R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-13-2004, 10:55 AM   #1771
Tech Elite

I agree, it was an outstanding statement. My question is what are those two protrusions on the airbox? An early version of today's airbox wings?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:08 AM   #1772
Tech Regular

I was competing at a local event yesterday, and I thought I was all set to go, until the first qualifier started, right away or actually upon entering the first turn I noticed that there was something wrong with my car, it kept sliding out of control, in the way an F103 would when you gave it too much throttle input, at first I thought it was something wrong with the tires or the suspension.
After pulling it off the track I checked the diffs' rotation and found that the front wheels were completely loose, I figured SH$%! I blew the diff. Upon closer inspection I found the problem the diff didn't blow, the screw that holds it together did. I checked the rear and sure enough the screw broke too. I asked a couple of pretty experienced F201 racers, the Hickman brothers. (if you guys have been racing F201 for a while, then you know who they are)
Anyway they told me to switch to the hopup diff. I've searched all over, is there such a thing? From any manufacturer? Or were they talking about the delrin outdrives, the hopup rings, and balls.
How about the screw does Tamiya make a stronger one?
Sorry about the lenghty post guys, but thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
jackhammer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #1773
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The stonger diff the Hickmans were refering to is the Tamiya lightweight diff set. If you can't find them at your local hobby shop they are available from both Formula1-rc.com and speedtechrc.com

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:17 PM   #1774
Tech Elite

Part number 53521, Lightweight diff joint. Two are required, one for the front diff, the other for the rear.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:42 PM   #1775
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to grymg

Just when/how do these screws break? I've been running in the parking lot messing with setups but my stock diffs are fine.

Seems like they break during crashes with boards/other cars because the 2mm screws are so tiny. But pretty much all diffs use 2mm screws.
grymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #1776
Tech Regular

I was told they were fine to run with a silver can or a sport tuned black can, but that a stock motor would put too much strain on them.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #1777
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

i broke em all with just a sports tuned motor. Poorly made screws which break at the head. The lightweight diff set has a reinforced screw in this area and instead of a locking screw, it locks via a locknut which is far more effective. I have yet to break a screw after many many races with it!! (about 9 months!!!) Put it this way, I have broken 1 thrust bearing, and no screws!!! That shows the longevity!!

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #1778
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by grymg
Just when/how do these screws break? I've been running in the parking lot messing with setups but my stock diffs are fine.

Seems like they break during crashes with boards/other cars because the 2mm screws are so tiny. But pretty much all diffs use 2mm screws.
I think it's a bad design to use a screw and counter screw. The hop up diff is much more better. I have broken so many of the early screws that I almost gave up on the car. I'm glad I found the hop up.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #1779
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Several racers here have broken those screws also. Not sure how it happens but it does. Personally I went directly to the lightweight diffs, no problems at all.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #1780
Tech Regular

thanks for the help guys, I had found the Lightweight diff joints but I didn't know that these came with the reinforced screw, I couldn't find pictures of it anywhere before. I just found one in Tower's site.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #1781
Tech Addict

Hey Neil,
Those are flow conditioners for the airbox area and have been since banned in the technical regulations back in 2002 and onward. Got to cut cost somewhere I guess.
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:27 PM   #1782

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Hi ritchie. I ended up asking Tamiya to post my race report simply because I had many requests for it. Those who initially asked me for it got the meat of the report, the full report is on the website. Besides, it's good that other people are aware because if you defeat them on the track, it's more gratifying.
just ribbing you. i'm planning on making it to newark at the beginning of next year for the first race, (family lives about 3 miles away) maybe see you there.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #1783
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by gtypecanare
Hey Neil,
Those are flow conditioners for the airbox area and have been since banned in the technical regulations back in 2002 and onward. Got to cut cost somewhere I guess.
Flow conditioners? What is that suppose to do compared to today's airbox wings?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #1784
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
just ribbing you. i'm planning on making it to newark at the beginning of next year for the first race, (family lives about 3 miles away) maybe see you there.
Unfortunately I will be moving at the end of this month and won't be going to any TCS regionals . If I'm lucky, I'll be able to go to the TCS nats next year for the past chumps race.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:42 PM   #1785
Tech Addict

ask an aero guy, he or she might know.
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote