R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Jumping back into the ring -- Looking for the right setup

Well I've decided that come fall I will jump back into the sedan ring. I used to race with a xxx-s but I got out of it about a year ago. Now I have some questions.

1. Charger / Power Supply

Currently I have a Novak Millenium Pro which does me fine for micro racing but I'm antisipating an upgrade. I've been looking into the Duratrax ICE. It looks like a great charger, unfortunatley it's discharge rate isn't that great. Should I go with the ICE or is there a better charger around the same price range?

2. Batteries

When I bought my batteries last time I bought from Team Scream. They were great cells at an amazing price. I'm not trying to start a battery war, but where can I pick up the good cells for a really low cost? I'm just trying to minimize my costs. Team Scream still has good prices I think, GP3300's 1.165-1.169 for $38.00. Any ideas?

3. Servo

I never really paid attention to this before, but what's a good value servo?

4. Motors

I plan on racing 19turn. I only raced stock before so I'm not really sure of the options. I think up here it has to be an EPIC based motor (ROAR rules?). Any help on this would be good. I beleive our track size is 45ft by 80ft or something along those lines.

5. Car

Ah, of course the big question. I've been looking at 3 cars in particular. The Corally RDX ( pricey but really nice ), the Xray FK05 (also nice and close to the same price) and the Xray FK04 (is it the same as the FKT1? Also nice and you can pick one up used for a good price ). I'll be racing 19turn foams on carpet, but I may switch to stock motor and rubbers a few times. I'm looking for the following input:

- Which car is best for carpet? Or are they all the same?
- Which car needs the least additions to be competitive in racing? (ceramic bearings, shocks, roll bars. etc)
- Is there a big difference between the FK05 and FK04?
- Is it worth it to go used or buy new?
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks for looking.
Altrodesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Cool RC Gear

Man are you opening a can of worms.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Tech Regular

lol. Ya I know. I'm mainly interested in what people have to say about the cars. I don't want to see anyone posting here who thinks one thing is better because that's all they have. If you have had experience with multiple items, then post what your favoutrite is and why. DO NOT post if you only have experience with one specific thing. Let's keep this clean and informative.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yes...big ol' can of worms, but my $.02 is X-Ray!!!! I am running the FK04 and I love it and from what i have heard - the FK05 is faster than the 04, little better handling/steering....

I ended up going with the 04 b/c of price. If you are running stock on carpet on the 05 you need to add about $150-200 on top of the $379 price to make it competitive (thicker chassis, top deck, sway bar, ackermans, shock towers...

You can pick up an 04 with all that stuff for around 200-300.

For batteries...i use www.kinetixrc.com great prices and phenomenal batteries.

Good value servo is the JR590 metal gear - new you can get for arounf $40 bucks, but there is nothing like a high torque/high speed servo - see if you can get one used.

Charger - i use the gfx - pricey, but a great charger.

Motors - i run the trinity based c2 - www.lightspeedrc.com and www.kinetixrc.com

hope this helps
Mr. McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
If you are running stock on carpet on the 05 you need to add about $150-200 on top of the $379 price to make it competitive (thicker chassis, top deck, sway bar, ackermans, shock towers...
That's what I don't really want to deal with. Is this the same with the Corally and 04?

I'll look into that servo. The GFX, although an amazing charger is a little out of my league. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Personally I don't see why you need to upgrade chargers. The Mill. Pro is still a fine charger so unless you have a real burning desire for something new don't spend the $$. Buy a good discharger instead (integy or spintec). For the chassis if the cost of the Corrally does not scare you then get the carpet version of that and you are ready to race. I have seem Toso run his a couple of times and some local guys have gotten the car and all as good or better then with there old cars. On motors and batteries most of the many companies have great stuff, obviously I would say Team Br00d as they sponser me.
ChadK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Personally I don't see why you need to upgrade chargers. The Mill. Pro is still a fine charger so unless you have a real burning desire for something new don't spend the $$. Buy a good discharger instead (integy or spintec).
Good point. I will leave the charger to my last decision and if money's tight, I'll pass. The charger has been good to me. I think maybe I'll spring for a better power supply as I have never been 100% for using a computer power supply. I've had the charger false peek on me a few times, I've accidently hit a pack once when it was charging and then it just stopped and false peaked.

Quote:
For the chassis if the cost of the Corrally does not scare you then get the carpet version of that and you are ready to race.
So the carpet version should be good to go right out of the box, without having to spend the extra $100 for uprades? That's good.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:37 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrodesigns
Good point. I will leave the charger to my last decision and if money's tight, I'll pass. The charger has been good to me. I think maybe I'll spring for a better power supply as I have never been 100% for using a computer power supply. I've had the charger false peek on me a few times, I've accidently hit a pack once when it was charging and then it just stopped and false peaked.
The Pyramid cds200 (I think that is the model number) is the best value for size. It is as small as the CE one and you can find deals on the net for them goign for about $56.00 and it has 20amp continuos draw...Only shut if off once when I was dynoing while charging two batts at 6amps each...

