R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dakrat
what part of cali are u from? im from cali and ive never seen anyone charging at 10 amps. and i wouldnt be surprised if ur not sponsored either. companies dont sponsor immatures. nice try.

you are so wrong homie...you just dont no how we do it
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:20 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by crimson eagle
Nice way to avoid my point lickrim. I did not say that I had a problem for what you do at big races. I have a problem that you are telling other racers to do. I imagine most of them who only race at local events and you are telling them to charge at crazy amperages and waste thier cells in a hurry. I know at big events you do what you have to do to win but 95% of the people here are not in the top 5% of the hobby. These guys want to keep thier cells for 6 -12 months maybe even more. Doing what you say is not going to achieve that.

Back to the point of the thread. If you look at the attached pic you will see the results from a test run I did which is posted on my website. The results are from a test run comparing multi phasic charging and linear charging with four cycles of each method. The cycles were all done on the same set of cells over a period of four days. Run time, voltage and punch (power %age) are all improved with Multi Phasic charging.
i didnt know that you are the battery guru. its my opinion, take it or leave it...do you
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Chris is the "race guru" in 1/12th scale around here.

With his connection to ProTrak (attached at the hip ) , he easily qualifies as a battery and charging guru too.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #34
Tech Master

most chargers cant even go more than 8 amps charging. maybe lickrim is smarter than these manufacturers and have more knowledge about batteries. lets see.... pulsar2 has max of 8 amps, ice has 8 amps max, hmmm... what else..
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

lickrim
instead of charging at 10 amps just short the cells straight across a 12 volt for about 5-10 secs that will give you the edge you need

please don`t try this at home only lickrim can do this, coz he know`s what he is doing
also every one is better then the uk , (only coz they are jealous we have a very powerfull currency)

back on topic

i need convincing to , i a little bit suspicious about the marketing game so need more input input
i still use 5.5, 4mv/c linear charge , trust it with my life

just wondering if this steppy thingy is good
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #36
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive just been doing mine with a straight 6A, thinking of stepping it up a notch to 7 or 8A but it will depend on my driving and the occasion
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
most chargers cant even go more than 8 amps charging. maybe lickrim is smarter than these manufacturers and have more knowledge about batteries. lets see.... pulsar2 has max of 8 amps, ice has 8 amps max, hmmm... what else..
Actually the Pulsar Competition2 does go to 10 amps. That's one of the differences between the 1 &2 versions... not that it matters.

Here's a thought- You can start your charge at a high number like 8-10 amps for maybe 2000mah then go to a trickle like Hara's profile then go to a steady 5amp charge to finish the pack. This will decrease your charge time, give the cells a good jolt and still won't be that detremental to the pack since you aren't PEAKING them on 8-10 amps. Just for the sake of sharing knowledge, I use the Record Breaker and I start at 7.5amps (2200mah) then down to 6amps(3200mah) then to 5 amps(4000mah). The record breaker doesn't use mah settings in an added fashion, it's incremental which means that the second charge setting takes over from 2200ma's to 3200ma's. I wanted to make that clear because those who aren't familiar with the charger usually think the steps are added instead of incremental.

FYI- I also have the Pulsar Comp2 and I sometimes charge at a linear 6amps and I feel the step charging gives me more punch. However, I HAVE NOT done a cycle comparison with a T35 chrgin with the T35 and the RB step charging to validate my theory. Even if the benefit is only in my mind, it's a proven fact that if you think something is better, you will most likely perform better with it.

Here's a quick story to prove it- back in the day, some guys I know named David and Jeff used to race elec off road together. Dave ran mod and Jeff ran stock. Jeff would bring his motor to Dave to build, say before the main or the last qual. . Dave would build it and dyno it. Maybe try to do a little tuning as well. More than once, Dave would hand the motor back to Jeff and say something like "man, that motor is o good you could run some old beat down cells and still win." So Jeff would go run and usually win. The funny thing is that most of the time the motor wouldn't be any better after Dave built it than it was before, and a few times it was actually worse (on the dyno), but when Dave told Jeff it was wicked fast and if he couldn't win with that motor then he oughta quit racing, Jeff would drive that bitch like like a man on a mission. But if Dave told him it was just average on power, Jeff would lose the race before the tone ever went off....

I like stories from "back in the day" LOL
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Seriously, I belive that charging at 10A will only give you more power in the first minute or so then the pack will start to fade!!
Using the step charge will make the pack peak at a lower temp and keep it's power tru the whole 5min.

I have tested allot with Flex Charging, Linear Charging and Step Charging.... I use the Step Charge Exclusively on my Advantage charger because that has given me the best results!!
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:37 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing

Here's a quick story to prove it- back in the day, some guys I know named David and Jeff used to race elec off road together. Dave ran mod and Jeff ran stock. Jeff would bring his motor to Dave to build, say before the main or the last qual. . Dave would build it and dyno it. Maybe try to do a little tuning as well. More than once, Dave would hand the motor back to Jeff and say something like "man, that motor is o good you could run some old beat down cells and still win." So Jeff would go run and usually win. The funny thing is that most of the time the motor wouldn't be any better after Dave built it than it was before, and a few times it was actually worse (on the dyno), but when Dave told Jeff it was wicked fast and if he couldn't win with that motor then he oughta quit racing, Jeff would drive that bitch like like a man on a mission. But if Dave told him it was just average on power, Jeff would lose the race before the tone ever went off....

I like stories from "back in the day" LOL
... good one Jason
Nothing better that a good ol` Jedi Mind Trick..... this isn`t the power you are looking for ( insert wave of hand )
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Quote:
sometimes you have to use two chargers.
TJ Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

The Pro Trak will do 12A though I've never tried it above 7A.
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ Bradley

u mean use two chargers for one pack? like 5 amps each charger? i dunno bout that
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ Bradley
TJ, most guys don't know that if you hook up two chragers running off the same power supply it will blow the fuse in the p.s.

I've heard of people actually doing w/o blowing the fuse, but I've never seen it with my own eyes...hehe
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
TJ, most guys don't know that if you hook up two chragers running off the same power supply it will blow the fuse in the p.s.

I've heard of people actually doing w/o blowing the fuse, but I've never seen it with my own eyes...hehe
Yea it is seen every once in a while. Most chargers will not agree with that, so you would probably have to use 2 seperate power supplies.

I have tried a simulated step charge using my turbo and just changing the amerage similar to what i have read here. I did 8 amps, then 2, then 6 while on a cycle. It was virtually the same as a normal 6 amp charge numberwise (i did not save the numbers). After doing the same thing but on the track, i honestly could not notice the difference.

I have tried charging at very high rates, and usiually end up just charging at 6 and peaking at 8 for stock / 19, and 5 for modified.

In regards to packs falling off after high rate charge, i feel this is true on a non shorted pack. On a shorted pack they seem to just "fogive and forget" so to speak. I have a few packs that are about 1 year old, have been used every week once or twice, and i would still run at a trophy race with no second thought.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've just started playing with step charging and its a big improvement over linear charging. We run a spec class with the silver can 540 and max 1500mah batteries. I run 1300mah cells and on a linear charge at 6 amps I would only get 1300mah in it. On my step charge I get 1850mah into it and I was definately faster in a straight line. You can't beat it as far as I'm concerned.
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote