R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   First Lathe questions? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/73237-first-lathe-questions.html)

Sleighty 05-24-2005 08:58 AM

First Lathe questions?

hi,

i have finally bought my first lathe. I got the hudy tech comm lathe with the V guides and a diamond tip.

Now i have tried to align the two guides but im not sure i have quite got it right.

Im worried i might damage the tip and when they are as expensive as they are, thats no joke!

what would you guys advise i do to check everything is running ok? Plus i just skimmed a comm and the bit dug a sudden groove into the comm could i have damaged the tip?

:confused: :cry:

please help

iamramos 05-24-2005 09:57 AM

the only way to tell if the tip is f'ed is to tack another pass. if it cuts ruf its f'ed. shim the bit just above the center of the com. usually just above the v-groove flats is perfect. you will want to clear the v-groves because if you ever draw the bit back to far and run into them you are guaranteed a broken bit.

TEM 05-24-2005 10:06 AM

Spend a couple dollars and buy yourself a carbide bit from a tool shop or something. Use it to learn to cut so you don't screw up the diamond bit unless you can find someone to setup your lathe and show you how to cut!

Take a magnifying glass and look at the tip of the bit. I think you should be fine. the only time you break the bit is if you dove the bit into the shunt unexpectly.

MartynD 05-25-2005 05:03 AM

Sleighty,

Do yourself a favour and visit the forums at www.rccars.com

Every question you could ever ask about lathes, has likely been answered there.

Mr. Shookie 05-25-2005 07:38 AM

Make sure you have a pair of calipers and check the width on the top and bottom to see if the two V guilds are exactly the same distance apart. This will really help. Also the tip should clear the V guilds with little more than .13mm any more and skimming at too great an angle....any lower and you run the risk of hitting the V guilds with your bit.
Also take a little AE diff grease and greas your threads...both of them...Will really help the smoothness.
One last thing.
MAKE SURE THE SURFACE ON WHICH THE COMM LATHE IS SITTING IS NEAR LEVEL AND IS VERY STRUDDY. THERE SHOULD BE NO SHAKING>>>>NO NOT EVEN A LITTLE. THAT IS WHERE THOSE LITTLE LINES COME FROM...I LEARNED THE HARD WAY>>>>TWICE.

Oh Yea Harbor freight has a great set of digital calipers for like $30.00 they also help for measuring shock length and other things that require exact measurements.
Hope this helps.
Stephen <><

Sleighty 05-25-2005 08:10 AM

thanks everyone for your help, i did as everyone said and it seems to be working fine now. just gotta grease those V guides otherwise they dont half get hot!