R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 PM   #136
Tech Apprentice

No matter 0.02v or 0.03v delta peak detect, it will be fine as long as the cells temperature are not too hot. High temperature will sure no good to the cells. I have set the battery temperature to 55C/131F max. (sometimes 60C/140F if the initial termperature is high)

Therefore, Pitbull or Pulsar 2 or CellMaster or even GFX are good charger as long as they have no false peak and no too hot cells after charging.
LazyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #137
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
It depends on a lot-but I dont like to see stocks much higher than 165 and 19t maybe 180 tops-but even thats a lot. I think when they get that hot-your laptimes are going to drop. AT 200 I think the magnets didnt feel as strong so thats not good.

so how about 7 turn or 8 turn will it be possible until 200F? but for other country it may had this kind of problem.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #138
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysuleod
I bought three 4-cell IB3800 packs from a big matcher and unfortunately one pack vented on the first charge. Although these are not SMC batteries, I was following the guidelines posted on smc-racing.com because it was one of the few places I could find published guildelines. (6A linear, 20millivolt peak).

The matcher is replacing my pack, luckily for me, but they strongly suggest a 5A max charge rate and not 6A. I charged two other packs (from the same matcher) of IB3800 at 6A with no problems.

Of course now I am nervous about charging at 6A since that was my first cell failure ever. I have read and heard other matchers recommending 5A max also, but as we all know you ask 10 people how they charge and you'll get 10 different answers. I hate to give up the extra punch that 6A charging can give you for stock racing.

So the questions..
Is this matcher being overly cautious by recommending 5A charging max for these cells?

On a 6 cell pack .03(30mv) is fine with a 6 amp charge rate. On a 4 cell pack .02(20mv) should be used.

IB cells are built differently and use different materials so they require a slightly different way of handling them.

In our matching process we will have some cells that will vent. When these cells are cycled again they will have good numbers. I wouldn't worry to much about your vented cell in your pack. If you would of tried the pack on the track you would of had good results with it.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #139
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Where can I get a hold of SMC IB 3800's?

Our packs can be ordered from your local shop/track. Horizon , Great Planes , MSA and Competition products all carry our packs.

If you want to order online then Stormer Hobbies carries our full line. Lefthander RC and RC4less carries our 4 cell packs.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #140
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Ah ha! You too!
Yep ...can't use them for the regionals though ....but for everything else, I've got 6 of his IB3600's and they rock ..so figure 3800's should rock even more (rockier??)
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #141
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Our packs can be ordered from your local shop/track. Horizon , Great Planes , MSA and Competition products all carry our packs.

If you want to order online then Stormer Hobbies carries our full line. Lefthander RC and RC4less carries our 4 cell packs.
Ah ok ..I'll see if [email protected] can order me some then.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #142
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
On a 6 cell pack .03(30mv) is fine with a 6 amp charge rate. On a 4 cell pack .02(20mv) should be used.
In our matching process we will have some cells that will vent. When these cells are cycled again they will have good numbers. I wouldn't worry to much about your vented cell in your pack. If you would of tried the pack on the track you would of had good results with it.
Thanks Danny for the information. If it's any consolation I have SMC GP3300 batteries for my Losi buggy, just not the 12th scale. Hehe.

I have a couple of rookie questions as a follow up:
1. You can use a vented cell? I was warned not to by other racers. I am admittedly not knowledgable about vented cells since this is the first time it's happened to me.

2. My CE Pitbull X3 false peaks my IB3800s at 20mv. Will setting a 30mv cutoff just peak them at slightly less capacity than 20mv since the cutoff is slightly higher per cell? The Pitbull works fine with the GP3300 cells I have, just not the IB3800s at 20mv delta peak.

Thanks!
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #143
Tech Elite

Quote:

2. My CE Pitbull X3 false peaks my IB3800s at 20mv. Will setting a 30mv cutoff just peak them at slightly less capacity than 20mv since the cutoff is slightly higher per cell? The Pitbull works fine with the GP3300 cells I have, just not the IB3800s at 20mv delta peak.

Thanks!
That was hapenning with my 3600's when I first got them, I set the long lockout to 2800MA and set it on everytime, they don't false peak anymore, but I just set the long lockout on everytime now out of habbit ...the new X3 won't long lockout if the volts get to "out of hand" so there's no risk of blowing the cells up like with the oldder pitbull's long lockout or the T30's
Old 07-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #144
Company Representative

Quote:
Thanks Danny for the information. If it's any consolation I have SMC GP3300 batteries for my Losi buggy, just not the 12th scale. Hehe.

I have a couple of rookie questions as a follow up:
1. You can use a vented cell? I was warned not to by other racers. I am admittedly not knowledgable about vented cells since this is the first time it's happened to me.

Thanks!

Using a higher mv setting will generate a bit more heat and will increase the chance of venting. Use the lockout feature on your pitbull this will solve the problem.

The way I see it a vented cell is a cell that had extra chemicals and they had to come out. Another reason why a cell will vent is because it got overcharged due to the peak detect being set to high or a cell or mismatched cells. In some of our tests the cells that vented were fine when cycled again. IB has been working hard to try to make sure the cells don't vent but it's been a challenge due the the cells high capacity. The reason why we need to use lower peak detects is because the voltage drop takes longer on the IB cells thus creating more heat. The IB cell uses different materials than GP cells so they react differently.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #145
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I agree with Danny. After matching thousands of the Intellect cells, I have also found that the cells that vent don't seem to be damaged at all and perform normally afterwards
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #146
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
That was hapenning with my 3600's when I first got them, I set the long lockout to 2800MA and set it on everytime, they don't false peak anymore, but I just set the long lockout on everytime now out of habbit ...the new X3 won't long lockout if the volts get to "out of hand" so there's no risk of blowing the cells up like with the oldder pitbull's long lockout or the T30's
I didn't know that. Have had the long lockout on my X3 at 1800ma with questionable results. Thanks Harsh.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #147
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IB 3800's, how do you charge them for max runtime for a 12th scale?

i use a Novak Mil-Pro charger. on the NIMH function of the charger there is no millivolt threshold to set.

i currently have GP3300's, on those i charge at 3.5 amps and peak the packs at 4.5 prior to the race.
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #148
Tech Apprentice

We have tried 4.5A charging that get better runtime than 6.0A or 6.5A. We haven't tried any below 4.5A becuase IB3800 is "High Drain" cell which designed for high A charge and discharge. Too low A charging will give no punch from the cells and capacity is even lower than expect.
LazyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:33 AM   #149
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
IB 3800's, how do you charge them for max runtime for a 12th scale?

i use a Novak Mil-Pro charger. on the NIMH function of the charger there is no millivolt threshold to set.

i currently have GP3300's, on those i charge at 3.5 amps and peak the packs at 4.5 prior to the race.
with 3800, i would think you would be looking for more punch then max runtime. I am getting full 8 min with no fade with a 9 x2 in 1/12. I was thinking for 3800 I could go to a 6 or 7 turn and still have plenty of punch after 8 min.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:05 AM   #150
Tech Elite

Default Great Performance

Ran them last nite in Mod. carpet, they had too much run time and a lot punch, I ran each battery once let them cool down then turn it over to my buddy Carl Edward to run them for the second go around, I had two fight to get them back

LRP charger set to 30mv at 6 amps, Noavk smart set at .9

charge#1 42 minutes 33 sec. peak volt 9.39 4478 mah

1.5 hour cool down period luke warm at the most

charge#2 43 minutes 10 sec. peak volt 9.27 4401 mah

The only side to running mod. with the 3800's is that when get hot they stay way for a long time you may need a mini fan.
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote