R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-15-2005, 06:30 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

one more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc02022.jpg (146.2 KB, 310 views)
Old 05-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tony rivas
will heres mine

Very pretty. Ever notice how our supposed "sedans" keep getting squished lower and lower???

The Rayspeed accord is almost looking like a GTP body as low as it's roofline is...

It's a shame we don't stick to scale bodies for something more interesting to look at.

Perhaps time for a "scale" class? One where you must run a scale bady and a "semi-realistic" paint job?

Bah...who knows....A buddy of mine here in Hampton Roads TQ'd with an Applebee's clear food tray mounted as a body. So nothing matters anymore anyhow...

Drink hemlock and park your cars @ 60mph...the end fo the world is neigh....

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

That looks like a coupe! It looks good but a coupe.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #34
Tech Elite

It's hard cause form follows function, and although I would have to agree that most of the sedans are starting to look similar, I'll take the performance as small as it may be. I agree though that a seperate scale class would be interesting.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:31 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by edseb
It's hard cause form follows function, and although I would have to agree that most of the sedans are starting to look similar, I'll take the performance as small as it may be. I agree though that a seperate scale class would be interesting.
Sad to say its been done, its called Tamiya series and most people run the NSX (The stratus of scale shells)

Given a choice of scale shells, everyone will eventually settle on the best performing one. Though there will always be those racers who want to be different.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 PM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
Sad to say its been done, its called Tamiya series and most people run the NSX (The stratus of scale shells)

Given a choice of scale shells, everyone will eventually settle on the best performing one. Though there will always be those racers who want to be different.
Lets have a Tamiya-like series that ALL car manufacturers can compete in...

-Me
Old 05-16-2005, 08:33 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tony rivas
one more
OK Tony, here's mine

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 06-07-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #38
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

nice jon kerr
Old 05-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Although I will say that being from an aviation background may color my perception slightly.

I really would like to see an article that compares the leading bodies in a wind tunnel.

The bodies would have to be setup in such a way with digital scales on the front right, left, center and rear left right. That way you could get pressure measurements of the downforce at various airspeeds.

That would give us a good indication once and for all just how much downforce these bodies actually produce and where.

Finally you would do the math to figure out total frontal area on each body and it's corresponding drag and reynolds numbers.

I'm willing to wager that if that kind of comprehensive test was performed, you would find that all current ROAR approved Sedan shells would be within 8% of each other.
Remember, bodies and aero isn't that simple - Record a race with a video camera (from as high above the track as possible) and watch how much the cars actually slide or drift around the track. The length of the body (especially in the rear) along with side profile (flat, tapered, coke-bottle shape) and window angle make up a huge part of the performance of a body. As I'm learning with more testing, the side profiles can greatly change the general "feel" and comfort level of a body. A wind tunnel just can't replicate that (maybe unless you are Ferrari..lol..).... Just my .02... I could be wrong...
Old 05-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
Remember, bodies and aero isn't that simple - Record a race with a video camera (from as high above the track as possible) and watch how much the cars actually slide or drift around the track. The length of the body (especially in the rear) along with side profile (flat, tapered, coke-bottle shape) and window angle make up a huge part of the performance of a body. As I'm learning with more testing, the side profiles can greatly change the general "feel" and comfort level of a body. A wind tunnel just can't replicate that (maybe unless you are Ferrari..lol..).... Just my .02... I could be wrong...
Ahh...good point Josh, total side area = resistance to Yaw (side to side rotation/motion)

Just the same as a rudder on an aircraft. The larger it is, the more tendency the plane has to track straight; the smaller it is, the more unstable and "squirrely" it is.

Put in simple terms of course...

-Me

Last edited by Soviet; 05-17-2005 at 12:12 AM.