So the carpet version should be good to go right out of the box, without having to spend the extra $100 for uprades? That's good.
I don't drive a corally but alot of the guys I race with do...I very nice car right out of the box and it has proven that it can race and win.
For carpet it rocks for asphalt it rocks.
I like the BD and the LCG from Yokomo but then again I am baised.
Also the ICE charger is a nice one for the $$$$. Just spend a little on the Integy Zero6 equalizing tray they run $30 and they discharge at 6 amps per cell so really it is a 36amp discharger.
The Mill Pro should give you desent results either way....always nice to have a good second charger if you ever get the itch for tow classes....Man plus if one charger quits at the track the spare is nice ot have around.
Hope this helps.
Another good choice for servo if you have a little more $$$ is the Futaba S9550 low profile digital servo...For about $75 new it is fast and torquy and it is extra small to help fit the ESC and reciever on the deck.
Also if you are lookinfg for ESC the newest crop are all winners so you pick and you can win. Ones I have liked are the LRP Quantom Comp2, the KO VFS1 pro and the GM racing SX12 (the smallest of all esc's) I don;t care for Novak ESC I had a couple dye and that just said unreliable. The QC2 I have had a year and it works as well as the day I bought it. The SX12's I have are flawless work horses. Just some more extra things to think on.
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:10 AM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

1. Charger/Power Supply
The charger you currently have is just fine, only think you need to get for racing is a discharger/equalizer. The Integy tray equalizes and also discharges at 30A, so I would say go with that. Personally, I use the Trinity trays, but that's because my charger can discharge at 30A
If you need to get a power supply, don't buy some over-priced, stickered-up one. Go to Radio Shack and get their 25A ps or the 20A ps from buyreliant.com (PSV-200)

2. Batteries
Any reputable matcher will have high quality cells, that are no better or worse than others. Go for whatever is the easiest to get and best deal. Or just get the ones that look the coolest

3. Servo
I personally prefer a digital servo and use the KO2123, but any KO servo (analog or digital) is an awesome servo. Another good servo is the Airtronics ERG.

4. Motors
Reedy Quad Mag or C2. Try both and see which one you prefer.
5. Car
Xray FK04 for sure. As it seems that you are not trying to spend as much as possible, the deals that you can get on a used FK04 are unbeatable compared to buying the newer models. For around $200, you can get one that will have all the parts needed to get it setup. I run this car as well and love it.

Hope this helps.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info.

Looks like all pick up a new PS, a good equalizing tray and discharger.

I already have my ESC, it's a LRP Quantum Super Sport and my RX is the Novak XXL so I don't have any space issues.

As for the car it's still a toss up. I'll have to see what funds are avaiable and make the purchase based on that.

Anymore comments/suggestions?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

With the Corally cars you can buy the kit that suits you best...

The standard UK kit has worked great for me on carpet, didn't have to add a thing to it right out of the box. It ain't too bad on ashpalt either

Or you can get the US carpet spec for that little EXTRA stiffness for carpet racing, From what I have heard it ain't so bad on asphalt if you put the thinner top plate on it.

You can't go wrong with the RDX!!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Just spend a little on the Integy Zero6 equalizing tray they run $30 and they discharge at 6 amps per cell so really it is a 36amp discharger.
Hi Stephen, just a note, discharge tray at 6 amps is still a 6 amp discharger.
Just because it discharge parallelly at 6 amps doesn't mean you can add up the total discharge current from each cell and call it a 36amp discharger.

just think about it, how long does it take to discharge a single 3300 cell at 6 amp? and how long does it take to discharge a 6 cell 3300 stick cell at 6 amp? Which is faster? The answer is they should be the same for both.
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow15
Hi Stephen, just a note, discharge tray at 6 amps is still a 6 amp discharger.
Just because it discharge parallelly at 6 amps doesn't mean you can add up the total discharge current from each cell and call it a 36amp discharger.

just think about it, how long does it take to discharge a single 3300 cell at 6 amp? and how long does it take to discharge a 6 cell 3300 stick cell at 6 amp? Which is faster? The answer is they should be the same for both.
Indeed. I think you would want the integy 030 discharge tray for a 30A discharge. a few bucks, but a lot less than what you'd pay for a new charger with that kind of discharge.
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #14
Tech Regular

you dont have to spend 100-200 to get the xray working great on carpet. You only need the top deck which is ~$30.00 and the aluminum post which I believe are $10.00. You will only need the thicker chassis if you plan on racing at a big carpet race such as the snowbirds. Even without the topdeck the car will perform great. You will need to get the sway bar set and springs though. You might as well get the new xray because it is sooo much easier to put your battery in the car.

Had a gt7 for almost 2 years and never had a problem with it so I can only recommend them.

Kinetixrc.com has the best stuff for the price out there. That includes 19 turn motors and batteries.

Servo...get the futaba 9550 and be done with the servo situation for a long time.

Just remember, with these cars, you get what you pay for. If you cheap out, the car will cheap out on you in the middle of the race.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote