Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 AM
pbr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We moved battery as far back as possible ( mid motor full battery pack with the lightest we had for a battery pack ) car is about @1440 need 21 gr to balance car We are going to try a shorty when I can get a good one
Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default My car

Originally Posted by haywood
Could a couple others post pics of their mid motor layouts? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I ran my Mi5 today outdoors on asphalt with the mid-motor setup and it was great. No issues and the car was dialed from the start. I did nudge a corner dot and sheared the aluminum suspension pins up front. They did their thing and no other damage occurred. I was within a tenth or two per lap of a very fast A-main club racer so not too bad considering this was my first time with the car. I was running a 3.46 FDR using a Speed Passion 17.5 V3.0 motor with a Hobby Wing Justock ESC.

Last edited by SteveM; 09-23-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

having no track to run on here on long island i have been searching for a fresh parking lot...i found 2 close to my house this week. this car is sweet, so quiet you can hardly hear it go by!!! anyway i had a blast with it today...
Old 09-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default carpet

Just a few feedback lines.

Ran the 5 on carpet .....wow...car was freaking good..
I thought it would dump over due to flex..... but car handled fantastic...
Standard kit + additional top deck stiffener.

Car was a little loose in the rear at first... shimmed lower arms to 1.5mm under and played around with inner camber link (rear) until the right combo was established...
Minimal tire wear.
Next need to play around with springs to get just a little more aggression.

At someone's suggestion I played around with battery position....and to my surprise moving full forward made a huge difference.

I will post a setup in a week or two once I get the spring combo to my liking.

Car is awesome for my driving
Old 09-22-2013, 05:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by haywood
Could a couple others post pics of their mid motor layouts? Thanks.
Hope these will help!
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-0824130049a.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-0824130050.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-0824130050a.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Nice
Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Hi just got my Mi5 with mid motor setup, a few questions:
1. What is the rate of the springs that comes standard with the kit? What is their color label? How to tell from looking at the springs?
2. The local shop recommend the optional rear hub carrier arms, said would "free up" the rear more and make it more lively...what's the difference between this option and the one that comes stock?
3. Same question with the 3 Dinks link mount, how does that compare with the stock 4 dink ones?
4. I run at a high speed track with good traction and speed sweeps, any recommendation on the setting?

Any tips appreciated.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

A couple of questions.

1: my rear tires a getting a hard beating. I run 2 in camber, and mid hole in shock tower, anyone experince the same.

2: Are anyone using 0.5mm shims under the transmision housing like Martin Hofer, ore are some also running the standard 1.0 mm ?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blackshark3
1. What is the rate of the springs that comes standard with the kit? What is their color label? How to tell from looking at the springs?
2. The local shop recommend the optional rear hub carrier arms, said would "free up" the rear more and make it more lively...what's the difference between this option and the one that comes stock?
3. Same question with the 3 Dinks link mount, how does that compare with the stock 4 dink ones?
4. I run at a high speed track with good traction and speed sweeps, any recommendation on the setting?

Any tips appreciated.
1) Kit springs are Schumacher Greens, which are 15.9lb (basically they are the same as the HPI silvers, the go-to asphalt spring). Have a look at each spring, and you'll see a green paint mark on each one.
2) The option rear hub plates make the rear link shorter from the outside (1mm with 1groove plate, 2mm with 2groove). This will affect the camber change, and roll centre. A shorter link will tend to make the car roll less, and also become more reactive. Personally though, even though I have the parts, I'm still using the stock zero groove plates.
3) Similar to the option rear hub plates, the 3groove plates have the camber link holes spaced a further 2mm apart (hence on the setup sheet it says 39mm), which again has the affect of shortening the camber link by 1mm per side over the stock 4groove. Similar thing, car rolls less, be more reactive, and aren't more corner speed. In my testing so far, I prefer the three groove plates, with the kit rear hub plate.
4) I would be looking to the Grainger Cotswolds settings, or the Hoffer Euro's setup. Both are up on the Schuey site.

HiH
Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 09-23-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by blackshark3

Any tips appreciated.
1. White = 13.9 lb in
Blue = 14.9 lb in
Green = 15.9 lb in * these are the kit springs*
Red = 16.9 lb in
Yellow = 17.9 lb in

2. Part U4295 makes the upper camber link shorter by moving the outer mounting point closer to the center of the car.

3. Part U4311 also makes the link shorter by moving the inner mounting point away from the center of the car

4. Carpet, Asphalt? Maybe reference here : http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/schu...macherMI5.html
We're running mid motor with good success on mid to high grip technical carpet.. can get you a set up for that if you like.. I'm sure the others can provide further suggestions.. hope it helps..!

..p
Old 09-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
A couple of questions.

1: my rear tires a getting a hard beating. I run 2 in camber, and mid hole in shock tower, anyone experince the same.

2: Are anyone using 0.5mm shims under the transmision housing like Martin Hofer, ore are some also running the standard 1.0 mm ?

Thanks in advance
What are you running of shims size ?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
What are you running of shims size ?
Personally, I've used 0.5mm only all round. Never even bothered to build the car with 1mm shims. I am going to try playing with this on friday in practise.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Mi5

Ran the car finally for the first time tonight... Right on pace with Hofers setup! Broke the stock servo horn in the main so what do you guys recommend for the servo horn or servo saver?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Some guys can get away with running the stock servo horn....I couldn't. Stripped 2 of them one weekend. Servo savers for me typically. First car I ever tried to do that with. My suggestion is one of the 2 XRay options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.