R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #631
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hey everyone,

i just bought 1 IB3600 and 2 IB3800 packs, and i've been reading about the mv cut offs etc that you guys all use to charge your packs. the only problem is that im not sure my chargers can go as low as 0.3 or 0.4mv per cell. i've got a novak millenium (not pro), yokomo BMS, supernova 3000, and tekin BC-112A.

can anyone give me some advice as to what to charge at???... i race stock if tha makes a difference

thanx in advance

robbie

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #632
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I usually charge my 4 cell packs at 5.5A, sometimes 6A and at 20mv peak detect. A good way to gauge what your mv setting should be for IB's is to use 5mv per cell, so 20mv for 4 cell (.02) or 30mv for 6 cell (.03).
Keep a very close watch on the temperature, as the batt should peak at about 130 F. I've noticed that some of my packs will over charge even when set at the correct mv setting and get too hot. Keep a temp probe or temp gun nearby to keep an eye on them as they peak.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 PM   #633
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys would it be safe to run a pack twice in a night?

I have been told that the cells could vent on me, durring the second charge.
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:56 AM   #634
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_kipper
Hey guys would it be safe to run a pack twice in a night?

I have been told that the cells could vent on me, durring the second charge.
I have two main packs that I alternate with on race day weekly. I've had them for three months now. One is used for the 1st and 3rd qualifier and the other for the 2nd qualifier and the main. In cycling them on my Futaba CDR5000 to mimick the two runs on race day, the cells always have a little more runtime and voltage in the second run.

On my LRP, I use a 20mv cutoff and the cells will reach approx 118-120F when the peak beep goes off and will climb another 10F and then come back down. On the CDR, I have to use a 6mv/cell cutoff to keep it from false peaking, but I also have the temp cutoff set to 122F just in case. They normally also peak around 118-120F with the Futaba's higher peak cutoff.

The cells always start to vent a little around 115F about a minute before peaking. However, this has not been a problem and their performance still seems consistent with when I first received them. I'm actually cycling them today on the CDR to see how their performance is and I'll post the results later.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 AM   #635
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks alot GP, i just got 4 new packs, and i got 1 late. I put 1 cycle threw 3 of them. To make them all on the same cycle, i was goin to run 1 pack twice in a night.

Thank again GP
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:58 AM   #636
Tech Master

can anyone tell me wether there is a problem with the ib3600 cell.someone told me the ones with the white end covers,near were the positive button is that they are a faulty batch and the new batch have a black cover ring like all gp batteries,anyone confirm this please
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #637
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Pit Bull X3
who has the triple stage set for stock and 19 turn?
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #638
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf racer
can anyone tell me wether there is a problem with the ib3600 cell.someone told me the ones with the white end covers,near were the positive button is that they are a faulty batch and the new batch have a black cover ring like all gp batteries,anyone confirm this please

I think that is correct. Danny would be able to comment on that one.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:35 PM   #639
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I think that is correct. Danny would be able to comment on that one.
ok,since ive bought 5 packs of these for 50 each and since having them i have dumped in every race even with a 12 turn.
i spoke to a factory driver who uses these cells and they said the ones with the white ring are a dodgy batch and been replaced.he said he had them and always dumped within the 3-4 min mark,which is what iam doing.
do you think this matching company should replace cells with faults that that they no about
Futaba
Speedtechrc
Old 10-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #640
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

As far as replacement of the cells. If IB was giving refunds to the matchers. I would say the matcher should help you out. But that is iffy. I have some of the white ring 3600's. They run strong up front then tapper off. I have dumped before with them. They were unmathced ones that my son now uses. For him they are great.

But at the time they were matched the supplier may not have known there was a problem with the cells. If I was a cell matcher I would help you out to stand behind what I sold. But that is me..

Good luck.

SMC IB3800 and Team Brood run strong for me. Eddieo has some new killer packs out now. I am just waiting on them to show up.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #641
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
As far as replacement of the cells. If IB was giving refunds to the matchers. I would say the matcher should help you out. But that is iffy. I have some of the white ring 3600's. They run strong up front then tapper off. I have dumped before with them. They were unmathced ones that my son now uses. For him they are great.

But at the time they were matched the supplier may not have known there was a problem with the cells. If I was a cell matcher I would help you out to stand behind what I sold. But that is me..

Good luck.

SMC IB3800 and Team Brood run strong for me. Eddieo has some new killer packs out now. I am just waiting on them to show up.
thank you for your help,these batteres will never alow a 12 turn to run for 5 mins that alone an 8 turn.
these batteries were dumping in the 3-4min with an 8 and geared correctly.
these batteries are matched by LRP.they know about the prob and i have emailed them,so il see what they say,ive got a pack of IB3800 and they are awsome.
but they arent legal yet.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
Old 10-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #642
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Pit Bull X3
who has the triple stage set for stock and 19 turn?
Look at the much more cell master thread they have set ups there.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:03 PM   #643
Tech Adept

Just an update to my earlier concern that the 38's have slowed down. I ran the car today in practice with a fresh monster stock and it seems that the 38's have lost some performance. The car is not as fast as it was when the 38's only had a run or two on them.

Now, the only thing that is different is the cell temperature just before the run. I originally had the delta v set at .32 and was getting a 150-160 degree peak temp. Ambient air was in the 80 degree range. I lowered the delta v to .2 and started getting lower peak temps of 120-130 with ambient air at 65-75 degrees. That is what I had today for battery temps before my run on the IB. In addition, I used a practice pack of GP3300's that has what I suspect is a bad cell in it. It peaked at a quite hot 160 degrees on one cell and 120-140 on the others. Needless to say it was pretty hot. I ran it and had the fastest run of the day. It was also the last run of the day.

So what is going on here? I am going to get the IB pack measurably hotter next charge, maybe back to the 150 range and run it. My theory is at higher temps the cell chemistry allows a better current flow and voltage.
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #644
Tech Master

most of the battery gurus suggest a peak temp for the IB's under 130 deg

too many factors trying to figure out if it's car or batteries. that pack i would have to cycle on a charger to see if they have fallen off?
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #645
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hey everyone,

as i mentioned earlier, ive just bought some IB3600 and IB3800 cells but i'm limited to what cut off i can use on my chargers. Heres what i have to work with:

novak millenium (not pro)- lowest Mv setting is 8mv per cell 48mv for the pack

yokomo BMS- can range from 10mv-90mv in 10mv increments, also has temp probe (temp charge), voltage cut off i think and mah limit

supernova 3000- only has normal and sensitive settings, i use sensitive on gp3300's but i've no idea what it actually is

Tekin bc112a- has P and P2 profiles (P2 is for re-peak apparently)... but i have no idea what the settings are

if anyone has charged intellect cells on these chargers please let me know or if anyone can just give me some advice that would be great as i REALLY dont want to ruin these cells.

im trying to sell the supernova and the yokomo BMS to buy a new charger, something along the lines of CDR5000 or TURBO35 or CDCV6 or something that will give me more control over the cells and give me better information about them

thanx

robbie

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote