Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by micksid
has anyone found that the bearing in the micro caster blocks can have play which gives alot of slop. i have tried the m4x14 screw mod but still lots of play. if i look closely though i can see the inner bearing race moves a bit and also the out race moves in the micro caster bit.

the right hand side has alot more slop than the left.

going to look into better 4x9x4 bearings to try and prevent the slop

I noticed the same on my Mi5.

I have been very frustrated about that sloop in the front micro caste blocks.

And I just ordered some new bearings 'still Schumacher bearings', and hopes this could solve some of the sloop.

Please keep us informed if you find any better bearings !
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by micksid
has anyone found that the bearing in the micro caster blocks can have play which gives alot of slop. i have tried the m4x14 screw mod but still lots of play. if i look closely though i can see the inner bearing race moves a bit and also the out race moves in the micro caster bit.

the right hand side has alot more slop than the left.

going to look into better 4x9x4 bearings to try and prevent the slop
Yes, .. we did find the same issue.. One of my guys is working on sourcing a bushing(s) that will fully replace the bearings as the bearings themselves are not truly necessary; the bushing can handle more 'stress' if you will without getting out of shape.. we'll keep you posted as the project develops...

..p
Old 10-26-2013, 01:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

for those who are wanting to try the martin hoffer setup but don't want to really cut the shock shafts you can put the hot bodies 28mm shock shafts in to get the 10.5 rather than cutting and glueing the schuie ones
Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yesterday Helped gdcpbdcp with car to dial it in for an upcoming race. When he arrived I straighten out his car to be square and took it for a base run. Then we installed the wildthing arm and WOW! The amount that the car freed up was insane. the car came alive and was able to transition faster through a chicane and turn in faster and easier. So to sum it up If you can get your hands on them get them I know Discountrc store is out and will have more in a few weeks.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dvsstrike
Yesterday Helped gdcpbdcp with car to dial it in for an upcoming race. When he arrived I straighten out his car to be square and took it for a base run. Then we installed the wildthing arm and WOW! The amount that the car freed up was insane. the car came alive and was able to transition faster through a chicane and turn in faster and easier. So to sum it up If you can get your hands on them get them I know Discountrc store is out and will have more in a few weeks.
Tim, thanks for your help. The wild things along with the stiffer chassis and rear braces cut my lap times almost 3/4 of a second. They are awesome!
Plus the car is easy to drive, and maintain the all important corner speed needed for stock racing.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

also, if you do get the new stiffer chassis, I highly recommend that you use aluminum 3x5 mm screws for the rear arm mounts instead of the supplied steel screws. it is better to break the screws in a bad crash than to break the thinner 2mm chassis.

maybe Schumacher could pack the alum screws instead of the steel?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

None of us have done any damage to the rear of the chassis when used with the braces - this is why they are included with the 2nn chassis. I'd agree, if anyone wants to use 2mm chassis with no braces, then they need to do everything they can do - and alloy screws is one of those things.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

I've actually stopped using the aluminum front screws as of this weekend and am using titanium instead. Still softer than steel but harder than aluminum. Found the aluminum screws on the front arm mounts were popping a little too frequently.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DiscountRCStore
Yes, .. we did find the same issue.. One of my guys is working on sourcing a bushing(s) that will fully replace the bearings as the bearings themselves are not truly necessary; the bushing can handle more 'stress' if you will without getting out of shape.. we'll keep you posted as the project develops...

..p
]]

i will be interested in these if you source any, i have just ordered some metal shielded bearings, new caster blocks, and new front hubs to try and resolve the slop in the right hand side. only had two outings!!

also thought about using a thrust bearing instead, but not ideal. bushing will be great if you can get some
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tamiya has bronze bushings in the sizes everyone is looking for the micro caster.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Wild Thing

I really disliked the stock top shock mount setup as it would bind up with my bleeder caps. The Wild Thing mounts really allow for free movement of the shocks. I added 3mm countersunk washers along with the provided screws that Phil at DiscountRc recommended.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dvsstrike
Tamiya has bronze bushings in the sizes everyone is looking for the micro caster.
Any part number for the Tamiya bushing ?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
I noticed the same on my Mi5.

I have been very frustrated about that sloop in the front micro caste blocks.

And I just ordered some new bearings 'still Schumacher bearings', and hopes this could solve some of the sloop.

Please keep us informed if you find any better bearings !

Remove the 4deg micro castor blocks and bearing. Using a cotton bud coat the inside of the blocks where the bearings seat with super glue, 2 light coats is enough and using a pair of pliers squeeze the bearings back in, and hey presto.....No Slop
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 AM
Tech Regular

Could anyone post pics of there servo and servosaver. Still are on the look out for the right combo (servo postions and saver).

My setup seems to get in the way af the tie rods going from the servosaver and from the steering rack to the left wheel. mayby I am doing a rookie mistake, so I would like to see others setup.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I am using a Tamiya heavy duty servo saver.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-24-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.