R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 43
Default TC6.1 WC vs Xray T4

Hi guys,

Previously i owned a tamiya TA-05 powered by a 23T motor. My skill has improved. I intend to move up the ladder. I am going to buy one of these: TC6.1 WC vs Xray T4. I am looking for a suitable ecs/motor combo. Any recommendation? I would like to know your view. Thank you
Fennec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,261
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I am bias because I run a T4, If parts is not an issue, go with T4. ESC and motor wise, goes with what your local run most. It is not fun if you run unfairly slow or fast.
__________________
Xray X12 2015
ARC R10 ATS
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Dan
Tech Elite
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,407
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

T4 is the way to go. Quality is miles ahead of the Associated and worth the extra coin. My track doesn't even carry Xray parts and I don't stock any myself aside from diff gaskets, etc. when I want to tune. The car is so tough that if you break something on a T4, it would have to be a really big crash.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hobart TAS Australia
Posts: 1,043
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Would also have to say T4, I've had one for 6 months now and have a stack of spare parts but have not use any except a rear belt
Have also worked on a mates TC6.1 and have to say the quality is not as good
In saying that the car still runs well and parts are cheaper
__________________
Team Awesomatix
R1 Wurks
RC Maker.com
Southern Tasmania Model Car Club
lethallee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethallee69 View Post
Would also have to say T4, I've had one for 6 months now and have a stack of spare parts but have not use any except a rear belt
Have also worked on a mates TC6.1 and have to say the quality is not as good
In saying that the car still runs well and parts are cheaper
Both car are good but Xray is much tougher, the fastest guy at my local track is an associated sponsored driver but he battles it out with a T4 every week..
I have a T4 and love it with an ORCA speedo ( had tekin, lrp sxx, lrp flow) and its the best speedo I've had so far but not too far from the flow, probably wouldn't know the difference if you didn't look with thunder power or a revtech and waiting on the new killshot to come
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
Flux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 42
Default

T4 is the superior car
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
dvsstrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 545
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

it depends on parts availibilty. if you can get your hands on xray prts locally. then get an xray. if you have to order it get a tc6. you can always get associated parts anywhere.
__________________
Tim Linayao
Team Schumacher Usa Core-Rc Team Powers
dvsstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 43
Default

Thank you for the feedback. The reason why the TC6.1 has caught my attention is because of the low price. My LHS only has 1 kit and has lowered its price as it has been a shelf sitter. No one at my local race track own the Team Associated TC6.1 touring car. However there are a large number of T4 and a few Yokomo BD7. Today i was shown one but the Yokomo BD7 cost a bit more than the T4. T4 is a physically tough car but Yokomo gives me the quality feel. But the spare parts cost more.

Over here there are a mix of motor turns, hence different car performance. I have been recommneded a Speed Passion Revention 10.5T combo. I worried about its run time and physical stress on the chassis (if any). I am leaning towards the Xray T4. I want to hear more before jumping into this costly toy. Keep coming
Fennec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
j.d.roost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,087
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennec View Post
Thank you for the feedback. The reason why the TC6.1 has caught my attention is because of the low price. My LHS only has 1 kit and has lowered its price as it has been a shelf sitter. No one at my local race track own the Team Associated TC6.1 touring car. However there are a large number of T4 and a few Yokomo BD7. Today i was shown one but the Yokomo BD7 cost a bit more than the T4. T4 is a physically tough car but Yokomo gives me the quality feel. But the spare parts cost more.

Over here there are a mix of motor turns, hence different car performance. I have been recommneded a Speed Passion Revention 10.5T combo. I worried about its run time and physical stress on the chassis (if any). I am leaning towards the Xray T4. I want to hear more before jumping into this costly toy. Keep coming
This would be the deciding factor for me.

It's hard to get help from the fast guys when none of them are running the same car as you.
They are both very good cars. From what I see at my locals the 6.1 can generate TONS of grip. This is sometimes an issue on a high grip carpet track if you don't know how to deal with it. Outdoors it can be a nice advantage.

I am lucky to have team racers from most tc manufactures at my locals (and they are all very helpful). I have seen the 6.1,t4,Photon,and the Russian car able to dominate on any given weekend...It comes down to setup,parts availability and most importantly good help when you get lost.

Oh...and until you get the car setup right and you driving up to par...motor choice is not that important. A faster wind will just you into more trouble. I don't think motor brand is as important when you start running the lower turn motors..(I am sure a mod guy will correct me if I am wrong) as they all seem to make a boat load of power.
Just run whatever is working for you local drivers.

I have run the Tekin,HW v3 and now the Orca (in 17.5 mind you) and they were all very good esc's.They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The Orca seems to be the best blend of them all.
__________________
F1
Roche usa
R.I.P. Jon Williams

Last edited by j.d.roost; 04-28-2013 at 09:26 AM.
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
gom
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Default

If you can afford it, get the T4. The build quality of the TC6 is not as good. It also has several small design issues. It's a capable car, but you have to spend extra effort to make it work.

I ran a TC6 for 1.5 years and now I am driving a Yokomo. I would never look back. Simply put, you get what you pay for.

Also, like J.D.Roost said, you would want to run the same chassis that other drivers run at your track. Don't worry about local support that much. Things are very easy to get online if you run a T4.

Regarding the Speed Passion Revention, I hear that it has been having issue since release. You should check out the Speed Passion ESC thread. I ran a Tekin and now a Hobbywing. Both good, but I like the Hobbywing better simply because you don't need a laptop around for setting change.
__________________
Yokomo BD5 - Yokomo BD7 - Futaba - Hobbywing - Reedy - Savox
gom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.d.roost View Post
This would be the deciding factor for me.

It's hard to get help from the fast guys when none of them are running the same car as you.
I disagree, I run a Spec-R and the fast guys are running a whole bunch of other chassis at my track, and by fast guys i mean multi times national champs here in .AU.

I do not lack for setup advice and guidance, they are more than happy to take my car and turn some laps to see if it is the car or the driver, and so far all my problems are the driver, not the car and not the setup.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
j.d.roost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,087
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
I disagree, I run a Spec-R and the fast guys are running a whole bunch of other chassis at my track, and by fast guys i mean multi times national champs here in .AU.

I do not lack for setup advice and guidance, they are more than happy to take my car and turn some laps to see if it is the car or the driver, and so far all my problems are the driver, not the car and not the setup.
No argument...I should have said...Its easier to get quick help (and free r&d) when you are running the same chassis.. My "other chassis" buds have helped me a ton when I came to them and said... "I need it to do this..".

That being said... I don't think it's bad advice to recommend he gets the same platform that the majority of the local fast/good guys are running.When the help you are getting relates directly to the same chassis...it just makes things easier (especially on a newer driver).Let's not forget every track is different.Online setups don't always work on the track you are racing on. The fast guys usually have things figured out for the surface/temp ect. by the 2nd heat.

As far as the two cars he was asking about...I think one is better.The fact that most of the guys at his track are running it already will be most helpful with not only setup advice but parts support. If everyone at his track had the other car and the hobby shop was stocked with parts I would recommend the latter.Both cars can be winners.
__________________
F1
Roche usa
R.I.P. Jon Williams
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
ekim628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 815
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I would say the TC6.1 is a good low priced car with plenty of parts support. It performs just as good as any touring car out there. I haven't broken a single part on my TC6.1 except the front belt coming off. Xray is an excellent car but when you DO break, it costs an arm and a leg to fix. Most T4's in my area break the top deck of the chassis which is $$$

Just my .02
__________________
Eric K.

/ Team Associated / Viper RC / Radiopost / Sweep Tires / Much-More Racing / RAL Designs / Parma USA
ekim628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 43
Default

Hi everyone, Good day

@JOESI thanks for touching on the esc. I have ordered the Hobbywing Xerun 120A esc together with Yeah Racing 13.5T motor. @j.d.roost you have pointed out vital points, I agree that support from fellow T4 drivers are important. The Local Hobby Shops located near to where I live, carry Xray parts. But kits and spare parts from Team Associated is rare. @gom thanks for touching on the issue of Speed Passion Reventon, I have ordered esc from another manufacturer.
The TC6.1 is effectively out. Because of its low popularity, I am also worried about its resale value. The T4 is the preferred chassis. But before I part with my hard earned $$$, I have some final things to clarify regarding the built quality. There are a few Yokomo BD7 at my local track. I will go and see for myself this weekend I would like to thank each & everyone of you for your precious feedback. Have a nice and fun race days ahead
Fennec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim628 View Post
I would say the TC6.1 is a good low priced car with plenty of parts support. It performs just as good as any touring car out there. I haven't broken a single part on my TC6.1 except the front belt coming off. Xray is an excellent car but when you DO break, it costs an arm and a leg to fix. Most T4's in my area break the top deck of the chassis which is $$$

Just my .02

+1

Xray cars don't break often but when they do parts are pricey. In the US tracks stock more AE parts as the Xray parts are expensive and they dont make much money selling them.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:40 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net