Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
3 Racing Sakura XI Sport >

3 Racing Sakura XI Sport

Like Tree299Likes

3 Racing Sakura XI Sport

Reply

Old 05-06-2019, 08:50 AM
  #2116  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Scionara05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queens nyc
Posts: 953
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

As far as setup is concerned I played with shims in front from 1mm to 0mm on the front caster and white front springs and red rear springs from tamiya. Still fighting the hp game cause with the now xfactor at 98x47 I was getting pulled but not by much from a tsr motor and r1 motors.
Scionara05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM
  #2117  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Scionara05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queens nyc
Posts: 953
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
98482=4.08 ... not quite 4.2 but close
where did u gear the xfactor 25.5 in your car. Your spur gear looks small on a pic u posted on the trinity thread
Scionara05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 AM
  #2118  
Tech Master
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 1,228
Default

Originally Posted by Scionara05 View Post
where did u gear the xfactor 25.5 in your car. Your spur gear looks small on a pic u posted on the trinity thread
I usually run a 88t 64p spur for VTA ... current setup is 88/56 3.14fdr at 35* timing which I run on most asphalt tracks and monday nights at quaker ... for carpet i usually run a 90 spur and gear 3.5-3.9fdr with more timing.
moparSRT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM
  #2119  
Tech Master
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 1,228
Default

Had our last Florida State Series asphalt race of the 18-19 season, ran some usgt at The Fort ... home of the Winternats, beautiful track without any straights (bean shaped track) ... everything has a curve to it, takes a while to figure it out
Traction was unbelievable, rear traction was not a problem here as long as you stayed in the grove, got 3 rounds of qualifying in before mother nature ruined the show ... yep it rains in florida, sometimes
Despite the metal barriers and some hard hits nothing broken, had to visit the set-up board several times







Marcos.J, RLS and Waltrip55 like this.
moparSRT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:09 PM
  #2120  
Tech Apprentice
 
Totallyosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
how long are your shocks eye to eye fully extended ? Should be 55mm
Just checked, 55mm.
Totallyosho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:20 PM
  #2121  
Tech Apprentice
 
Totallyosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
It looks like you have at least 3 to 5mm of shock adjustment there....whats your ride height when you have the adjustment colars all the way up. Remember that your droop screws will effect ride height as well, so best to back them off as well, the set your ride height, then set the droop.
With the stock shock towers, the collars completely up (meaning the springs float), 5mm when the car is fully loaded except body. With the collar barely touching the spring at stock droop, 9mm. The only way to lower it further is by using the droop screws, not so good.
With the NU towers, the car touches the ground with this setup, and is around 3mm off the ground when unloaded. As it is setup now, I get 4.5 - 5.5mm clearance and 2mm droop, which is perfect as far as I'm concerned, except it requires the NU towers.

How come we've never heard back from all the other people with the same issue earlier in this thread by the way? Did everyone just get other springs?
Totallyosho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:55 AM
  #2122  
Tech Master
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 1,228
Default

Originally Posted by Totallyosho View Post
With the stock shock towers, the collars completely up (meaning the springs float), 5mm when the car is fully loaded except body. With the collar barely touching the spring at stock droop, 9mm. The only way to lower it further is by using the droop screws, not so good.
With the NU towers, the car touches the ground with this setup, and is around 3mm off the ground when unloaded. As it is setup now, I get 4.5 - 5.5mm clearance and 2mm droop, which is perfect as far as I'm concerned, except it requires the NU towers.

How come we've never heard back from all the other people with the same issue earlier in this thread by the way? Did everyone just get other springs?
So with the collars all the way up your car sits at 5mm ride height and not 9mm as you previously claimed. So where is the problem ??

You set droop after setting ride height and not before, you set ride height with the spring collars ... not with droop screws.

No, you don't set up your shocks so the collar is touching the spring when the shock is fully extended, you adjust the collar to set ride height then adjust the droop.

Yes NU shock towers will give you more adjustment, that's why they were revised for the latest XI kit, but as you clearly see u have no problem getting down to 5mm ride height on the older XI.
moparSRT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:55 AM
  #2123  
Tech Apprentice
 
Totallyosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
So with the collars all the way up your car sits at 5mm ride height and not 9mm as you previously claimed. So where is the problem ??
"moparSRT
A properly built XI with the shock collars all the way up will have 3mm ride height front and 4mm ride height rear, and this is for a roller with no electronics ... add the electronics and battery and ur chassis will be on the ground."

That's quite different isn't it? A bare minimum of 5mm vs touching.

You set droop after setting ride height and not before, you set ride height with the spring collars ... not with droop screws.
That's what I said, yes.

