R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-26-2002, 05:35 PM   #241
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Trikster,

Yes, they are in stock, and the bodies as well (we have the Type A clear, or the Ferrari body) along with a bunch of new F201 hop-ups. We updated the website last night.

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 06:33 PM   #242
Tech Master

I agree with rcpigz that the F201 does definitely drive differently than a sedan, but it still has the cool factor that the sedan guys will get excited about. Trust me on this one, no sedan racer will get wood when you show them a 2wd F1 car. When they see how fast the car is with a 24 degree stock motor, maybe. The F201 has a much longer wheelbase, so the turns are nowhere near as crisp as sedan. They are very fun to drive, especially with 19T Spec motors. If you guys still want to start a 2wd class, the only cars that are still being made that I am aware of are the Cross Fireforce and the Corally F1 cars. I personally like the HPI SuperF1 car the best of the bunch because it works well on a variety of surfaces, particularly slippery asphalt. Unfortunately HPI parts are hard to come by these days, but the car does use many AE parts. The same is true with the Corally car and both use AE style pan-car rims and foam tires. The cool thing about the Cross car is that you can easily run Tamiya style rubber or foam tires and Ride makes grooved rubber tires to fit Tamiya rims. You can still find plenty of Tamiya parts as well if you want to get an F103. All are excellent cars and very competitive with each other. That is still my favorite class to race, but the numbers are definitely dwindling in CA.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:08 PM   #243
Tech Adept

What part number is the pinion set? Do I need a different motor mount to use these? How many gears does it change?
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:32 PM   #244
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well if i do get one, i'll go for the f201...atleast i'll easily find parts... and I'll just not put in the shaft and front diff to make it a 2wd F-1 car(so they won't hassle me at the track).

so the best hop ups for it would be the adjustable motor mount for different pinions and the tuning spring set plus the aluminum V things for the shocks right? of course the pit shimisu front and rear tires...mediums I would guess would be best for prepped asphalt?
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:41 AM   #245
Tech Master

Aluma

IMO, if you run the F201 2wd, you won't be even close to competitive with the pan-car chassis if you all run the same motor. The reason the pan-cars are so fast is because they are really light and have ultra effecient drivetrains. The F201has neither of these. If you run the F201 4wd, I believe the car will be competitive if properly geared and all cars are running the same motor. The pan-cars will be much faster on the straight, but the F201 should pull nicely in the twisties and negate the speed advantage of the pan-cars. This has been my experience the times that I have raced with both chassis types on the track at the same time. If you put a 19T motor in the F201, it is a lot faster, but you should have about 1 second a lap advantage over pan-cars with stock motors. Of course, the track layout makes a big difference.

Trikster

There are a number of gearing options available for the F201. If you don't care about being TCS legal and want to spend the least amount possible, I suggest that you pick up the Tamiya 0.6 pinion gears and modify your existing motor mount to allow the motor to slide. If you enlarge the bolt holes where the motor mounts, you will be able to move it around to accomodate different sized pinion gears. I used my Dremel to do this before there were any hopups available for the car and it worked fine. The Tamiya pinion set part#'s are:

50356 20, 21 tooth 0.6
50357 22, 23 tooth 0.6

Here's the gear ratios with the kit spurgear (55T)
20T pinion 7.15:1
21T pinion 6.81:1
22T pinion 6.50:1
23T pinion 6.22:1

Otherwise, there are many adjustable motor mounts and spurgear adapters available. If you get the spurgear adapter, you'll be able to easily switch to 48 or 64 pitch gears, which opens up your gear ratio options greatly.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:31 PM   #246
Tech Adept

If I wanted to stay TCS legal, what steps would I have to take? Also, what exactly is TCS? Is it like ROAR?
Old 11-27-2002, 08:12 PM   #247
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check out the January 03 issue of "RCCar" magazine. It has a feature on the TCS Nationals from a couple of months back. And if you look at the F1 page, the williams fw"something" is me . TCS info can be found here http://www.tamiyausa.com/events/tcs/index.html.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 06:30 PM   #248
Tech Adept

Shock Question

Has anyone come up with an equivalent setup to David Jun's utilizing the more conventional shock setup (with pistons and regular shock oil)?
Old 11-29-2002, 10:41 PM   #249
Tech Champion

I tried the aluminum damper and new pistons, right now I have 70wt in the front and 80wt in the rear, all with 1 hole pistons. I was just checking out the new F1 champion David Joos's setup and he is running three holw with light oil (#200 from Tamiya, I'm assuming that's light, not too familiar with the Tamiya oil grades) so I guess it varies from racer to racer. But at least now you can use regular oil (and not 1/8th scale diff grease/goo)

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 11-30-2002, 03:56 PM   #250
Tech Apprentice

Just wanted to let you guys know that we have Jaguar R3 decals available for sale. These are high quality decal sets for the Jaguar that model the car from the 2002 Suzuka Grand Prix.

We also have Michelin tire decals available.

Check them out Formula 1 R/C http://www.formula1-rc.com/shop
TheNige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:52 PM   #251
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

Okay, here's my first work (I know it could be better )

And our F201 point series is about to start in less than two weeks. Those of you that owns a F201 and if you're in the Souther California area, email me if you would like more info about the point series.

Can't wait to test out some of the new parts from Tamiya

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 12-02-2002, 12:00 AM   #252
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Steve, looks good!! you've been busy today huh? can't wait to race.........
Deves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:45 AM   #253
Tech Adept

Not bad, just need the driver's head. If you are following the TCS rules, its required. let the good times
Old 12-02-2002, 08:52 AM   #254
Tech Rookie

Good job partner. I am anxious to see if you do your helmet like mine.

We will be a team to contend with hehe.

I removed some of the droop with pre load spacers and put the Pits mediums on and it was a big improvement.

You didn't miss much by not racing. The track was wet in the first heat and also in the main.

I didn't even put the car on the ground for the main. No since breaking it now.

Last edited by Flying Fossil; 12-02-2002 at 08:56 AM.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 06:48 PM   #255
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

I got my f201 built except for rec and esc. (D*mn UPS). I can't wait to get it out the track. A couple of questions ...

We use handout transponders, the thick ones. Where would you mount this? I can't see any room under the body. I though mounting it upside down in the driver's lap with the body clip on the inside of the body holding it on but I'm not sure if the signal would work from there. I've seen one track's system miss a few when the transponder was mounted in the windshield.

On carpet, go with Pit soft's? Would those wear ok on carpet? It's not ozite, so it's kinda slick.

I heard that the f201 drove like a cross between a sedan and a 1/12 scale. Now I know "feel" is very subjective but I had to ask. I am gnawing at my bench wanting to drive this thing.
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote