Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
In response;

1) the optional rear hub plates can help with freeing the car up on tighter tracks. I tend to flick between the two groove on a track with tight hairpins, and the kit plates on a track that is more flowing. On a flowing open track, the two groove can make the car over rotate on exit a little, but does help with initial stability too. Honestly, best thing to do (as they aren't expensive) is try them. The two groove moves the outer rear link in towards the car centre 2mm, and the one groove 1mm, so shorter links than the kit plates. One good thing is that one full turn of the camber link tie rod equates to 1mm... So changing the plates is pretty quick and painless, and don't even need to use gauges (I have checked this against gauges mind)

2) I assume you mean the top deck mounts that go against the shock towers? If so, the aluminium mounts are a little stronger and stiffer, and this is more so in higher ambient temperatures, as the plastic mounts soften in heat. They also do away with any need for lock nuts, as the alu mounts are all threaded.

3) For modified, I tend to use 2000 or 3000 oil. I do have a diff with 4k ready to go. I tend to find that a thicker rear oil really helps with on power steering, although needs a better trigger finger in mod. Lower than 2k, and the car tends to diff out, IMO.

HiH
Ed
Thanks for the input Tryhard !

I tried the 2 groove link, and thought that it made the car very hard to steer, almost to agressive for my taste. When I changed back to the standard ones, I thought that the car was more easy to drive.

And regarding the top deck mounts against the shock towers, then I don't think I will spend money on them, after hearing your thoughts.

I also tried the 1000CST in the gear diff, and think the car rotates better through the corners, but on power it seems to just spin the wheels.

I can also see, that on most of the setup sheets on petit rc, the diff is with 2000 and above.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by KBRacing
Hi haywood,

Do you have a website where I can find the Jet Hobbies aluminum mounts .......???
..hit me up.. 1 set in stock..

..p
Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Haywood, I will order it first thing in the morning.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi All,

Does anyone have a guide to making center steering on a Mi5, or is there a part you can buy .....?????
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-sat-hofermi5-5.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-sat-hofermi5-9.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Try Hard has made it

Originally Posted by TryHard
I made them myself. The ackerman plates, I just cut up a buggered chassis plate that I had from a previous car, and drew up in cad a template to mark out the new hole positions.
The rack, was also pretty simple. Firstly filled in the cut-out in the rack, by cutting a strip of carbon to size, and sanding it down to the right thickness, before Aralditing it in place. Then I drilled and tapped new holes in the middle of the rack, 8mm apart.

HiH
Ed
Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Try Hard, what was the result of the rack change? And can you make me one, haha..i have no time to do all that
Old 01-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

How many Shuie drivers going to the BIRDS?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Birds

Originally Posted by jtsbell
I hope you guys can get a high grip setup figured out!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by jtsbell
.. You know we'll be there..!

Originally Posted by haywood
I hope you guys can get a high grip setup figured out!
.. We've come a long way with the chassis since Vegas, looking forward to good runs this time.. !

..p
Old 01-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Good Morning fellow mi-5 freaks......i have a question for you. I just picked up the Front true cv's for my schuey. The instructions however confused me as it says to take the retaining clips off and face them in the opposite direction. Can anyone tell me why? They seem to be nice and snug, and seem to be retaining the pins just fine. They also look like I'd have to pull them off with pliers and I'm worried it will ruin the clips.

Can you explain a)if this is really necessary b)how did u get off the clip without totally mutilating it and c)what is the point?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by igetbombed
Good Morning fellow mi-5 freaks......i have a question for you. I just picked up the Front true cv's for my schuey. The instructions however confused me as it says to take the retaining clips off and face them in the opposite direction. Can anyone tell me why? They seem to be nice and snug, and seem to be retaining the pins just fine. They also look like I'd have to pull them off with pliers and I'm worried it will ruin the clips.

Can you explain a)if this is really necessary b)how did u get off the clip without totally mutilating it and c)what is the point?

Thanks in advance
.. I would recommend doing it. It can happen that the retaining spring(s) (when mounted opposite of the direction of rotation) can briefly become 'unsprung' to the point that they move off the channel that they lay in, therefore allowing the pins to drop out , disconnecting the shaft. When the springs are mounted with the direction of rotation, they will stay in the channel as any forces applied then will serve to 'tighten' ( if you will ) the spring and keep it secure in the channel, therefore keeping the pins in place.. I usually use a small flat blade or the tip of an Exacto knife to lift the tail of the spring over the side of the outermost channel and peel it off with my thumb.. pretty easy and quick once you get it down.. hope it helps

..p
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-2014-01-12-09.01.22.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-2014-01-12-09.01.06.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DiscountRCStore
.. I would recommend doing it. It can happen that the retaining spring(s) (when mounted opposite of the direction of rotation) can briefly become 'unsprung' to the point that they move off the channel that they lay in, therefore allowing the pins to drop out , disconnecting the shaft. When the springs are mounted with the direction of rotation, they will stay in the channel as any forces applied then will serve to 'tighten' ( if you will ) the spring and keep it secure in the channel, therefore keeping the pins in place.. I usually use a small flat blade or the tip of an Exacto knife to lift the tail of the spring over the side of the outermost channel and peel it off with my thumb.. pretty easy and quick once you get it down.. hope it helps

..p
Ok cool......thank you
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reg
What did you do to free the car up?
What setup are you running
Thanks
did not see this. well now running grey belts and aluminum axles. I run the belt as loose as possible without skipping.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by igetbombed

Thanks in advance
The spring clip keeps coming off all the time and loosing the pin.My solution was to put heat shrink over the joints.Works fine.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Phil would you post your setup that you ended up with at the IIC high traction.That will give us MI5 guys a place to start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.