No, you don't set up your shocks so the collar is touching the spring when the shock is fully extended
I didn't do that at full extension, I did it with the car sitting on the ground, battery etc inside. If the spring imposes a 25mm lenght to the compression (so the bare minimum to have it captive), bam, 9mm ride height.
As you said yourself, the spring should not have to be loose to reach 5mm: "moparSRT With ride height and droop properly set the springs will never be loose ...", but here we are.
Totallyosho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM
  #2124  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,540
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Totallyosho View Post
"moparSRT
A properly built XI with the shock collars all the way up will have 3mm ride height front and 4mm ride height rear, and this is for a roller with no electronics ... add the electronics and battery and ur chassis will be on the ground."

That's quite different isn't it? A bare minimum of 5mm vs touching.


That's what I said, yes.


I didn't do that at full extension, I did it with the car sitting on the ground, battery etc inside. If the spring imposes a 25mm lenght to the compression (so the bare minimum to have it captive), bam, 9mm ride height.
As you said yourself, the spring should not have to be loose to reach 5mm: "moparSRT With ride height and droop properly set the springs will never be loose ...", but here we are.
As long as ride height and droop are set in the correct order and set to what you want it at, the gap of the top of the spring to the adjustment collar has no bearing on the the chassis settings. The only person I've ever seen look at that gap was Paul Lemiux, and he only used it as a reference comparison to see if his droop settings where similar from side to side, BUT this was just for quick reference and final droop was still set using the normal procedure. this would only show up if you are running large amounts of droop as well..........but like I said not usually used.
moparSRT likes this.
Johnny Wishbone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:07 AM
  #2125  
Tech Master
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 1,228
Default

Originally Posted by Totallyosho View Post
"moparSRT
A properly built XI with the shock collars all the way up will have 3mm ride height front and 4mm ride height rear, and this is for a roller with no electronics ... add the electronics and battery and ur chassis will be on the ground."

That's quite different isn't it? A bare minimum of 5mm vs touching.
Yes the current XI will sit at 3/4mm ride height, but yours is not the current one, its the older XI which sits at 5.5mm ... so no difference here. Also different tires will change ride height
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
My new built xi sits at 5.5mm ride height without any electronics installed with the stock springs and the shock collars all the way up, 4mm droop. 3rd hole in on top and outside hole on the arm.




Originally Posted by Totallyosho View Post
I didn't do that at full extension, I did it with the car sitting on the ground, battery etc inside. If the spring imposes a 25mm lenght to the compression (so the bare minimum to have it captive), bam, 9mm ride height.
As you said yourself, the spring should not have to be loose to reach 5mm: "moparSRT With ride height and droop properly set the springs will never be loose ...", but here we are.
So why are you adjusting the collar down if your car already sits at 5mm ... you do understand that's why you are getting 9mm ride hieght and if you continue turning it more im sure you will go past 10mm ... but why when you want to be around 5mm

The spring will never feel loose with the weight of the car on it ...

I'm starting to feel like we are beating a dead horse here, you said it yourself that with the collars all the way up you are at 5mm ... the only reason you are at 9mm is because you set it there.
Scionara05 and LzREngineering like this.
moparSRT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:01 AM
  #2126  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Had our last Florida State Series asphalt race of the 18-19 season, ran some usgt at The Fort ... home of the Winternats, beautiful track without any straights (bean shaped track) ... everything has a curve to it, takes a while to figure it out
Traction was unbelievable, rear traction was not a problem here as long as you stayed in the grove, got 3 rounds of qualifying in before mother nature ruined the show ... yep it rains in florida, sometimes
Despite the metal barriers and some hard hits nothing broken, had to visit the set-up board several times



What bulkhead covers are those?

Moreirinha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 AM
  #2127  
Tech Master
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 1,228
Default

Originally Posted by Moreirinha View Post
What bulkhead covers are those?
SAK-X12/PK Aluminum Bulkhead Cover
Moreirinha likes this.
moparSRT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM
  #2128  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: RC
Posts: 145
Default

Thinking of getting a XI Ver Nu. Which upgrades from the previous sakuras are compatible with it? Thinking of blinging it out in pink aluminium
s10096898 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 PM
  #2129  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Razathorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by s10096898 View Post
Thinking of getting a XI Ver Nu. Which upgrades from the previous sakuras are compatible with it? Thinking of blinging it out in pink aluminium
Might as well get the evo 2k18 then IMHO.
LzREngineering likes this.
Razathorn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:44 AM
  #2130  
Tech Master
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 1,228
Default

Originally Posted by s10096898 View Post
Thinking of getting a XI Ver Nu. Which upgrades from the previous sakuras are compatible with it? Thinking of blinging it out in pink aluminium
Just about everything from the ultimate will fit except chassis, bulkheads, motor mount and outer suspension mounts ... 3racing makes these different for every model change, everything else is compatible.
The motor mount, bulkheads and ouiter suspension mounts are available for the XI in pink

Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
Might as well get the evo 2k18 then IMHO.
These are not a lot of pink bits you can add to the 2K18, the 2K18 is almost 3x the cost of a xi.
moparSRT is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service