R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default WTF!! Trinity Cobalt Voted Readers Choice?

I just found out that the Trinity Cobalt, has won the R/C Car Action readers choice award for best motor.

I am really confused. The readers must be not all there up stairs or the readers choice award went to the highest bidder. Unbelievable!

Rigged I tell ya!
Bobby J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

well most of the readers are new to RC and if you saw 20 pages of Trinity ads you would be swayed as well.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Name a better motor.

I'm not partial to anything. I just like fast stuff. But the changes that came about with the cobalt are sweet. Especially the new brush hoods, designed to greatly reduce brush deflection.

And you can't argue with that sweet blue LED.

Revolution this and that.............

Turn for turn (on the arm) the cobalt is going to beat the revolution. My belief.
More brush compounds available, as well as the new XXX brush. You can do more to contour the power. drill holes, slot, other types of cuts, etc.... Hard to do with small round brushes.

Don't forget all your favorite motor tuners are tuning either Big T motors, or reedy motors, or Top, or other smaller.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

WHO CARES!! run what you want
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

V2's have forced everyone to rethink how they design, market and ultimately race. When they came out Reedy and Trinity realized that no matter how good their motors are they were never going to be able to compete in sales if they didnt make changes. Both went the route of the longer wearing brush while Oscar started to discover new ways to make the v2's faster. Now with the emergence of Brushless I think that if they didnt make these changes you would see alot of companies start to lose sales drastically. Also I noticed that if you dont get a "special" Trinity motor, chances are it will be a dog. Dont get me wrong Im not a fan of trinity by any means, but I know that the hobby cant thrive without them and the competition they bring. And from what Ive seen and been told, the Cobalt is a great motor. I just hated the run 1 run and cut the motor and change brushes. That sucked, and that is ultimately why I switched to Orion/Peak.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Tech Master

Cobalt is not a bad motor. It eliminates the need to align brush hoods and comes with brushes that will allow the motor to last more than one run. Even if Trinity Mod's are "dogs" in most cases doing TC mod we already have too much power.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm new to the mod TC thing. I have one race day on my Cobalt 9x1. I put a total of 5 runs on the motor that day with no maintenance between runs. At home I tore it down and found the comm to be in better shape than most stock motors after a day of racing. Slight wear marks but no scorch marks between the plates. And the brushes still looked brand new. I was very impressed with the Cobalt.

I also have a 14x2 V2 that I run in my stadium truck. Also a good motor. And I would agree the V2's forced the other manufacturers to step it up. As a result, we have alot of great motors to chose from.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by lickrim
ernie is the devil all his shit sucks bobby j i got your back on this one homie V2 all the way pulling a florida on us
diplomatic as always lickrim...you really need to get past sugar coating the issues and express your true feelings on these matters regarding....

EP
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Even if Trinity Mod's are "dogs" in most cases doing TC mod we already have too much power.
So then the "Dogs" are plenty fast enough?

if so, then I agree.

TC Mod is the most demanding form of racing that can be put on a motor.

I am still running D5/6 can motors with great success. Using the xxx brushes in them.

Oh, that 1 run cut thing. Well, I found that the brushes are not really burned. Fuzzy brush and the surface looks fine, and the outside of the brush......spray it with some KABOOM. Try it on your "burned" up endbells too. Makes them look new.

Its just oxidation foolin everyone.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you want to try some wicked Cobalt based motors check out DC motorsports. Curtis is the man when it comes to motors, and he wont put a slow motor out for sale if it will dent his reputation. They are wicked fast.

-Korey
Old 05-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Anyone can pay money to get what they want printed and it's now up to you to support them. It's not about which motor run okay or if a 7 single modified motors has too much power. We all know the V2 is the most popular motor and this Reader Choice thing is pretty much bogus from day one. They are going to keep printing whatever they want but what you can do is to stop buying those companies and magazines that's doing funny business. If you like the stuff, keep buying it. If you think the magazine BS you and trying to brain wash people, simply stop buying their stuff and they will get the message.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Send a message via AIM to letitroll

I usually don't complain on this forum because it's not very constructive however in this case I'm a bit upset. I work at a local hobbyshop and this topic has been thrown up amongst our racing circles. One of my good friends happened to point out that If you look at the first 5 pages of RCCA they are covered soley with adds for ... you guessed it... Trinity and Associated!!!

I guess this might be a simple explanation for the unusual winners circle. I want a recount!!!
letitroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Oh, that 1 run cut thing. Well, I found that the brushes are not really burned. Fuzzy brush and the surface looks fine, and the outside of the brush......spray it with some KABOOM. Try it on your "burned" up endbells too. Makes them look new.

Its just oxidation foolin everyone.
Spray it with Kaboom.....Whats that? LOL

Some of you guys just don't realise.....The ratio of guys who buy hot-mod Trinity motors for speed runs or trying to keep up with their buddy to guys who actually race with mod motors is very high. Most of the time guys want a hot motor to play with and their main influence over what brand to choose is RC Car Action and all the Trinity adds.

As a racer do I hate Trinity for this...heck no, Do I hate RC Car Action....heck no. Both companies are smart and know how to make money.

Until you truly understand the amount of people in this hobby and how many of them are racers, you'll never understand the RC Car Action Reader Poll results....
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
Tech Master

I also think that most of the people that have a problem with the Cobalt haven't use it.

But what you are seeing is the influence of ads, not just in RC but everywhere.

And for you people making stuff up why not count the number of ads and look at who really advertises the most. Trinity isn't that. Also EVERY magazine has ads in the first part of the magazine. Those are prime realestate and worth the most.

Move past the advertising fixation, because they don't run the magazine. Advertisers get special treatment of course, that's how you treat a customer right?