Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Old 06-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
All 4 Mi5 drivers around here have moved to gear diff's in the font, and we are running between 600,000 and 1,000,000 cst oil.
Whats the reasoning behind that? Are you doing it for more initial turn in? Just asking cause I've found the Mi5 to have great turn in on asphalt.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It depends on the nature of the surface/tracks you race on. I have found the car to lack initial turn-in (just a tiny bit), but really excel on the exits. The geardiff helped balance the "feel" between corner entrance and exit.

Also, (and primarily) our outdoor asphalt tracks aren't the smoothest... so the geardiff with a really really high weight oil, just seems to "soak up" some of the inconsistencies with a bumpier track as the two front wheels can spin/shift between one another, instead of being locked with a spool.. Car has more traction over-all, everywhere. The 600,000+ oil allowes the car to pull from the exits LIKE a spool...

The downside is, the car is heavier.

(EDIT: Also, this isn't something I have totally settled on... iv run the diff the last two weekends... and will likely run it tomorrow... but will go back to the spool to compare. Who knows where I will end up )
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

What body are most people running?
I'm toying with the idea of running the Ride liberty body for extra steering. I'm not entirely sure if this has more or less than the ltcr...
Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The factory schumacher gear diff fits and runs great in the front. All 4 Mi5 drivers around here have moved to gear diff's in the font, and we are running between 600,000 and 1,000,000 cst oil. The front belt shifts to the left a little bit since the pully is closer to centerline than the spool, so you might need to double check your belt tension, but that's it. Works great, zero issues, and you don't need to run the crappy spec-R. The Schui gear diff is worlds better.
The Mi5 rear diff will not work up front. You need to run the Spec R Mi4 gear diff in front of the Mi5.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The factory schumacher gear diff fits and runs great in the front. All 4 Mi5 drivers around here have moved to gear diff's in the font, and we are running between 600,000 and 1,000,000 cst oil. The front belt shifts to the left a little bit since the pully is closer to centerline than the spool, so you might need to double check your belt tension, but that's it. Works great, zero issues, and you don't need to run the crappy spec-R. The Schui gear diff is worlds better.
Can you post a photo of how much the belt is skewed? Running with the belt divider on the centre pulley or without?

Have you run modified with the mi5 gear diff up front, or only spec classes? Very interested in this experience.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have been running the R9R on mine because I like the looks of it. It is performing very well but I do have an LTC-R to spray for it as well. I am looking into putting a gear diff up front as well, just haven't gotten around to it. With our low grip it eases the transition and helped my Serpent quite a bit. The Mi5 was already better and if it sees the same improvement will likely be unstoppable at the local level.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:53 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, I have done a bit of a build review of the Mi5 on my site and it would be great if you would check it out and give me any feedback (good and bad!)

The review; http://www.rcracingni.co.uk/?p=116211

It really was a great build and if the weather would sort itself out in the UK I may even get to race it!

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 06-23-2013, 03:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scoyle
Hi, I have done a bit of a build review of the Mi5 on my site and it would be great if you would check it out and give me any feedback (good and bad!)

It really was a great build and if the weather would sort itself out in the UK I may even get to race it!

Thanks,
Stephen
Which fan mount are you using in those photos? That looks pretty slick.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoyle

Thanks,
Stephen
Nice writeup Stephen!

The Mi5 really is a nice car. So easy to work on, and I am amazed by how it responds to setup changes.
I run mod on a low grip asphalt track, but its so much fun!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cgroves
Which fan mount are you using in those photos? That looks pretty slick.
It was a mount I got from Reflex Racing when I was running a TC6.1 Worlds; http://www.reflexracing.net/RSD-2530...t-_p_1043.html

Stephen
Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
The Mi5 rear diff will not work up front. You need to run the Spec R Mi4 gear diff in front of the Mi5.
I'm guessing you probably know who Brett Sisley is, given both your past involvements with Schumacher. Has he told you it doesn't work? Because he's demonstrated that it works just fine even in modified. It just doesn't look perfect.

-Mike
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by AdrianM
No need to speculate and spread misinformation, just try it. Works 100% perfectly fine. No offense intended.

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I'm guessing you probably know who Brett Sisley is, given both your past involvements with Schumacher. Has he told you it doesn't work? Because he's demonstrated that it works just fine even in modified. It just doesn't look perfect.

-Mike
Yep.. Sisley and I both run an additional gear diff up front and haven't experienced a single issue. I run one in 17.5, and Brett runs one with his 5.5. Sisley is a monster (knows his stuff), and he had to convince me that the slight angle of the front diff belt wouldn't be an issue... and so far, he is right. If we discover any problems later, we will report.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 06-23-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by scott_g
Can you post a photo of how much the belt is skewed?
Here you go... no discernible issues in either mod or 17.5. (no additional belt ware noticeable either) And the diff is SO much better than the specR.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-frontdiff.jpg  

Last edited by Cpt.America; 06-23-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Anyone running a shorty + esc behind shorty layout? I thinking about doing it, but rough measurements have L/R balance is good, F/R balance is good (rear bias) but corner weights are out by 30-40g FL & RR.

Total weight is 1342 (aus rules is 1380, unless im reading these rules wrong) so i can just pop a few weights around the chassis and get corner weights closer to even (but not quite)

Probably not worth worrying about?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Steering knuckle issue update. I have pin pointed the issue. Still waiting for helicoils. However. The kit knuckles had a slight chamfer the spare parts we recieved have a much larger chamfer. Once the kit ones wore out the replacements only last one race day on our carpet track. The king pin only threads in the new parts 3 threads. Iam going to try longer screws as well as the.helicoil. I will be sending my findings to mark asap.

This car out performs everything else on our high bite carpet. I just need the knuckles to last. Also to note I am not hitting boards. These tend to fail mid sweeper or quick switch back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.