R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #151
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It's great to see people experimenting and "stretching the envelope" using Thermo-Electric-Couplings for r/c use.
The greatest tempeture differential I have ever been able to get was aprox 130 degrees, 80 degree air temp and -53 degree cold side plate. This was using 3 high perforemance 80mm TEC's stacked, remote liquid (gylcol) pumped through a large radiator and 4-120mm high CFM fans.
Of course this was a bench test and not very pratical to transport to a race venue.
There is a racer/forum user (micros-rock) who is working on a portable liquid cooled version. (do a search)
I just got a Team Much More unit and love it! Very well made and compact.
Keep working on new ideas, that's the best way for this hobby to evolve!
Jeff -- Team Pharriswheel
TeamPhariswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:17 PM   #152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

has anyone noticed that over time there mm motor cooler doesnt cool as well?, mine used to get all frosty on me when i first got it and now it seems like it has trouble getting to 55 degrees
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #153
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys this is impressive and all but you really don't want to freeze you motor before a race. If you get it to just above 0 deg C you are perfect. If you get it colder to the point where it is frosting up you can actually freeze the arm to the magnets and stall/short out your motor, gum up the oil in the bushing/bearings, etc.

What ever you do make sure you motor will rotate before you pull the trigger. on your radio.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:56 AM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

I've been looking at these little gizmo's for a while but I've been waiting and waiting to see and hear what people think of them. Now that I've seen the size of King-G's one, I'm impressed with that, and I've felt how cool his motor gets and that's quite impressive too. Can you notice the difference on the track in performance or is the benefit in the consistency, or is it even just a case of it making your motors last longer due to less heat buildup??

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #155
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

Quote:
I've been looking at these little gizmo's for a while but I've been waiting and waiting to see and hear what people think of them. Now that I've seen the size of King-G's one, I'm impressed with that, and I've felt how cool his motor gets and that's quite impressive too. Can you notice the difference on the track in performance or is the benefit in the consistency, or is it even just a case of it making your motors last longer due to less heat buildup??
I can notice a difference speedwise for the first minute or so of the race, and you get people saying, "hey is that stock or 19 turn". As far as the motor coming off the track cooler, I can't really say because I don't jump out there with a temp gun right after my run to check it.
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #156
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

After some more testing of my Motor cooler on the weekend I am pretty pleased, after 30 mins I had Ice building up on the clamp and motor temps down to 3 degree's.

Mind you it was a pretty cold day, didnt really need to be running it
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #157
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

So the MM's Peltier plate is only a 60-70 Watt unit?

Seeing as someone had once reported it that draws 4A, so at around 12-15V it should be that much, correct?

I suppose a 150W or 320W unit would be overkill... also, a bit bigger, 40mm compared to 50mm, and needing a HUGE PSU to keep it going.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #158
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
So the MM's Peltier plate is only a 60-70 Watt unit?

Seeing as someone had once reported it that draws 4A, so at around 12-15V it should be that much, correct?

I suppose a 150W or 320W unit would be overkill... also, a bit bigger, 40mm compared to 50mm, and needing a HUGE PSU to keep it going.
The MR one is a 30mm, my 40mm is a 52watt draws 6A. So you do the math, the MR one probably is a bit less than 52watt. A 50mm w/ 150w would really be an overkill, you'll need a real big heatsink for it to work anyway, if you don't use the right heatsink, a peltier actually has a reverse effect. Like Adrian said, the plate gets before freezing is ok, but not the motor. When I put my motor in the plate to cool, no matter how long I put it in, the motor will never get before 0 still, hover just above freezing, so I think that's the perfect setup.

Dom
Old 08-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #159
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Where do you find the motor clamp? just bend one yourself, or chop up an existing heatsink?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #160
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
chop up an existing heatsink?
There is an easier way to do that.

Just go find a metal tube in whatever material you wish, cut it to your desire length, chop it in half, you'll have a clamp.

Dom
Old 12-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #161
Tech Regular

Say you have a motor in the Much more cooler. Would using some freeze spray on the motor, speed up the process any ? or hurt it. Or make the motor overall cooler ?

Reason I ask is I used my MM cooler for the first time last night on a Trinity Spec motor. the room was about 69 degrees and I left it on for about 40 minutes and the can only got to 52 degrees F.

Should it have gotten colder ?
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #162
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the motor cooler will only get as cold as the amount of air moved away from the peltier device, if you were to put a bigger fan on the unit they would get colder, because they are taking away the heat that is produced from the peltier. using cold sprays would make the motor cooler at the beginning but it would get warmer very quick dont waste your money. just put the unit on 20 min before you run
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #163
Tech Regular

if it is true that its a 52watt peltier, i think its pretty much impossible for it to go freezing conditions where we have normal days like 25degC.

some people at the track says it goes freezing, and others says it just condenses. what to beleive? i think some people exagerate some of their equipment they have.
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #164
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use the much more because it is compact and looks good, i have made a few units that get to -1C in 20min with ambient air temp around 20 degrees C but the things are to damn big to maintain cooler motors use fans when you are running. i have 2 fans on my chassis combined with the pre treatment of motor cooler = motors that do not loose any zip during a race, my 2 fans sound like a jet when they spool up
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #165
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any ideas where to find these in the states???
thanks
rogtsaamokin is offline   Reply With Quote