R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #256
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

MR Jolly deadshorting is not something that needs to be done. The racers who are looking for that little extra edge will do it to gain that extra .01 -.02 volts. In the end if racers don't have chargers that can charge deadshorted packs then they should not deadshort.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #257
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
MR Jolly deadshorting is not something that needs to be done. The racers who are looking for that little extra edge will do it to gain that extra .01 -.02 volts. In the end if racers don't have chargers that can charge deadshorted packs then they should not deadshort.
That`s good
i like exploring all avenues when i sell things on & since the IB cells a quite new & there have been loads of conflicting reports on how good IB cells are or are not
i thought i will do some home work & testing my self

If i sell these i need the answers for the buyer!! so here i am

They have not been here that long in the UK , USA have had them & using them alot longer
so you guy`s have the answers
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #258
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Whats the pros of having a higher IR and higher overall voltage straight off the charger?

Does having a higher IR increase runtime or punch?

Sean

Last edited by Team Duratrax; 08-28-2005 at 05:18 AM.
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:39 AM   #259
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually you want your peak voltage to be lower not higher. On a TM4 an IB cell peaks at 1.50v so you would expect to peak around 9v but it all depend on the charger some read higher and some lower plus you need to factor in the IR of the bars and solder job. Extra resistance will most likely increase the peak voltage by a bit.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:02 AM   #260
Tech Regular

Default Is this right

Can someone tell me if this is a good procedure to follow for ib 3600s

After race discharge at 30amp to 5.4v
Equalize on smart tray .9v per cell
dont use again for atleas 2hrs
DIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #261
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMO
Can someone tell me if this is a good procedure to follow for ib 3600s

After race, immediately discharge at 30amp to 5.4v
Equalize on smart tray to .9v per cell
dont use again for at least 2hrs
Dimo,

After getting the cells down to 5.4V with a Spintec (35A) or Trinty (30A) pulse-type discharger, I have two options:

1) If using again the same day, I let cells rest for 2 hours...During this time they recover slightly (voltage-wise).
2) If not using them the same day, to put them away and start with Step 3 the next time I use them.
3) Equalize to .9V on my Smart Tray (takes short time)
4) Immediately recharge after equalizing because I believe that equalizing starts the chemical reaction that helps the cells to accept more mahr.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #262
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

wvince - WAYNE, is that you??? The famous Wayne Vince visiting us from the Great White North?

Good to see you on here, homie. Stick around!
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #263
Tech Adept

Just wonder? Shall I get a new charger, ie., Orion Advantage or get more new matched packs. Because buying a new charger means I will be buying 5-6 packs less due to tight budget.
I currently using a LRP Pusar Comp. It is fine or sensible to get a new charger? Will Pulsar Comp do the job to charge the Intellect 3800?

Thanks.
MARKANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #264
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKANO
Just wonder? Shall I get a new charger, ie., Orion Advantage or get more new matched packs. Because buying a new charger means I will be buying 5-6 packs less due to tight budget.
I currently using a LRP Pusar Comp. It is fine or sensible to get a new charger? Will Pulsar Comp do the job to charge the Intellect 3800?

Thanks.
PUlsar comp will do a fine job. New batteries will have a far greater impact on laptimes than a Charger ever could. It might get your packs a IB's a bit warm-sp keep an eye on them. ONce they hit 120 or 130 deg-shut it off and race it.

ON the deadshorting-everyone has to understand it comes at some risk to those who dont take precautions and deadshort batteries in the correct way-which is the ONLY WAY. Does it increase the performance of a pack? 100% you bet it does. But is it worth it-in some ways no. Forget running, discharging and putting your pack away.

Now you have to unsolder the deadshort bar-let rest for 20 to 30 minutes, set long lockout on charger and/or change charge profile drastically, charge, watch for false peaks, race, discharge, tray for 45 min. to 2 hours depending on tray, resolder the deadshort bar. Is it worth it???? YOu be the judge!! Just be sure you know what your getting into. I can back this up with info off my T35, deadshorting loses 20 to 30 sec of runtime and adds about 0.012 voltage or more. Also-a deadshorted battery is still an a-main capable pack long into its life-whereas a non-deadshort batteries voltage and runtime both continue to drop and drop and drop and ir rise.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #265
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ray,

Not to get off subject, but it was good seeing you again at halo. Sorry you couldn't stay for the race. It was a TIGHT stock touring field. Good practice for Vegas and the Classic...

Later

Michael Skeen
Thunder RC
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:55 AM   #266
Tech Adept

"Deadshorting"

Mr RayHuang

I know this question was ask many times. What is the best way to deadshort a battery pack is:

1. While battery is still on the discharge tray? If so, shall the battery remain in the tray while deadshorting?
2. Immediately after the battery remove from tray?
3. After the battery cool down after a race?
MARKANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:29 AM   #267
Tech Master

I'm not ray, but I can help you out...

Deadshort while the pack is on the tray. I usually let the cells cool down in the tray till they are close to room temperature before I will deadshort a pack.

You can remove the pack once it has been deadshorted.

later

Michael Skeen
Thunder RC
Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 AM   #268
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

acutallu, the "BEST" way would probably be the novak DS tray. I know that it prevents cell reversal. And some believe that DS still has the possibility of cell reversal.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #269
Tech Master

I've been deadshorting for years with no problems.

I use the integy 030 tray now with no problems.

The only time I've seen someone reverse a cell is when they tried to charge a pack that was deashorted and hooked the leads up wrong i.e. pos. to neg. etc.

later

Michael
Old 08-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #270
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

this is a quote from the promatch site and I believe jeff to be knowledgeable about cells.

The problem with shorting out packs in series is that after discharging the cells i.e.: lights, resistor trays, or other discharge devices and then placing a short wire across the cells, some power is still left in the cells. How can you prove this to yourself? Take a pack and put it in whatever discharge device you want and remove them after you think they're completely discharged. Let them sit for a few minutes. Check the voltage in the pack. Is it still 0 volts. Absolutely not (unless you have a dead cell!) Why? Because the cells will regenerate after resting. They will do the same thing even with a wire soldered across. This can but won't always cause damage to the cell structure. The result could be anything from barely noticeable to drastic. It depends largely on how much energy is in the cells when the "dead short wire" is placed across the pack. The more energy left in the cells the greater the risk and extent of damage to the cell can occur. What is occurring is a reverse flow of current through the weakest cell. Basically many cells survive this abuse because of their durability but over repeated dead shortings the damage will begin to show on all packs

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote