R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I have a xray t4 and as a new racer looking for a top of the line TC I'd recommend it to you and or any seasoned veteran.. If you're not looking for a top of the line TC the closest thing IMHO would be the new TC from CSO, it looks to be identical to the T4 but a different color at 1/2 the price.. It probably would react the same way with setups as the xray, only bad thing is if I'm not mistaking its not available in the USA but I'm sure you can order it since there's a thread for it on rctech
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,292
Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default

I own two Spec-R S1 sedans and they are as competitive as anything out there today. The guys in my club can attest to that. The nice thing with the S1 is it includes the front spool, has CVD's all around, has threaded shocks and the motor mount has three mounting holes so you do not have to go through the spur gear to attach the motor or make gearing changes. These are at RCMart for $103.90

The Zero S is discontinued and soon to be replaced by a sport X! chassis. The Zero S needs upgrades and mods just to be at the same starting point as the S1 and although it is a good car, just not as good as the S1.

Here is a pic of my GT2 chassis and one of my VTA ride. The VTA chassis is box stock but my GT2 has been upgraded with the center motor mount and sway bars (not shown in the picture).

Last edited by SteveM; 12-24-2015 at 08:58 AM.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee32 View Post
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ip-sereis.html

Not sure how far this is from where you are located but, some of the top on road touring car drivers from the northeast will be taking part in the first round on May 18 at Debbies RC World in Chesapeake, Va.
Hey Eric,
Are you going to this race? I know for sure you'll be at the second race since its at Jackson, so will I. Most likely ill go to the 3rd race since its at MRH and I'm looking for a change of scenery, I'll take my girl and go to the inner harbor for something to eat and maybe stay the night, it's a nice place during the summer and the crab places are pretty cool.
PM me maybe we'll shoot out there together somehow
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
Tech Elite
 
spunkysandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 2,672
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

The spec R S1 is a decent kit. I picked one up and I'm still working on a good setup for it. I've only been able to run it once at a high bite indoor track.
__________________
Tekno RC - VBC Racing D06 - Axial Rubicon and Wraith - SC10.2 - Hitec - Speed Passion - Werks - lrhhobbies.com
spunkysandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Tech Addict
 
Kingclod27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Im really leaning toward the Spec-R, but I wanted at least 2 for comparison...Me and 2 other guys will be getting them and running as a team so it will be good to run the same car so we can share replacement parts and can work on each others cars..

I will hvae to look at the TC from CSO as well...Im sure picking out electronics will be the easier part...I want to get it and start working on my driver skills... I can go up to a few tracks and just test and tune..I will have to see what guys are running as far as tires too...Im always changing shock setups too lol...I really like the stock shocks on both but wouldnt mind trying something different too....all the info is very helpful guys..keep it coming!
__________________
SPEED.....I AM SPEED
Kingclod27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,292
Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclod27 View Post
Im really leaning toward the Spec-R, but I wanted at least 2 for comparison...Me and 2 other guys will be getting them and running as a team so it will be good to run the same car so we can share replacement parts and can work on each others cars..

I will hvae to look at the TC from CSO as well...Im sure picking out electronics will be the easier part...I want to get it and start working on my driver skills... I can go up to a few tracks and just test and tune..I will have to see what guys are running as far as tires too...Im always changing shock setups too lol...I really like the stock shocks on both but wouldnt mind trying something different too....all the info is very helpful guys..keep it coming!
For the price of say a new Xray T4 or the new Schumacher Mi5, you can buy 4 Spec-R S1 kits and have money left over! Drive 'em like you stole 'em. Which at $105 each is pretty darn close to being true.

Last edited by SteveM; 05-08-2013 at 04:34 PM.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclod27 View Post
So Im going to focus on these 2...so far anyway lol, The Spec-R S1 Sports Edition and the Sakura Zero S

http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=447

http://os.3racing.hk/carkits_web.php?carkits_web_key=3

Both of these are in a good "entry" price range for me and still allow me to pick out my own electronics.. I know alot of racing boils down to driver skill, finding a good line and overall setup...So Im just trying to gather as much info as I can....any input is appreciated
They are with out a doubt, the best bang for the buck out there. I went with the Spec-R, for me the reason was simple, it comes with a spool up front and gear diff in the rear, which is how i like to have my car setup. The Sakura has ball diffs front and rear and i would have had to change these things out to have the car how i wanted.

Both cars are great, both cars are very friendly on the wallet and the pewrfect platform for anyone wanting to get into TC or for anyone who needs to race on a tight budget.

