Like Tree7Likes

TC Asphalt tire prep

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default TC Asphalt tire prep

Hello,
just getting to TC and I'm racing on asphalt. I was wondering if there was a post on TC tire prep. For example is there a break-in process what tire sauce, do you clean tires before applying sauce etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes, clean the tires before you apply sauce. There are all kinds of cleaners and sauces out there, see what the guys are your track are using. A lot of people clean with brake cleaner, but I don't like that because it attacks plastics. I use rubbing alcohol with some kind of additive a guy at our track adds to keep the tires from drying out. Some people are using the Tuning Haus cleaner. I then coat the slicks with FX2 and heat at 145F with tire warmers. 10 minutes before the race, I remove the heaters and wipe off the tires. If I'm running treaded tires like in VTA or USGT, then I use Trinity Red Dot sauce, but the rest is the same.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old 10-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl
Yes, clean the tires before you apply sauce. There are all kinds of cleaners and sauces out there, see what the guys are your track are using. A lot of people clean with brake cleaner, but I don't like that because it attacks plastics. I use rubbing alcohol with some kind of additive a guy at our track adds to keep the tires from drying out. Some people are using the Tuning Haus cleaner. I then coat the slicks with FX2 and heat at 145F with tire warmers. 10 minutes before the race, I remove the heaters and wipe off the tires. If I'm running treaded tires like in VTA or USGT, then I use Trinity Red Dot sauce, but the rest is the same.
So question here cause i've heard mixed info...
Are you heating to "145*F" that the warmers say, or actual measured temp of 145*F?

I ask because my warmers when set to 175*F get the tire to an actual 145*F.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts
So question here cause i've heard mixed info...
Are you heating to "145*F" that the warmers say, or actual measured temp of 145*F?

I ask because my warmers when set to 175*F get the tire to an actual 145*F.
145F as read on the warmer. Haven't measured actual tire temp, I just know that this works fine.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you're not as serious (like me), simple green (or generic) will also work for cleaning the tires off. It's what people use for cleaning off road tires too.
glennhl likes this.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

back then we would spray water and sugar on the track, and we would clean out tires with simple green and use paragon tire sauce.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Ok, this is my speed tire tip that I see alot of people doing wrong. Even on carpet sadly I see this. People will slap on traction compound 5 or 10 min before the race and grab the car and throw it on the track with the sauce still wet on the tires. I have tested this time and time again with different sauces and the same result occurs. INCONSISTENCY, Let the sauce fully dry. I apply my sauce early even more for carpet which is more noticeable. Even if you apply to early just add more sauce and wipe the extra sauce off when the normal time that you would apply before taking this approach (about 15 min before your race). I have found this to be very effective on carpet. I can also notice a bit more traction on asphalt.
Let the sauce do its work do not stop the process short by throwing it on the track before it fully drys.
If you do this you will eliminate this small factor and will have a much more consistent handling car.
dawgmeat and Slashripper like this.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Brian10811
Ok, this is my speed tire tip that I see alot of people doing wrong. Even on carpet sadly I see this. People will slap on traction compound 5 or 10 min before the race and grab the car and throw it on the track with the sauce still wet on the tires. I have tested this time and time again with different sauces and the same result occurs. INCONSISTENCY, Let the sauce fully dry. I apply my sauce early even more for carpet which is more noticeable. Even if you apply to early just add more sauce and wipe the extra sauce off when the normal time that you would apply before taking this approach (about 15 min before your race). I have found this to be very effective on carpet. I can also notice a bit more traction on asphalt.
Let the sauce do its work do not stop the process short by throwing it on the track before it fully drys.
If you do this you will eliminate this small factor and will have a much more consistent handling car.
Do you think the key is early application or drying? For example, would if have the same effect if you applied early, but continued to apply more before it dried? Clearly this is wasteful if letting it dry gives great results, but just wondering.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

I probably shouldnt make it even harder to find mighty gripper than it already is but on asphalt it’s phenomenal.I always have ludicrous grip. it also does something ive not experienced before. I dont ever have to clean the tires. Even if the track has glazing or sealer or whatever I never have to scrub stuff off. I run outdoor asphalt so dont assume too much. Dust and dirts have to be blown off but none of it sticks. I can Sauce a hard tire down to a medium tire if need be just to give you an idea of how far you can go with it. Ive had several days when the track was terrible and guys packed up and left. On those bad days people always want to know what i did to get traction. Its hard to find in the US but it works very well.

it works particularly well on USGT tires medium traction 90 degree ambient. For some reason I cant get sorex or Solaris at any temp range and sauce recipe to be as good as get tires sauced with the blue. The tires will bow up half way through but they work better that way. The ring of death that eventually takes a tire out seems to be held back by the bowing up of the tire. The ring bows up with the rest of the tire and doesnt turn into a groove. GT tires seem to last longer on the sauce that dry by allot.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Bry195
I probably shouldnt make it even harder to find mighty gripper than it already is but on asphalt it’s phenomenal.I always have ludicrous grip. it also does something ive not experienced before. I dont ever have to clean the tires. Even if the track has glazing or sealer or whatever I never have to scrub stuff off. I run outdoor asphalt so dont assume too much. Dust and dirts have to be blown off but none of it sticks. I can Sauce a hard tire down to a medium tire if need be just to give you an idea of how far you can go with it. Ive had several days when the track was terrible and guys packed up and left. On those bad days people always want to know what i did to get traction. Its hard to find in the US but it works very well.

it works particularly well on USGT tires medium traction 90 degree ambient. For some reason I cant get sorex or Solaris at any temp range and sauce recipe to be as good as get tires sauced with the blue. The tires will bow up half way through but they work better that way. The ring of death that eventually takes a tire out seems to be held back by the bowing up of the tire. The ring bows up with the rest of the tire and doesnt turn into a groove. GT tires seem to last longer on the sauce that dry by allot.
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old 10-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tip!
What does your application strategy look like?
How early are you applying? Are you letting it dry? Reapplying before every run? Clean the tire after the end of the day? etc
Old 10-27-2019, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

I think of blue as strong, red as medium, and yellow as light or a sealer. I think the yellow keeps the tears and junk from sticking.

It depends on the traction at the track but I blue the rear in medium to high and let it dry and thats usually 10 minutes. I wipe off the rest and yellow all 4. Blue is strong but it says that it may not last all 5 minutes so yellow extends the traction out over the whole race. I put yellow on all 4 and as long as its on for 5 minutes there will be no issues. I dont wipe off the yellow.

If you have understeer in the front then put blue on the front when you do the rears followed by yellow.

I dont know if it was intended this way but I use blue to make up for allot of slip and yellow to seal it in. Red is like medium so if you get too much traction with blue then replace it with red and I still seal it in with yellow, if blue on the front has too much oversteer then I red then yellow or just yellow. If yellow is too pushy then I red then yellow. Whatever the conditions and mix is i target the sound. It squeals in heavy corners but they still bark a little with steering.

Im usually running the same tires that everyone else runs for a given set of conditions even through I can sauce up a hard tire. If you red, then blue then yellow you can rush a USGT tire to where it bows up. The GT tire works best bowed up. Since I have much more corner speed on GT tires that TC tires I may just stick to the GT tires in TC. Its a different rubber or something in the GT tires and it just really works well with the mighty gripper.

I blow the tires off with air between runs. That’s all that is really needed. Every once in a while I will use a magic eraser at home on the tires and the feel super clean and tacky after i do it but I dont think you can add more grip to a GT tire for hot asphalt medium traction than what the MG provides.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

I think of blue as strong, red as medium, and yellow as light or a sealer. I think the yellow keeps the tears and junk from sticking.

It depends on the traction at the track but I blue the rear in medium to high and let it dry and thats usually 10 minutes. I wipe off the rest and yellow all 4. Blue is strong but it says that it may not last all 5 minutes so yellow extends the traction out over the whole race. I put yellow on all 4 and as long as its on for 5 minutes there will be no issues. I dont wipe off the yellow.

If you have understeer in the front then put blue on the front when you do the rears followed by yellow.

I dont know if it was intended this way but I use blue to make up for allot of slip and yellow to seal it in. Red is like medium so if you get too much traction with blue then replace it with red and I still seal it in with yellow, if blue on the front has too much oversteer then I red then yellow or just yellow. If yellow is too pushy then I red then yellow. Whatever the conditions and mix is i target the sound. It squeals in heavy corners but they still bark a little with steering.

Im usually running the same tires that everyone else runs for a given set of conditions even through I can sauce up a hard tire. If you red, then blue then yellow you can rush a USGT tire to where it bows up. The GT tire works best bowed up. Since I have much more corner speed on GT tires that TC tires I may just stick to the GT tires in TC. Its a different rubber or something in the GT tires and it just really works well with the mighty gripper.

I blow the tires off with air between runs. That’s all that is really needed. Every once in a while I will use a magic eraser at home on the tires and the feel super clean and tacky after i do it but I dont think you can add more grip to a GT tire for hot asphalt medium traction than what the MG provides.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I know what I'm trying next race day now!
Old 10-29-2019, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

It works great for me just impossible to get and expensive. If you figure out what it is let me know. Dont forget its not a miracle in every application that is why i described where I use it but report back if it works for you in other conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.