Wiki Posts
Search

Should EFRA allow Lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:38 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

Default Should EFRA allow Lipos?

Every day more and more associations are allowing lipo batteries in RC car racing.

ROAR have done it.

Should EFRA (European Federation of Radio Operated Model Automobiles) make them legal too?

Today only 5 NiMh cells are allowed.

What do you think?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Tech Adept

I do hope they will, I started using them (racing mod) here in The Netherlands and love it. I think many of, if not all, mod racers will use them next year. No dead cells, always top performance. At our club level we are investigating how to set rules to allow lipo's at club lever races even if EFRA keeps sub-c (controlling temp and voltage before a race).
Z
Old 10-01-2008, 04:36 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

A lot of the European drivers at Vegas used them and loved them in Mod. Marc, Jilies, Victor, etc. You can simply charge the pack anytime during the day and its ready to race. No repeaking, no last minute charging, no equalizing, no dead cells, etc. The only problem is the speed with the Lipo's..Its fast in Modified!!

Hopefully EFRA will make the change so the rest of the world can enjoy what we have here in the US!

EA
Old 10-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Short answer:

YES!!!

That decision can't be made fast enough!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would think the question... is more of "When will EFRA legalize LiPo's"
Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 AM
MSB
Tech Adept

Yes, for a standard and defined stock class. In modified class when everybody starts using lipo with a BL 2,5t, the esc’s will not handle as well some chassis rolling parts. It’s like living the 2006 season with a lot of people stopping at 3min. of race.
Also, not everybody drives like Marc, Jilles, and Victors. There will be a lot of crashing in races.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Other Question: Is it time to raise the runtime of the heats? With today's Lipos (4000-8000 mAh ), it's possible to drive much longer than 5 minutes with the same speed as before....
Old 10-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We tried longer heats and mains at my local track this year and seems to be a lot harder on tires when you start running longer. For me 5mins in sedan is fine.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

EFRA should approve LiPo, and it should keep TC Mod as max 6v.

TC with 7.4v are undriveable for the majority of drivers. Also, European countries have strict Health and Safety Laws, so all tracks would need to to be upgraded to 8th Track standards which most Clubs can't afford.

No, the heat length should not be increased. That means that meetings must have less drivers, and that means an increase in race fees, or less income for the Club. In the current economic climate, neither is acceptable. And, as Fred B says, it will mean another tyre war, and much more wear and tear on the car - both are more expense.

The only place where TC Mod is still 7.2v is ROAR. Everywhere else in the World, National competition is 6v or 4.8v. I think pushing TC Mod to 7.4v will probably drive people to 12th and Off-Road and World GT.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
EFRA should approve LiPo, and it should keep TC Mod as max 6v.

TC with 7.4v are undriveable for the majority of drivers. Also, European countries have strict Health and Safety Laws, so all tracks would need to to be upgraded to 8th Track standards which most Clubs can't afford.

No, the heat length should not be increased. That means that meetings must have less drivers, and that means an increase in race fees, or less income for the Club. In the current economic climate, neither is acceptable. And, as Fred B says, it will mean another tyre war, and much more wear and tear on the car - both are more expense.

The only place where TC Mod is still 7.2v is ROAR. Everywhere else in the World, National competition is 6v or 4.8v. I think pushing TC Mod to 7.4v will probably drive people to 12th and Off-Road and World GT.
We should have a motor limit : 4.5T with lipo semms good...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SlowerOne

SlowerOne can you explain better? I do not see connection between one thing and the other.

See, TC with 7,4v are problably so driveable as 10/200 and a lot of people drive them.

Most of tracks are shared by 10/200, 1/10 elect (some already with 1/8 and 1/5) so why because of 7,4v in TC should tracks be upgraded to 1/8 Standards?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

10/200 are heavier,have more wheelbase and run foams.Those should be more driveable than our lightweight electric TCs.
I could imagine some freaks running lipo with 6T deltas or 2,5T brushless it will be Destruction Derby Galore,for sure.
You wouldnt be happy if a speedfreak hits you.Your race can end by the insanity of some drivers.
TC is all about driving skills not Dragsters.

I second Hugo Lipos,are wellcome but motor limit is a must.
If not there will be more broken parts,burned electronics and so on...
Old 10-02-2008, 02:34 AM
MSB
Tech Adept

We can not mixing 1/10-200 with electric classes, both are different.
It’s like putting people playing badminton with people playing tennis only because they use have rackets.

In most countries the tracks for the electric classes are more technical than the 1/8 long straights circuits. That is the spirit of 1/10 electric – technical tracks.

I agree with SlowerOne in the rising costs of electric class, like tyres, electronics, wear on the car, if we permit such a freedom. It will be the killing of 1/10 electric touring.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MSB

In most countries the tracks for the electric classes are more technical than the 1/8 long straights circuits. That is the spirit of 1/10 electric – technical tracks.
I do not know if it is the spirit, or if it is an obligation because of the batteries. Only now we have batteries to run happily in the same tracks as 1/10-200, with lipo.

Originally Posted by MSB
It will be the killing of 1/10 electric touring.
Different aproach.

I am using lipo with the motor I want in club racing, and it is what keeps me running.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=PDM;4897950]I do not know if it is the spirit, or if it is an obligation because of the batteries. Only now we have batteries to run happily in the same tracks as 1/10-200, with lipo.
QUOTE]

Even in Club Racing,where lipo is used without motor limitation,electric TC doesnt use the whole track.
At least in big tracks such as Sintra and Monsanto.You should know that.
Yesterday I've noticed a driver wondering in Gm brushless thread,about the possibility of running 5T and 6T with lipo.
Dont you think 700W to 800W is to powerfull for an electric car?
Unless the idea is running fast n the straight and crash in first corner.

This same issues have been discussed at Portuguese forum.
I cant understand why you bring it here again.Do you need international audience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.