Here are some links to the other things you will need.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1870KV.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nsorless_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_46_5g.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html

All that is left is a protoblob body and some paint and you are ready to race at a club level anywhere in 17.5T
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #23
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
The spec R S1 is a decent kit. I picked one up and I'm still working on a good setup for it. I've only been able to run it once at a high bite indoor track.
I run on a low grip outdoor asphalt track, 10.5T on foams. The box stock setup was really close for me, 3Deg of front toe out, 3Deg of front camber and the car drives really nice.

The one thing i found is to make sure you really free up the drive train and suspension, if you are an on/off driver a bit like me, a tight drive train will act a lot like a drag brake, so when you are off throttle the car becomes rather unsettled as the weight is suddenly thrown forward.

I was having this problem myself, thinking it was setup when it was actually driving style and a tight car. Gave the car to a quality driver who turnedd a couple of laps and he said they car felt really comfortable, he then watch me drive and then saw what was going on.

Don't be afraid to get someone to drive the car to see if it is you or the car.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #24
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
They are with out a doubt, the best bang for the buck out there. I went with the Spec-R, for me the reason was simple, it comes with a spool up front and gear diff in the rear, which is how i like to have my car setup. The Sakura has ball diffs front and rear and i would have had to change these things out to have the car how i wanted.

Both cars are great, both cars are very friendly on the wallet and the pewrfect platform for anyone wanting to get into TC or for anyone who needs to race on a tight budget.

Here are some links to the other things you will need.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1870KV.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nsorless_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_46_5g.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html

All that is left is a protoblob body and some paint and you are ready to race at a club level anywhere in 17.5T
The sakura has gear diffs front and rear. not ball diffs although one is available if you want. I put one in my xi and like it a lot more than any gear diff I have used including the spec r gear diff. But I have gotten to the point where changing diff oil and fighting leaking just isn't any fun.

The sakura is a great car. I own two s models and an xi. can't go wrong with this car. haven't run a spec r car and no one at our track has one so I can't compare.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
Tech Addict
 
Kingclod27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
For the price of say a new Xray T4 or the new Schumacher Mi5, you can buy 4 Spec-R S1 kits and have money left over! Drive 'em like you stole 'em. Which at $105 each is pretty darn close to being true.
LOL...thats wat I noticed too..I wanted to get a chassis that wasnt an arm and a leg to start but was still competitive or could be upgraded and made competitive. So Im talking to the guys about which model they like best...right now it is the Spec R, but a friend said he can get the Sakura for wholesale cost so ill check into that first...

My next question is about batteries....In my MTs I run no less than a 50C 5000mah 2s lipo. What "C" rating should I be looking for in a battery for Touring cars? and what "mah" should I go for?

Thanks for all the info guys keep it coming!
__________________
SPEED.....I AM SPEED
Kingclod27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #26
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,292
Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclod27 View Post
LOL...thats wat I noticed too..I wanted to get a chassis that wasnt an arm and a leg to start but was still competitive or could be upgraded and made competitive. So Im talking to the guys about which model they like best...right now it is the Spec R, but a friend said he can get the Sakura for wholesale cost so ill check into that first...

My next question is about batteries....In my MTs I run no less than a 50C 5000mah 2s lipo. What "C" rating should I be looking for in a battery for Touring cars? and what "mah" should I go for?

Thanks for all the info guys keep it coming!
I've owned and run the Sakura Zero S as well and it's a nice car, but it needs too many updates and modifications to be on par with the S1 right out of the box. The stock motor mounts sucks and the shocks that use clips is a PITA.

For battery packs, I'm running Hobbyking 4000mAh 25C 2S hard case lipos and for club racing they have been great. They sell for less than $14 each and include the balance charge lead. Some will argue that you need the latest 90C packs, but I don't buy into that thinking. I bought 4 packs for less than one Venom 5000 2S 50C pack and haven't regretted it once.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #27
Tech Addict
 
Kingclod27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Ok cool... so I still need a 4000mah-5000mah battery...I know the "C" rating is for the burst (juice) the battery delievers, so for the Touring Cars, is 25C ok to run?
__________________
SPEED.....I AM SPEED
Kingclod27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

ya, I think that's what SteveM is saying....
rcManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,292
Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclod27 View Post
Ok cool... so I still need a 4000mah-5000mah battery...I know the "C" rating is for the burst (juice) the battery delievers, so for the Touring Cars, is 25C ok to run?
I'm doing fine with the packs I previously mentioned.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
Tech Addict
 
Kingclod27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Cool..wat kinda run times do you get with that battery combo?
__________________
SPEED.....I AM SPEED
Kingclod27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:13 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net