R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclod27 View Post
Cool..wat kinda run times do you get with that battery combo?
I use my car for racing only and we typically have 5-6 minute qualifiers and mains. I use about 1500mAh to 1800mAh each time. I imagine that you might get 10 minutes before the ESC lipo cut-off kicks in if you're easy on the throttle.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcManny View Post
ya, I think that's what SteveM is saying....
Yea I actually worded that all wrong lol...I was meaning to ask, is 25C wat most people are running and is it ok to go with a higher "C" rating.... sorry about that
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #33
Tech Addict

I think we are running 5 or 10 min mains too, I wont be doing anything super serious right now, but I have tons of tracks nearby I can go race at... The guys that race around here are a lil laid back, but competitive..

So after talking to my friends we decided to go with the Spec-R for the teams car...they all seem to like that better and Ive heard a few people say the Zero S needs a few upgrades to be good to run, although it does look like a great car...might grab it later down the road for a second car if I really like the onroad racing..

Going to start looking at BL systems and tires...what is the most common "base" all around tire to get for multiple surfaces? (if there is such a thing lol)...the track we race on at RVA Hobbies is a newly paved parking lot...we also race at Southside Speedway on the 1:1 track...
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Yea I actually worded that all wrong lol...I was meaning to ask, is 25C wat most people are running and is it ok to go with a higher "C" rating.... sorry about that
Go with a higher c rating if possible. I run the thunder power 65c and I have run the Orion 90c and like them both. the lower c ratings start off good but can begin to fade near the end of a race. a larger c rating is more consistent so your last laps are as fast as the first.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
I think we are running 5 or 10 min mains too, I wont be doing anything super serious right now, but I have tons of tracks nearby I can go race at... The guys that race around here are a lil laid back, but competitive..

So after talking to my friends we decided to go with the Spec-R for the teams car...they all seem to like that better and Ive heard a few people say the Zero S needs a few upgrades to be good to run, although it does look like a great car...might grab it later down the road for a second car if I really like the onroad racing..

Going to start looking at BL systems and tires...what is the most common "base" all around tire to get for multiple surfaces? (if there is such a thing lol)...the track we race on at RVA Hobbies is a newly paved parking lot...we also race at Southside Speedway on the 1:1 track...
Sweep 32 or jaco blue would be a good starting point. check with the track though. many classes have a spec tire. if they don't then the local racers have probably done all of the testing to find out what tire works best for that track.

For brushless systems look at the viper speed controls. My vtx10r shaved 2 tenths off of my lap times over anything Novak offers. I haven't tried any others but a lot of guys at our track like the new lrp speed controls. For motors I like the reedy sonic or the d3.5 but the d3.5 has run into approval issues.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The Spec R is a good choice, it's a proven design and will be competitive even with the fiberglass chassis and plastic bulkheads.

For a speed control and motor I wouldn't skimp or you'll be slow. In onroad there's a world of difference between having a cheap motor and something good, even the fastest guys will struggle with a slow motor.

I really recommend the Hobby Wing v2.1 esc, it' $100 and amazing. Love it. The motor is really up to you, I know the Team Powers 17.5 and Revtech 17.5 are both very fast. Just look around a pick something that other guys are running so you can get some help from them.

Many tracks have a spec tire such as the Solaris tires, but if not then again, ask around and see what the fast guys are running.

Also for the body I recommend the Mazda Speed 6 for starting out. It's very stable and easy to drive with. Once you're going you might want to try the LTCR which will make the car a bit more aggressive.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post
The Spec R is a good choice, it's a proven design and will be competitive even with the fiberglass chassis and plastic bulkheads.

For a speed control and motor I wouldn't skimp or you'll be slow. In onroad there's a world of difference between having a cheap motor and something good, even the fastest guys will struggle with a slow motor.

I really recommend the Hobby Wing v2.1 esc, it' $100 and amazing. Love it. The motor is really up to you, I know the Team Powers 17.5 and Revtech 17.5 are both very fast. Just look around a pick something that other guys are running so you can get some help from them.

Many tracks have a spec tire such as the Solaris tires, but if not then again, ask around and see what the fast guys are running.

Also for the body I recommend the Mazda Speed 6 for starting out. It's very stable and easy to drive with. Once you're going you might want to try the LTCR which will make the car a bit more aggressive.
+1 on the above recommendations. For motors, I prefer the types that have externally adjustable timing. Types that are not as easy to change timing are Speed Passion and LRP which require optional parts to change timing.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post

Thats alot of good info thanks!...thanks to everyone that replied.

We did decide on the Spec-R as a team, after we come back from Diggers Dungeon MT world finals we will pick up our kits and start working...Going to grab a few more 2s lipos in the meantime and look at those BL systems.