding! BATT's are done
Do you want an apple pie with that?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #982
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=teamgp

BTW, I still haven't figured out the X3's peak voltage yet. Anyone have some good settings for charging 3800's with it?[/QUOTE]

I would start at a 6 amp charge with a .02 peak detect,check the temp as soon as the pack peaks should be around 130 degrees,if not adjust your peak detect accordingly.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #983
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme
You have got to be kidding, right? There is no way charging packs the night before you race has any benefit.

Why do the "pro/Factory" racers try to time thier charge perfect to when they come off the charger for the next race?

I thought I had read it all when you were telling ppl the "BEST Set-up" for carpet/foam was with a One-way, but this post takes the cake......
I got the tip from a pro driver and it works for me. Although I charge them early in practice on the day of, as stated above.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #984
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
To get .03 like Danny suggest would be 30mV on the MM Cell Master. The cell master used Millivolts. I would start with 20 on the Cell master and check the temp. Then adjust till it peaks at 130 degrees F.

EA

hi. are you sure on that? on the nexus racing website they suggest a 4mv to 6mv cut off using the MM-CTX-C

http://nexusracing.net/newsdesk_info...be5562a26d50dc

90+ degrees F, no heatsinkódelta peak 04, temp 47 (~117 deg F)
90+ degrees F, with heatsinkódelta peak 05, temp 47
80-90 degrees F, no heatsinkódelta peak 05, temp 47
80-90 degrees F, with heatsinkódelta peak 06, temp 47
below 80 degrees F, no heatsinkódelta peak 06, temp 47

p.s i set delta peak to 5mv and it gets to around 45degC (ambient 25C), changing from 3mv to 5mv only charges longer by an extra few seconds.. (5 seconds max)
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:41 AM   #985
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I could see Guy's method being used if your only option was to have pre-charged or semi-pre-charged packs in order tomake your first race.

Not everyone will have time to get to the track early enough to get packs fully charged from flat and be able to get some practice time in.

with 3500mAh input from your charger, you're still looking at a pack that is less than 80% charged (typical IB3800's seem to be taking between 4400 and 4500mAh of charge...this number isn't to be confused with the amount available for discharge under load)...This would give the cells more time to come to temperature while charging the remaining 20+%....

Again though, your BEST AND FIRST option should be charging using your preferred matcher's recommended method....Guy's method may hold some merit when you're in a time crunch and your other option is missing practice or first qualifier..

Another method I have seen to overcome that time crunch is to use the accessory plug of your vehicle to charge your packs while on the way to the track....this still helps you from a time standpoint...and allows you to use your matcher's preferred method.
ChrisP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:44 AM   #986
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP
Again though, your BEST AND FIRST option should be charging using your preferred matcher's recommended method....Guy's method may hold some merit when you're in a time crunch and your other option is missing practice or first qualifier.
My point exactly. I'll try to be more clear in the future.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:10 AM   #987
Tech Elite

Just curious if anyone else was trying the new team wave discharger on their 3800s and if you had seen any difference with the discharge setting???

Sorry to jump off topic, only few peolpe seem to read the team wave forum!!
http://www.kinetixrc.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=105
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:31 AM   #988
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99

Has anyone tried the Trinity DynaPulse with IB3600 or IB3800

And is it worth it?

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #989
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by XingXing
hi. are you sure on that? on the nexus racing website they suggest a 4mv to 6mv cut off using the MM-CTX-C

http://nexusracing.net/newsdesk_info...be5562a26d50dc

90+ degrees F, no heatsinkódelta peak 04, temp 47 (~117 deg F)
90+ degrees F, with heatsinkódelta peak 05, temp 47
80-90 degrees F, no heatsinkódelta peak 05, temp 47
80-90 degrees F, with heatsinkódelta peak 06, temp 47
below 80 degrees F, no heatsinkódelta peak 06, temp 47

p.s i set delta peak to 5mv and it gets to around 45degC (ambient 25C), changing from 3mv to 5mv only charges longer by an extra few seconds.. (5 seconds max)
Yes I have had one of the chargers. Using there settings it will not get the battery warm enough or peak. I used 25-30 on the Cell master depending on how hot it was at the track.

MMR says the Cell master uses "super linear" current. But from all my experience with current .03 is still .03....regaurdless of whose charger it is. With the MM Cell master 03 is actually .003 or 3mV. So 30 would be .03 as Danny reconmends.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #990
Tech Champion

What do you guys get when cycling IB3800 at 5 amp charge, 25 amp discharge ?

Average Discharge Voltage ?
How many second down to 5.40V ?

Thanks.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote