R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #121
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Soviet,
Just as easy as designing a noodle tub....

This car is a definite improvement over the Team TC4. While definitely AE went the right route with their chassis design, Jason at BMI did it sooner with his TC4 kit. That's all I have to say about that. It's not a copy of the BMI; there are only so many ways to make a effective, tunable, and stiff plate chassis for this car...
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #122
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi jon
Grizz-yeah you obviously had a problem with the weight and just dont realize it....
You are showing yourself up to be a pedantic fool who has to have the last word. You rarely seem to understand any point anyone makes so I will have to just ignore you from now on.

To summarize my thoughts on the fttc4:

Bad:
The new shock mounts are un-necessary and just add weight and expensive
It looks like removing the motor and spur gear will be much more awkward
They have missed the chance of putting cells slots on the motor side to get a more balance weight distribution(4+2)
More Bling
Good:
The chassis should be stiffer and lighter.
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:25 PM   #123
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

*raises hand like a civilized person*
Question?- with that long center brace with the counter sunk screws case the car to tweak easier, kind of like the problem the pro4 had for a while. I mean since the screws are counter sunk and they are aluminum, would they be more susceptible to broken screws and tweak from the chassis trying to absorb the energy coming from a hard hit to the wall making the car flex(left to right twist pattern)? Or am I thinking that the car is will not twist left and right but want to make a folding type bend where the brace will support the its self in a crash not causing the car to tweak at all?

Anyways if this was a dumb question don't flame me for asking, becuase we are able to ask questions, aren't we?

Lazyboy
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #124
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i am a off-road guy and i am getting a TC4 just for a little bit of club racing, i like the design of the FT TC4 but i dont like the tape in batterys,

will there be a battery strap option like the xray has?
BrentL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:28 PM   #125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Soviet,
Just as easy as designing a noodle tub....

I dunno about that mate...

A tub requires much more extensive CAD work and 3D modeling to create one thats:

1. Light
2. Torsionally stiff
3. Forgiving in a crash

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WOW 4-5 pages of some of the best BENCH RACING i have ever read. Holy crap!

How many ways can a shaft drive car be built? At this point we are not going to be see changes so large that everyone will be saying wow what a totaly radical design. With belted cars we are starting to see things calm down to a few popular lay outs. For shaft cars we are only going to be seeing changes in millimiters and degrees over the next few years. There all looking the same and will continue to as there is only so many ways to configuer a shaft cars chassis layout.

Look at OVAL cars: They have been in a stale state for a decade. why? because there is only so much that can be done with the design. Stale to joe-new-bee who cant see the difference between 1 and 2 degrees in camber but is more intrested in the color of the rims it comes with. But for ovlal racers the small changes over the years result in on track speed. I think even though all the shaft cars "look" the same they are all unique just as to the un educated F1 cars all look the same.

PS: AE should be given praise for one of the strongest drive trains in shaft drive cars. Took tamiya 4 or 5 shaft cars to finally copy the floating shaft
Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #127
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy
*raises hand like a civilized person*
Question?- with that long center brace with the counter sunk screws case the car to tweak easier, kind of like the problem the pro4 had for a while. I mean since the screws are counter sunk and they are aluminum, would they be more susceptible to broken screws and tweak from the chassis trying to absorb the energy coming from a hard hit to the wall making the car flex(left to right twist pattern)? Or am I thinking that the car is will not twist left and right but want to make a folding type bend where the brace will support the its self in a crash not causing the car to tweak at all?

Anyways if this was a dumb question don't flame me for asking, becuase we are able to ask questions, aren't we?

Lazyboy

If anything, counter-sinking allows the chassis to somewhat "self center" as it's assembled. I wouldn't worry about tweak so much though....simply build it flat and get your droop set properly, then do the 'ol xacto-knife trick to check tweak.

You don't need an expensive tweak station.

...and yes...of course it's ok to ask questions...

-Me
Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #128
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Yes, most tubs do. The TC3 graphite tub is a work of art; it's an amazing chassis. The TC4 tub leaves much to be desired...even for asphalt where flex isn't so bad. It does #3 pretty well, but #'s 1 and 2...No.
USVTA Member #211

Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #129
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
WOW 4-5 pages of some of the best BENCH RACING i have ever read. Holy crap!

How many ways can a shaft drive car be built? At this point we are not going to be see changes so large that everyone will be saying wow what a totaly radical design. With belted cars we are starting to see things calm down to a few popular lay outs. For shaft cars we are only going to be seeing changes in millimiters and degrees over the next few years. There all looking the same and will continue to as there is only so many ways to configuer a shaft cars chassis layout.

Look at OVAL cars: They have been in a stale state for a decade. why? because there is only so much that can be done with the design. Stale to joe-new-bee who cant see the difference between 1 and 2 degrees in camber but is more intrested in the color of the rims it comes with. But for ovlal racers the small changes over the years result in on track speed. I think even though all the shaft cars "look" the same they are all unique just as to the un educated F1 cars all look the same.

PS: AE should be given praise for one of the strongest drive trains in shaft drive cars. Took tamiya 4 or 5 shaft cars to finally copy the floating shaft

And YOU SIR are awarded the "PREACH ON BROTHER!!!" award for rctech.net for May 23rd, 2005.

-Me
Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #130
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
I dunno about that mate...

A tub requires much more extensive CAD work and 3D modeling to create one thats:

1. Light
2. Torsionally stiff
3. Forgiving in a crash
Yep, and it cost a lot of money to make the mould. Where as lazer cutting a sheet of CF has virtualy no start up costs, you just have to load the design into the machine and insert the materials. But for mass production the mould design comes into it's own.
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #131
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

Quote:
If anything, counter-sinking allows the chassis to somewhat "self center" as it's assembled. I wouldn't worry about tweak so much though....simply build it flat and get your droop set properly, then do the 'ol xacto-knife trick to check tweak.

You don't need an expensive tweak station.

...and yes...of course it's ok to ask questions...

Thankyou...
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
And YOU SIR are awarded the "PREACH ON BROTHER!!!" award for rctech.net for May 23rd, 2005.

Oh my i never expected to win this award. I just want to thank my team and sponsors and most importanly my wife. Without here i would never have the courage to preach on the web as freely as a do.

Thanks soviet proudly accept this award
Old 05-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #133
Tech Elite

Didn't Josh Cyrul win this award a a few months ago?
USVTA Member #211

Old 05-23-2005, 10:13 PM   #134
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Didn't Josh Cyrul win this award a a few months ago?

Yes...yes he did...

-Me
Old 05-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #135
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortiz
Juho L. seems to have no problem going fast with this car. I don't seem to have any problem either. My car actually stunned everyone this weekend when it weighed in at 52.8 oz.(No dremel work, and I still use the Battery brace) So I was illegal! But it's cool because our track doesn't really check weight, and I know some others were light as well.

Anyway, not only did I TQ , I also managed to get the fastest 5 min run on the track so far.

So if you don't like the car, dont waiste your precious time reading up on it!!
hey ortiz where were u sunday we test/ tune at the track in durham sunday ru coming dwn this sunday i heard u bringing smoke lately bring ur tc4 cya reggie
tc3 racer sc is offline   Reply With Quote