Wiki Posts
Search

custom anodization

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default custom anodization

Is there anyone/anywhere out there to get aluminum parts custom anodized? I really dont like the purple on my HPI/HB cars. I would like a nice gunmetal color.

Thanks

Bronson
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 AM
Tech Elite

There has to be someone out there who knows who can do this.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There are tons of places that do anodizing. Just google it and find some places close to you then make some phone calls. Otherwise there are diy's out there on how to do it yourself (again, reference google).
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Stew
There are tons of places that do anodizing. Just google it and find some places close to you then make some phone calls. Otherwise there are diy's out there on how to do it yourself (again, reference google).
I watched a video on YouTube showing how to strip anodizing and bring it back to bare metal, I tried it on some old red bulks from my photon and literally took 30 seconds.. Now I'm also looking for a place to put the color back on so I can do it to my Xray T4 and make it red like my photon.. Photon colors are my favorite red/black or even a yellow Xray.. What do you think about that? For sure would be 1 of a kind
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

I have already googled and can only find large commercial applications. As far as dyi kits i am not dropping $300+ on a kit i will only use once. If you have googled and can find some small scale stuff please share with me and others that may want to do this.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I have already googled and can only find large commercial applications. As far as dyi kits i am not dropping $300+ on a kit i will only use once. If you have googled and can find some small scale stuff please share with me and others that may want to do this.

There may be a place local to you that does it. Google is your friend. Keep in mind colors may be limited and small runs can be spendy. Anodizing at home isn't an option for most. It's messy and the materials used can be nasty and disposal is problematic. You'd be best just stripping the purple and polishing the aluminum up with some blitz or something similar.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default See the Comercial Market Place...

Owenracing is the guy that does Black annodizing ......he's here somewhere......but his thread needs to bump-up to the top.Goodluck.
......[correction] He's in the Team and Company discussions thread-my mistake.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I believe oven cleaner takes the anodizing off....
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

LINK

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...anodizing.html
Old 04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am pretty sure F1 paintlabs offers a custom anodizing service with a wide range of color choices. The owner is BP SHADOW here on RC tech. Might want to send him a pm.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys,

Your best bet is to try and find a local anodizing shop in your yellow pages. Do your research on them and take everything that you possibly own and have them anodize it. If they're smaller, your bet is best that they are willing to help you out. What small business now days turns away business? If paintball guys get single markers done, they won't turn down a toy car guy.

Edit: if they look at you crazy when you want your Tamiya or Xray anodized, they are a good place. My guy always tells me how bad he feels that he has to etch off that stuff. They chemicals they use over seas make for much better anodizing (from what my guy tells me)

-Mikey Owen
(Owen Racing)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
I believe oven cleaner takes the anodizing off....
Easy-Off oven cleaner in the yellow can will do it.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Easy-Off oven cleaner in the yellow can will do it.
Just warning you all, it's not the greatest for the finish of the aluminum. If you have a media blaster, it suggest that. If you want to be analitical put screws in all the thread holes and medial blast that stuff. Nice flat finish looks killer.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

As mentioned F1 Paint Labs offers some of their pre-built cars in custom anodizing but I'm not sure if he does stuff outside of that though. Last time I had some done I looked up paintball places as those guys get a lot of custom anodizing done. I used Palmer Pursuits previously.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Hey MikeO, I'm hoping you weren't offended by me posting Owensracing's name up - I'd not read the thread until Saturday night( i'm glad you have more racing time <since 2010>) For what it's worth , I'd remember the work on the the cars posted on the "Cleanest...." thread.Cool stuff.Anyways, it's cool to see you around the forums.-Greg