Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
IRS pincushion help..... >

IRS pincushion help.....

IRS pincushion help.....

Old 05-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.
Default IRS pincushion help.....

Does any one know how to get the pin out of the dogbone from the TC3/4 so that I can install the pincushions from IRS?
The method the directions describe doesnt work for crap, and im kinda pissed cause I think I just wasted 5 bucks when I shouldve just purchased the whole dogbone assembly with the pincushions pre-installed.
Any help is appreciated, and no method will go untested.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Niftech sells a little square block of metal with the right size hole for the pin to be tapped or hammered into......but to tell ya the truth, it dosn't work any better than taking a spare block of metal or in my case an old big hard plastic screwdriver handle and drilling a hole (slightly larger than the size of the stock CVD pin) all the way through the handle.....put any oil that you have laying around the house on both sides of the pin in the cvd.....then lay the CVD that you wish to remove the pin out of, flat on the screwdriver handle with the pin in the hole (make sure the head of the CVD is supported even)and start to hammer it into the screw driver handle.....sometimes they come right out(the composite CVD's are easiest the aluminum's a little tougher) and sometimes you have to flip it over a few times hammering from both directions to loosen it up.....once one of the sides has the pin as far as you can hammer, put a set of vice gripps on really tight and twist it out.....you can also use a punch but you run a greater risk of messing up the inner hole.........fun huh
Old 05-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Pin Removal

I take a plastic wheel hex place it on one side take a big pair of pliers and squeeze. One end on the wheel hex the other end on the pin, hole it the wheel hex over the pin. Once you have it pushed out most of the way take the pliers and grab it and with a slight twist and pull it will come right out.

Later,
Old 05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Then...when you get the IRS pin cushions installed.......CA the very tips of both sides so they're less likely to work themselves out.......you can also glue the whole pin in if your very quick centering it.....doing this still allows them to be removed later to put new ones..........hope this all helps
Old 05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

boy I wish mine came right out like that
Old 05-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.

thanks guys i had to use the vice gripps, it was a pain but i got it. is there much of a problem with them backing out or slipping off to one side?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I found the EASIEST way to take out the original tc3 pins is with a drill press. chuck one side of the pin in the press and hold onto the cvd bone and turn on the press. it will come out super easy... just spins it out and doesn't damage the cvd at all.

I haven't tried it but a good hand drill would probably work as well...
Old 05-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Yea if you don't glue them like I mentioned above, they slide out or change positions quite often.....especially in mod