R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Help! Introduce me to Onroad Racing guys..

Hey guys been in the RC world for a while but mainly in off-road vehicles..I had a few cheap onroad in the past but it faded out..Well the onroad scene, indoor and outdoor has picked up dramaticly in my area...there are also tracks within driving distance of me I can race on... Where I am we race 10.5 and 17.5 I believe. We race at JMW motorsports in Richmond Va

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/JM...345684?fref=ts

Me and a few MT guys are looking join sum of our other friends in the onroad series this summer and Ive been researching Touring cars for a few weeks now.. I see guys running Xrays, Serpents, TC6, Hot bodies and a few others..Ive looked a a few cheaper models that could possible be upgraded and built to compete and Ive looked at the top of the line brands..

2 of the inexpensive cars we looked at were the Assciated Apex V-type and Tamiya TT-01

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../ascd0112.html
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBKLR&P=7

Figured either of those would be a good start...Also looked at the TC6 and Xray...I would love all of you onroad guys to chime in with any advice, tips, direction, suggestions on things to get or to look out for or to stay away from...thanks in advance guys

also please keep it civil..I know Im a newbie in this area so if I ask a dumb question I apologize..
Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Tech Adept

I would strongly suggest running what others at the track already run. You'll be asking lots of questions and it is always easier to get advice from the driver of the same type of car. I have had really good experience with the TC6(.1) and it would make a great economical starting point.
cgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I would not recommend either of the two cars you've highlighted. They may be fine for general parking lot bashing, but not much else. The Tamiya TT-01 (there are several versions) is likely the best selling 4wd sedan chassis ever, but it's still a basher and not a racer.

If you are on a limited budget, and you have a radio, motor and ESC already from an off-road vehicle, then I recommend you have a look at the Spec-R S1 sport sedan. These are available online for less than $105 excluding shipping. This chassis is an excellent carpet or asphalt racer and don't be swayed by the fiberglass chassis versus graphite. Best bang for the $ right now.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Tech Addict

They guys at the track race various types of cars from Xrays to TC6s... From a builders stand point I like to build and upgrade and turn something into a competing vehicle...Ive built my MTs and make them competitive, Im racing my Solid axle MTs (Clod buster) againts the Emaxxs and Revos and I have made my truck so competitive I can beat those guys..I like the TC6 and I found kits for around $400, I will need to get a motor/ESC and servo, I have a Spektrum radio I will hook it too..

So for the sake of conversation, Can either of those cars be upgraded to a formatable racer? Would the TC upgrades fit on the Associated car? what kind of upgrade/aftermarket parts are out there for the TT-01?

Im comparing prices of a top of the line chassis fully built vs upgrading something like I listed above.. I like the looks of the SPec-R S1, ill look into that more
Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Tech Champion

My understanding of the Apex chassis is that it's some Asian made chassis not previously made or sold by Associated. I doubt very much that you'll be able to locate spare parts let alone top class upgrades.

There is an almost endless amount of 'upgrades' and after market parts for the Tamiya TT-01, but in the end the chassis remains a basher or drifter at best and cannot compete against the top double deck sedans like Associated's own TC6.1 Worlds.

The Spec-R S1 can be fully upgraded as your budget permits, or you can simply buy their R1 version with all red alloy and graphite chassis components.

There are many top-end 4wd sedans available and some new ones on the way such as the Schumacher M15 and the Durango DETC410. These two look very promising, but come with a hefty price tag.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The Apex is fairly new but because it is essentially an updated Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk there are some hard to find upgrades around. There are tons of aluminum upgrades around for the TT01. However, even if you fitted either of these cars with every upgrade option available, you would still wind up with a very expensive toy car that would not be nearly as competitive as something like a box stock Spec-R S1 or maybe a Sakura Zero S that you could purchase for way less. There are too many limitations in the gear train and steering of those cars you mentioned in the OP. Sakura has also announced a new sport model based on their latest car, the XI that should be a winner as well. Parts support for these depends on where you are, but can be found easily online. Also, I believe parts from other similar cars are transferable.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
The Spec-R S1 can be fully upgraded as your budget permits, or you can simply buy their R1 version with all red alloy and graphite chassis components.

There are many top-end 4wd sedans available and some new ones on the way such as the Schumacher M15 and the Durango DETC410. These two look very promising, but come with a hefty price tag.
Thanks for the info...I hadnt heard of the Spec-R S1 so I can leave the other 2 alone and look at this one..The price is really good on both versions..

Now with my MTs Ive been running sensorless systems but I know most everybody in course racing runs sensored..What are sum good sensored setups to go for..a friend that races in a few classes says he uses a 13.5 in teh 10.5 class and can still beat the 10.5s...What are the basic requirements/restrictions in onroad racing? Im not familiar with the different classes and rules
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Associated teamed up with Thunder Tiger several years ago and now make all of Associated's RTR kits.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

Look around the For Sale forum and pick up a used competition grade TC, preferably one that is most prevalent at the tracks you will frequent. That way, you can get setup advice, and you don't have to spend a small fortune upgrading a car that won't get you where you need to be. And the initial outlay will be less than buying a new car plus upgrades. Then, spend the difference on tires and track time. You'll be ahead in the long run.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclod27 View Post
What are sum good sensored setups to go for..a friend that races in a few classes says he uses a 13.5 in teh 10.5 class and can still beat the 10.5s...What are the basic requirements/restrictions in onroad racing? Im not familiar with the different classes and rules
Clubs tend to set their own classes so it's hard to be specific. My club runs a GT1 class for 17.5 motors and boosted speed controls, as well as a GT2 class for 17.5 motors on blinky speed controls. We also run a Vintage Trans-Am class with 21.5 motors again with blinky speed controls.

I run GT2 and VTA and my speed control of choice right now is the Hobbywing Justock. It is easy to setup, had nice solder posts, comes with a fan and is inexpensive at around the $60 price point.

There is a huge selection of great motors out there and I run an LRP X12 17.5 in my GT2 sedan and a Hobbyking 21.5 in my VTA. The LRP is a bit pricey around $90 while the Hobbyking motor sells for $30. Both are rock solid performers for me.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Associated teamed up with Thunder Tiger several years ago and now make all of Associated's RTR kits.
Wow didnt know that..I had a thunder tiger sparrowhawk XXT and it was hard finding parts

I did think about checking out the BST sections for used cars, but I kinda want to build a kit...Ive come to like building kits now
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ip-sereis.html

Not sure how far this is from where you are located but, some of the top on road touring car drivers from the northeast will be taking part in the first round on May 18 at Debbies RC World in Chesapeake, Va.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee32 View Post
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ip-sereis.html

Not sure how far this is from where you are located but, some of the top on road touring car drivers from the northeast will be taking part in the first round on May 18 at Debbies RC World in Chesapeake, Va.
Yea I have heard of Debbies RC...thats not too far away, Ill have to check that out

Quote:
Clubs tend to set their own classes so it's hard to be specific. My club runs a GT1 class for 17.5 motors and boosted speed controls, as well as a GT2 class for 17.5 motors on blinky speed controls. We also run a Vintage Trans-Am class with 21.5 motors again with blinky speed controls.

I run GT2 and VTA and my speed control of choice right now is the Hobbywing Justock. It is easy to setup, had nice solder posts, comes with a fan and is inexpensive at around the $60 price point.

There is a huge selection of great motors out there and I run an LRP X12 17.5 in my GT2 sedan and a Hobbyking 21.5 in my VTA. The LRP is a bit pricey around $90 while the Hobbyking motor sells for $30. Both are rock solid performers for me.
I will check with my local class to see wat we run, but the GT1 and 2 sound like wat they run...Ive heard LRP and Tekin motors are really good..Ill have to look into the ESCs sum more, I thought about trying an MMP in sensored mode
Old 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Tech Addict

So Im going to focus on these 2...so far anyway lol, The Spec-R S1 Sports Edition and the Sakura Zero S

http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=447

http://os.3racing.hk/carkits_web.php?carkits_web_key=3

Both of these are in a good "entry" price range for me and still allow me to pick out my own electronics.. I know alot of racing boils down to driver skill, finding a good line and overall setup...So Im just trying to gather as much info as I can....any input is appreciated
Old 05-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looks like you're headed in the right direction. Either of those will be upgradeable to the level that is competitive. We have a few guys racing the Sakura with great results. Read the thread in here and they list the necessary upgrades to be track ready. The list is shorter than you think.
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote