Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Wow amazing car!!
Love my mi4cxl and this should be even better!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
I think the only reason they dont have as big of presence over here is their team is based in the UK. They havent pursued american drivers for many years. But with this car, the K1 and SVR being more tailored to the US style tracks, hopefully that will change soon I dont see any reason why the car wouldnt work every bit as or better than whats out there now.

The offroad cars have gained a pretty good following this year. They work great, durable and higher quality than the most common brands and people are starting to notice that.

I agree Tony. I love my SVR. I am getting the new MI-5, and hope to have it in time to race it at the Reedy Race of Champions next month. Are you coming?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
I think the only reason they dont have as big of presence over here is their team is based in the UK. They havent pursued american drivers for many years. But with this car, the K1 and SVR being more tailored to the US style tracks, hopefully that will change soon I dont see any reason why the car wouldnt work every bit as or better than whats out there now.

The offroad cars have gained a pretty good following this year. They work great, durable and higher quality than the most common brands and people are starting to notice that.
I couldn't agree more with this. I have had two schumacher buggies, great quality and current SVR is the bomb. I have had several schey TC cars. Hands down, best quality out there at its pricepoint. I have always had great support here in the US so anyone worried about lack of scheys in US and support. DON"T WORRY........
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mi4cxl
The more I look at this. The more it impresses me.
+1!!!

Schumacher never disappoints when it comes to design!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not sure what to think yet.

There's some things that look awesome:
- Weight distribution options (battery and servo position)
- Motor mount setup with mid-motor option
- Central servo mount
- Control arms
- Omission of C-Hub, with bearings on the bottom
- Easy belt tension adjustment
- New gear diff
- Shocks mounted below arm centerline (but honestly, they could have done that with plastic)
- Rotated servo, with plenty of room for electronics

There's some things I'm disappointed to see carried over from the Mi4:
- Camber link plates, especially now that they've added the swaybar mount so I can't use the Mi4 ones I already have. The camber link plates are a pain in the butt, and it's expensive to buy different options. And as if it wasn't bad enough before, now there's a swaybar hanging off it. It seems like the swaybars, at least in the rear, could have been mounted lower, incorporated into the thing that retains the diffs. That way, they could have at least carried forward the Mi4 camber link plate unchanged.
- Slider inserts on the outdrives. They're not bad, exactly, but I'm not sure they were an improvement from blades, and it's harder to see when something's not quite right in there.
- O-Ring-retained wheel hexes. I think they allow more wheel wobble than clamp-on ones, especially as they wear.

There's some things that are interesting, but bring trade-offs with them, that may or may not work out well:
- The new steering looks trick, but it also looks heavy, isn't mounted particularly low, and the vertical balls on the steering mean no ackerman adjustability
- Fine-grained arm roll center adjustment at the cost of wheelbase, track width, and rear toe adjustment. Hopefully there's still a millimeter or two of wiggle room at the rear outer hinge pin for wheelbase. Track width can be done with wheel spacers. But rear toe... I guess we'll have to see how expensive options for that are.
- Optional rear outer camber link plates for fine-grained tuning at the outer hub, but at the cost of requiring more parts ($$) to have tuning options available.
- It looks like there's an awful lot of weight up high on the shock towers, due to the camber link plates, swaybars, and top deck mounting. That may work against the CG gains of moving the shocks down.
- There's a lot of new screws in the suspension, working against the weight savings of carbon arms and elimination of the C-Hub. 2 on each knuckle/hub and 2 on each arm = 16. Steel screws add up fast.

I think I will also miss the motor clamp. It gave so much range of adjustment for both front-rear distribution by messing with gear sizes, as well as left-right distribution to balance different battery and electronics weights. The only drawback was blocking some cooling holes on some motors, but I think it made up for that by working as a heat sink.

And things I'm just flat out disappointed with:
- The purple is gone
- Where'd the purple go?
- 404 purple not found
- Flushed and went purpling
- Flying purple sweeper eater.

Overall, the car is undeniably Schumacher, and I can't wait to see how it does in the next ETS round.

-Mike
Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
As Tony said there are no top level US drivers running Schu sedans.

That said from a geometry, weight distribution and adjustability standpoint there is nothing that would hold the Mi5 (or Mi4CXL and Mi4LP) back from being more than competitive on US tracks.
^ agree

It appears to have every adjustment ever thought of
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Purple = 80s parachute pants, just make it go away!!!

Black is the new blonde
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

They should get credit for not just making another TRF clone.. I love the fact Schumacher like to go their own way
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
YR4Dude, guess you didn't see the Awesomatix car...
I've seen it. The car is unobtanum with an unobtanum price.

The Schmacher has distribution here in the U.S. and hopefully a more market sensible price. My LHS already tells me that he can get the kit or parts within two days once its available. Try that with Awesomatix.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

WOW!!

Well done everyone at Schumacher!!

I like the mid motor option that alone makes me want one.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The part that keeps me from getting excited about the new car is the lack of support in the US. There will be a 99% chance of you being the only person with the car at the 'big' race and from my recent experiences, this certainly isn't a good thing. I'm hoping that Schumacher gets a SchumacherUSA going again (maybe through Tony's shop) and puts more drivers on the roster so that this isn't an issue. Until then, I will have to hold off on getting an Mi5. And yes, my signature states that I currently own a brand of TC that has about the same support. My next one will certainly be more mainstream.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Love the new car. Can't wait to see it in action. This just might be my next car.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by grippgoat
- Fine-grained arm roll center adjustment at the cost of wheelbase, track width, and rear toe adjustment. Hopefully there's still a millimeter or two of wiggle room at the rear outer hinge pin for wheelbase. Track width can be done with wheel spacers. But rear toe... I guess we'll have to see how expensive options for that are.
Wheelbase and rear toe adjustment were the first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures.

On the Schumacher website the wheelbase is stated absolute, so I'm guessing there is no adjustment available at the hub. I guess toe could be easily done with an option wishbone with the mounting holes moved slightly which would be trivial with CNC (could do the same with wheelbase tbh).

I'm certainly not bashing, it looks very nice and I can't wait to see it out on track at the weekend.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
They should get credit for not just making another TRF clone.. I love the fact Schumacher like to go their own way
Word!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
WOW!!

Well done everyone at Schumacher!!

I like the mid motor option that alone makes me want one.
If you get one, I'll get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.