R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-25-2003, 07:57 PM   #751
Tech Champion

For those of you running the 3racing chassis you might find this new part interesting. It's a pair of bearing braces that replace the stock plastic gear cover. It allows for easier access to the spur gear and much easier in setting gear mesh.

http://www.formula1-rc.com/shop/FPM3RacingParts.asp

InspGadgt
Race Director
OFRA
Formula1-Rc.com
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:15 PM   #752
Tech Elite

Good luck to all those at the Tamiya North American Finals.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 03:20 AM   #753
Tech Rookie

Could anyone suggest a suitable gearing for a Peak Jaguar 17x2. I run the Cross Carbon Chassis with adjustable motor mount and loads of other mods, so many that there are only 5 original parts from the kit left over.
Dude-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:28 PM   #754
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

For those of you interested in participating in the upcoming F1RL Series and you haven't signed up for our newsletter, please sign up for the newsletter immediately on www.f1rl.com and click on the "Sign up for our mailing list" in the upper left hand corner.

There will be a newsletter going out tomorrow night with information regarding a meeting for all drivers this weekend. I will also be posting on here about the meeting as soon as the time and date is finalized. This meeting is very important because we will be voting on a couple of things and picking teammates, and possibly starting the season 2 weeks earlier, so you'll want to be there to get all the information!

If you know of someone that is interested in running the series, but is not on R/C Tech, please let them know. Thank you!

Steve Wang

Last edited by SpeedTech; 09-30-2003 at 12:56 AM.
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 06:45 AM   #755
Tech Rookie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Ooj
hi guys,

i am considering getting a f201 but i was wondering if it was possible to use side by side packs in this chassis like i used to with the f103?
Don't get one, I've run mine 12 times and the motor has already started to bog down and the run times have diminished. Out of the box this f-201 is actually slower than my nephieu's M-03 Mini Cooper chassis. A total whaste of time and money, get a TC3.
solid snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:01 AM   #756
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by solid snake
Don't get one, I've run mine 12 times and the motor has already started to bog down and the run times have diminished. Out of the box this f-201 is actually slower than my nephieu's M-03 Mini Cooper chassis. A total whaste of time and money, get a TC3.
Comparting the F201 to any other electric car is not right.
The F201 is a separate type of RC car, just like the TC3 and a pan car, 2 different types. Any car out-of-the-box will have the same problems as you had. My first TC3 ran good the first 5-6 times then I'd be lucky to make it around the track before being lapped.
Certain "hop-ups" will make any car faster ( my F201 was was clocked at 39 MPH by a Fairfax County police officer, I have a lot of hopups to gert it that fast). Yes my TC3 is faster than the F201 but both of then are quite faster than my son's EMAXX truck.
The TC3 is the electric car benchmark for which all the 10 scale electric cars are judged and it has been around for a while, the F201 is only a year and a half old and it is getting better.
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:03 AM   #757
Tech Rookie

Thumbs down

I'm very frustrated with this car. I remember seeying a video made by Tamiya at the Tamiya track and the car was really fast in the straights...the car was flying! I think the video is still at wildhobbies.com.

1. I was not aware that I would have to invest another $100, just to keep up with an M-03.

2. I was not aware that this car burns up motors either.

So now what, I have to buy a new motor every 10 runs, and I'm not even racing. Even a Radio Shack car lasts longer than that. Don't even get me started on the tires, they suck as well. High wear low traction.

You're right, the f201 is a different type of car, it costs more and performs less.
I've had many cars, this is my first lemon! Anybody thinking of buying one, consider yourself warned.
solid snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:38 AM   #758
Tech Regular

I love my F201. Yes it's slower than my Mission Touring Car, but I knew it would be. Yes the kit tyres suck, but you can replace them with any number of low wear/ high grip tyres from Tamiya, Pit, Ride, etc. Just like any other normal kit. And I don't have any problems with motors wearing out. I'm still running the one that came in my kit. All of my F201 friends are too.

I think if you like the look of a Formula 1 car, or any open wheeler, including the pushrod suspension, then you will like this car. If that's not what you're looking for, then look elsewhere, but I'm a happy customer!
BagofSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:01 AM   #759
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by solid snake
I'm very frustrated with this car. I remember seeying a video made by Tamiya at the Tamiya track and the car was really fast in the straights...the car was flying! I think the video is still at wildhobbies.com.

1. I was not aware that I would have to invest another $100, just to keep up with an M-03.

2. I was not aware that this car burns up motors either.

So now what, I have to buy a new motor every 10 runs, and I'm not even racing. Even a Radio Shack car lasts longer than that. Don't even get me started on the tires, they suck as well. High wear low traction.

You're right, the f201 is a different type of car, it costs more and performs less.
I've had many cars, this is my first lemon! Anybody thinking of buying one, consider yourself warned.
Solid Snake,

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with the car, we had a great time with the car last weekend at TCS Nationals, and it was one of the biggest class at the nationals (around 36-38 entires) These cars were almost doing the same lap times as the GT-1 class (touring cars with the same motor) and I think if we didn't have the gearing limitation, we would be just as fast.

I don't believe you need $100 worth of hop-ups to get the car up to speed. In fact, the guy that dominated our F1 series last season early on had no hop-ups on his car (except he switched out the tires, which I agree with you, they are horrible) And the guy the qualified first and finished 2nd overall at the TCS National over the weekend had less than $100 worth of hop-ups as well I believe (I was seriously checking out his car) So although all those hop-ups are nice, you don't necessarily have to have them.

I'm not sure what your nephew have as far as motor in his M03, but gearing also plays a big issue on how fast the car goes. Also, if you're using the black motor that came with the kit, then what you can try is purchase a motor that is rebuildable. This will allow you to change out the brush and cut the motor to keep the performance up. The black can motor that comes with the kit is a closed endbell type and does not allow for rebuild.

What I suggest is the following for you:

Pit shimizu PS-0518 and PS-0513 tires (these are firmer tires, which will give you more life, but still provide plenty of traction) cost = $38 a complete set

Trinity Monster Stock motor (this motor will work extremely well with the kit included gear ratio, and it is completely rebuildable) cost = $32. Change the brushes on the motor about every 5-6 runs if you're just playing around in the parking lot, and about 10 runs, remove the armature and ask someone to true it for you. Put in new brushes (which are less than $3) and your motor will be as good as new again with the same power as before.

Most of us that run the F201 class are F1 fanatics, and we enjoy the F201 chassis because it looks so realistic on the track and because it is 4WD, it makes it so much easier to drive than the 2WD pan car style F103. Give those suggestions some thought, and maybe you'll want to give it a try... and if you have any questions, just post on here, there are a lot of knowledgeable F201 racers on this messageboard, and we'll help you out

Steve Wang
Old 09-30-2003, 09:27 AM   #760
Tech Elite

Great points Steve. Much of my car was stock, the parts that weren't I had to replace with a hop up due to wear.

Solid Snake, the F201 drivers are those who are fanatics about FIA Formula1 racing. This kit replicates those cars with the added feature of a front transmission to allow for better driving and near realism. Comparing this type of car with any other car is similar to comparing yourself with the opposite gender. You just can't do it. Think twice about the F201, if the car was built correctly, the stock parts will last a long time if you drive car, not bash it. If you have a chance, next TCS season, go to a TCS regional race and watch the F201 class and see how real the cars look and perform racing each other.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:22 PM   #761

hey neil, this is ritchie, i talked to you briefly about your setup after the racing was over. don't need ever thing just basic stuff.
i was truely amazed with your car and the number 5 car, those things were dailed i didn't know they could be so good. of course your driving wasn't bad either. my goal was to be in the top ten so i was bummed and thought the weekend sucked, my only high point was my overall finishing spot in the 4 round, but i'm all better now and as i look back i guess i did have a good time. it was a good learning experence. see you guys next year.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:46 PM   #762
Tech Elite

Hi Ritchie, I'll PM you my setups. Hopefully you can use them at your local track.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:53 PM   #763
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RCInfinity
Hi Ritchie, I'll PM you my setups. Hopefully you can use them at your local track.
Of course they'll work on his track, it's majic...hehe. I tried calling you earlier today foo! Wanna go to KZ and watch the 5th scale worlds?

One more thing...I wanna race you with my 201 at Tamiya America before I leave for J-Land to see where it's really at hehe.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:54 PM   #764
Tech Elite

Hmmmmmm, what day?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:01 PM   #765
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hehe I don't care...I haven't touched it since that FV race. About the 5th scale race, I was thinking maybe on Sunday. I don't know what they're schedule is like though
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote