Pros & Cons of Step Charging

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

E.J. didn't abuse his packs like that and he TQ'd and finished second
Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Most people on RC tech buy thier cells, telling them to dead short and charge at 10A is telling them to damage thier cells and be out of pocket in a hurry. I'm sure your sponsor would appreciate this.

(Thanks for the backup guys)
Old 05-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by crimson eagle
Most people on RC tech buy thier cells, telling them to dead short and charge at 10A is telling them to damage thier cells and be out of pocket in a hurry. I'm sure your sponsor would appreciate this.

(Thanks for the backup guys)
your boy is giving me batts this year homie ...what up fusion...i will be charging my fusion packs at 10 , relax its the biggest race of the year and your worried about what my sponser is going to think....you dont no that much about BIG RACES, to make power who cares how long they last... thats how we do it in cali.....
Old 05-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

lickrim, your obviously very egocentric. hope you know what that means. Your sponsors must be brain blank if they already know what you do to your cells. and i think its how YOU do it in YOUR LITTLE WORLD. the rest of cali is probably against your stupid methods.

dude, try to keep on subject.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Tech Addict

my god shut up talking like some type of big shot gangster. No-one here cares about 'how you do it in cali' Shut up and talk about step charging, if you havent got anything else to say on the matter then fine. If thats how you charge your cells, fine i havent got a problem with that but stop bitching about how good you do and how bad everyone else does, as there are a few guys on here who could easily kick your arse no doubt.

When you win a world championship come back and preach about how good you are!

Back onto step charging, I saw Hara's charging setup in a magazine not so long ago and im remember that in the middle of his charge he had a time between i think 3300mah and 3700mah where he only charged at 0.3amp or something really low. Why would he have done this as in his other steps he charged at 7A.

thanks
Old 05-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Sleighty

Back onto step charging, I saw Hara's charging setup in a magazine not so long ago and im remember that in the middle of his charge he had a time between i think 3300mah and 3700mah where he only charged at 0.3amp or something really low. Why would he have done this as in his other steps he charged at 7A.

thanks
The second phase is at a very low rate in order to cool off the cells before hitting them with another hard charge.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Tech Adept

hey crimson eagle, nothing against you, I totally respect your opinion.
would you please post your results, Iīm sure the benefits are only marginal in punch, maybe runtime is very little improved cause of low charging current phase, your setting isnīt much different from linear charge,how long is you 7amp hard pulse phase?
Donīt get me wrong, but I saw almost no improvements in tests, these cells really need heat to perform at its fullest.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i would agree that step charging is not so good with stock racing, however it has seemed to help guys who run mod, just cuase of the 10% added run time (give or take).
i myself do run stock & tried step charging last weekend, all my pack's felt flat (no punch) then i switched back to normal charging at 6.0amp & it was much better. allthough they where new pack's.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by lickrim
AHHH WERE YOU AT THE REEDY YOU ONLY CLUB RACE HEY HOMIE THATS HOW WE DO IT IN CALI

what part of cali are u from? im from cali and ive never seen anyone charging at 10 amps. and i wouldnt be surprised if ur not sponsored either. companies dont sponsor immatures. nice try.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

His name is Charlie Albrecht and probably is still sponsored. He's been racing forever. He races at SoCal in Hb. As far as he maturity thing goes..... well we all play with little toy cars so I know I am not going to get into a maturity debate with anyone here.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Chris Brown
His name is Charlie Albrecht and probably is still sponsored. He's been racing forever. He races at SoCal in Hb. As far as he maturity thing goes..... well we all play with little toy cars so I know I am not going to get into a maturity debate with anyone here.
I AM THE TOY CAR RACER" LOL
Mature I am not....
See you at the track some time Chris....Enjoy the BD.
Stephen
Old 05-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Chris Brown
well we all play with little toy cars so I know I am not going to get into a maturity debate with anyone here.
Well put Chris.

Hope to meet you guys at the Reedy.

Bill
Old 05-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Nice way to avoid my point lickrim. I did not say that I had a problem for what you do at big races. I have a problem that you are telling other racers to do. I imagine most of them who only race at local events and you are telling them to charge at crazy amperages and waste thier cells in a hurry. I know at big events you do what you have to do to win but 95% of the people here are not in the top 5% of the hobby. These guys want to keep thier cells for 6 -12 months maybe even more. Doing what you say is not going to achieve that.

Back to the point of the thread. If you look at the attached pic you will see the results from a test run I did which is posted on my website. The results are from a test run comparing multi phasic charging and linear charging with four cycles of each method. The cycles were all done on the same set of cells over a period of four days. Run time, voltage and punch (power %age) are all improved with Multi Phasic charging.
Attached Thumbnails Pros & Cons of Step Charging-mpcm-linear.jpg  
Old 05-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Sleighty
my god shut up talking like some type of big shot gangster. No-one here cares about 'how you do it in cali' Shut up and talk about step charging, if you havent got anything else to say on the matter then fine. If thats how you charge your cells, fine i havent got a problem with that but stop bitching about how good you do and how bad everyone else does, as there are a few guys on here who could easily kick your arse no doubt.

When you win a world championship come back and preach about how good you are!

thanks
the .03amp rate is to purge the gas build up in the cell....that how we do it ....you guys are so bitchy ..come on folks we race toy cars for bowling trophys....give me a break ..you guys are the fastest KEYBOARD racers on the planet...im better than you UK
Old 05-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by adamkerrnz
lickrim, your obviously very egocentric. hope you know what that means. Your sponsors must be brain blank if they already know what you do to your cells. and i think its how YOU do it in YOUR LITTLE WORLD. the rest of cali is probably against your stupid methods.

dude, try to keep on subject.

GO SURFING that how we do it in cali....thanks for everything

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.