R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #571
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So I'm a bit confused regarding peak temp.... should we let it get to 138F? Or lower? Typical NW winter, temp at the track is about 70 with heat going.

I currently have my MR CTX linear charging temp peak at 50C (122F). Granted none of my 38's have temp peaked yet... but just want to be sure.

Dom
Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #572
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glad to hear that the 3800's are making you go faster. Believe it or not most SMC team guys have 1.17-1.18s. The newer batches of 3800s have seen an improvement in voltage. Were now shipping out 1.19+. Guess some of our team guys will want new packs.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #573
Company Representative

With a temp gun using .02 peak detect for the entire pack your IB3800 packs should peak in the 135-145 range.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #574
RLS
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
My temp gun is in high demand these days.....
Agreed, a temp gun is almost mandatory these days for an electric racer.

The reason we are looking at the PV is we are thinking it's a sure sign of increased Internal Resistance. In Dave's case, using pure silver bars and good silver solder and I'm sure good technique, his 3 run pack's IR's seem WAY too high. I'm trying to help him out and we are just gathering input before excersizing any options on his new cells.

Thanks again
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #575
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS

The reason we are looking at the PV is we are thinking it's a sure sign of increased Internal Resistance. In Dave's case, using pure silver bars and good silver solder and I'm sure good technique, his 3 run pack's IR's seem WAY too high. I'm trying to help him out and we are just gathering input before excersizing any options on his new cells.

Thanks again
Yeah-I thought of that after I typed a response!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #576
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
With a temp gun using .02 peak detect for the entire pack your IB3800 packs should peak in the 135-145 range.
Charging an equalized and cool pack @6.2A with .02 peak detect, when my LRP goes off the cells are all temping at 117F to 121F. Then they will climb to approximately 135F before going back down.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #577
Company Representative

What is the Actual IR of the packs ? That is the only thing that counts. As i said PV is an indication but it all depends on temperature , airflow and the charger. 6.20 would mean 1.55 PV per cell which is possible for cool cells.

Do the packs feel good on the track ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS

Thanks again
Old 10-21-2005, 02:19 AM   #578
Tech Apprentice

Danny... trouble maker.... lol

We won 4 events in Vegas, as well TQ-ed them all 4. The 4 ones where power was of importance. That are the correct facts.

Am really surprised and happy to read that you mention that our driver have great skils... that means the others do not have? It is not the batteries but them? They will be happy to read that.

And of course, i do not send our drivers to a race with the worst batteries we can find and match. And since you do not sell GP3700 as you mentioned you have no idea how good is the GP3700 quality. But if at one race it is not going well than at once teams suddenly have to change to another manufacturer? Sounds really loyal... And, was it really better?

Anyway, its a useless discussion. You are convinced IB is the best, and its good you stand for your products. I am convinced (and also all of our 8 skilled top team drivers who all had the chance to test IB on the TRACK) that GP is the best at the moment. So be it and time will tell.

Its my job to make our racers win to show the world that our products where we have trust in work great. And it looks like we are not doing a bad job lately.
Oscar Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:51 AM   #579
Company Representative

Guess we both have to agree to disagree.

Didn't you TQ and win 3 classes. Maybe I missed one but I was under the impression that you won and TQ'ed foam mod , rubber mod and 19t foam.

Guess Associated and Trinity didn't get a chance to get good GP cells as they ran IB's. Maybe GP should take better care of there other customers and stop focusing only on Orion.

I'm glad to see that only Orion seems to get good GP cells and based on comments made by Markus it seems like the IB cells we get are good compared to what is available in Europe.

Did Orion participate in the 12th scale race in Japan where the entire top 10 ran IB cells ?

Will any top Orion drivers attend Cleveland ? We would like to have another chance to compete against your GP cells. Maybe we could make this a best 2 out of 3. You guys got the win in Vegas. Then Cleveland and Snowbirds could be the next 2 races. We would love to compete in some European races but IB3800 aren't legal yet under EFRA rules.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:24 AM   #580
Tech Apprentice

19 turn rubber too... won and TQ by your Canadian fellow countryman Martin Crisp! He had an awesome race, and became even 4th in mod rubber. He had a great weekend!

IB38 where used and tried at German Natts last month by some companies and they all (except LRP) used GP37 at the end... see Marcus his comments... so we have 2 out of 3 already! LOL

We are not sending anyone to Cleveland, we have a Team Orion Speedweekend race in Europe this year. Unfortunatly the race dates clashed I really hate it as I wanted to drive 1/12th. No, do not need batteries

GP surely does not concentrate only on us. But I understand some other's decision to see if the other side is better. But we are not like that.

Japan... congratulations. We had no drivers send there. And I admit, over 8 minutes if runtime becomes and issue than the IB are pretty good. Its like the old days Panasonic 3000 battery. And than after some time all found out the RC2400 was still best if you knew how to work with it. I think that is currently the problem... Wish I would have been there with Hara...
Oscar Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:38 AM   #581
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyboy
my IB3800 started to act weird.i cant charge the pack because the pack is showing 14+ volts before it charges.why is this?did one of my cells reverse?thanx
bump
shortyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:44 AM   #582
Company Representative

Sorry my mistake forgot about rubber 19T.

If you don't believe in the performance of the IB3800 why do you sell them and why do you say your not like others ?

We don't believe that GP3700s are as good as IB3800s and that is why we don't sell any 3700s.

Guess the next battery battle will be at the Snowbirds until then have fun at the races.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:46 AM   #583
Company Representative

I'm not really sure why your pack would be at 14 volts prior to charging this seems very strange and I have never really heard of this.

You can always send it back and we will gladly look at it to see what could be the problem.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:41 AM   #584
Tech Adept

alright thanx!pm sent
shortyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:49 AM   #585
Tech Regular

since ive been back to r/c i have tested 100 s thats right 100s of packs from diffrent manufactures and without hesitation the ib is a better cell ! voltage does not lie ! how anybody can think a production gp can compeate to a production ib is inconceivable. its this simple blue cell good green cell bad!
pony klr is offline   Reply With Quote