R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #31
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
Guys the conversation has moved into another direction, were looking for suggestions for nut drivers now. Ive settled on MIP tools for the HEX's.
Buy whatever, the amount of torque you will put on them is so low, quality is of no real concern, I have Turnigy $3 socket drivers and EDS $20 socket drivers and they are as good as each other. It is not like a real car where you need to buy quality like Sidchrome or Kingchrome, RC has no real load on the nuts and you will never strip a nut even with a cheap $3 driver.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #32
Tech Regular

There are a lot of good quality tools out there and many of you have made very good suggestions.

ProTek does make a complete set of metric and standard hexes, ball drivers, nut drivers, and nearly very other imaginable tool needed. All your tools would match. Prices are on the low side and quality is as good as they come.
ProTek R/C
SWORKz USA
mkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Well, as good as they come would be MIP.. No other company that I know of grinds their tips from drill bit blanks. Regarding nut drivers, I doubt ill ever crank hard enough to break it so im just looking for something that looks nice and feels good in the hand.
M3Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

In that case , for socket drivers I like the limited edition Hudy handles. They bling and feel nice with the diamond serration giving you a positive grip.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

eds is what I use. man ive had them for years. I think the biggest thing to look for is the hardened tips
buffalobill989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Taps and reamers are another item to have in your toolbox.
mackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Timbo99 Send a message via AIM to Timbo99 Send a message via MSN to Timbo99 Send a message via Skype™ to Timbo99
Default Hudy

I've used,abused Hudy for years,and Schumacher.i love my Hudy setup station,Q U A L I T Y .
Serpent ERYX/S411 Le#189,#024,TE/Airtronics/MuchMore FLETA 4/Ryan Dezign-
"The finest RC paintwork in Australia"/LEESPEED/Ame T-Shox/THiNK Carbon.
"If at first you don't succeed,.....tell'em it's the "Beta" 1.0 version"
Timbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
Has anyone used Racers Edge tools before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Buy a full set of Turnigy drivers from hobbyking for under $3 each, take the tips out of the hex drivers and replace them with tips from EDS or some other brand for $8 each and win. The only important tools in you bag are the 1.2, 2, 2,5 and 3mm hex drivers, and then it is only the tips that matter. Any old alloy handle can be shoved on there. The socket drivers you do not need expensive here, turnbuckle wrenches you don't need expensive there either.

Anyone ever use the nut drivers from either racers edge or turnigy? They look decent for the price.
M3Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to B44USTA

best place to buy a complete set of tools in Australia?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Nut drivers don't have anywhere near the same technical quality type requirements as hex drivers. A wheel nut versus a chassis screw packed with concrete like dirt is the obvious example. I use cheapo dynomite ones. the handles suit me.
BTW MIP makes wrenches for other people like Losi so if you want a different handle you should have some options, that also means you can get just the mip quality tips under another name. Although the handle is the other big reason I love my MIP tools. Info about who else they make is on their website somewhere or I'm sure they would tell you with a simple inquiry.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
Tech Initiate

Hello,
I use Hudy and EDS tools for metric, Team Asso for US.
Xray T4-2014 - Hobbywing V3.1 - LRP X20 spec 10.5 - Turnigy ultimate
Xray X12-2014 - Reedy Mach2 6.0
christophed83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I use cheapo dynamite nut drivers. I basically only use a 7mm nut driver for my Xrays so I bought one for $3 and have been using it for over a year now.

You really don't have to be afraid of stripping a wheel hex nut at all.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to B44USTA
Thumbs up

Thanks guys, so much choice out there
Old Chinese proverb cheap thing no good, good thing no cheap
Decided to maybe go with these & invest in an electric driver.
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...tCode=OFN10824

Cheers
Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Metric-Set-Red

I have owned so many sets of tools over the years. These low cost Dynamite tools have outlasted and out performed them all !! Not sure what they did but the tips are the perfect hardness to last a really really long time without rounding and not have a tenancy to chip or break off to easily from being too hard. This was the first "real" hex driver set I ever bought in RC. I got them at my LHS because they were reasonably priced and Ive had them for years now. Since then, I have bought a few different sets of "high end" tools that cost alot more than these and none of them have been as durable. I have a full set of Hudy tools and full set of Protek tools on my workbench and I still reach for these as my go too set. The tips last, the handle has great grip for getting those stubborn screws broken loose, and they have a nice flat on them to keep them from rolling off the bench!! And the handles have a little weight to them so they feel like a real tool in your hand. The only way they could be improved is if the shafts were just a little bit longer for getting into some of the hard to reach spots. Still, if I had only one set of hex tools these would be the ones!!! Highly recommended.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Metric-Set-Red

I have owned so many sets of tools over the years. These low cost Dynamite tools have outlasted and out performed them all !! Not sure what they did but the tips are the perfect hardness to last a really really long time without rounding and not have a tenancy to chip or break off to easily from being too hard. This was the first "real" hex driver set I ever bought in RC. I got them at my LHS because they were reasonably priced and Ive had them for years now. Since then, I have bought a few different sets of "high end" tools that cost alot more than these and none of them have been as durable. I have a full set of Hudy tools and full set of Protek tools on my workbench and I still reach for these as my go too set. The tips last, the handle has great grip for getting those stubborn screws broken loose, and they have a nice flat on them to keep them from rolling off the bench!! And the handles have a little weight to them so they feel like a real tool in your hand. The only way they could be improved is if the shafts were just a little bit longer for getting into some of the hard to reach spots. Still, if I had only one set of hex tools these would be the ones!!! Highly recommended.
Aren't these made by MIP? I know MIP made the Losi tools.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote