Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:17 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
VTA wheels fit without issue - nice!
that's funny ..one of our racer here had to add the wheel spacer for wheel clearance
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hi guys, I'm waiting for my Mi5 assembled version to arrive shortly. What setup is on the assembled version? Asphalt? This will be my first assembled kit. Are these built in China? I'm hoping I can trust build quality and just install my electronics and race.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

There isn't really any issue with using the spec r diff in the front. Sure, the rear diff is much nicer than the spec r one, but with the general thickness of fluid / putty that you're going to be using in the front leakage isn't a problem.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by John.C
Hi guys, I'm waiting for my Mi5 assembled version to arrive shortly. What setup is on the assembled version? Asphalt? This will be my first assembled kit. Are these built in China? I'm hoping I can trust build quality and just install my electronics and race.
We were told that these are actually built in house at the Schumacher facility in the UK. They generally put the box setup on it ( I believe asphalt ) .. sometimes when the pre assembled cars are out of stock at Schumacher, one of us here in the shop will put one together and then give the customer their option on what setup its built with... hope it helps. .
Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Race Reports

Thread is quiet... Any feedback good or bad from racing over the weekend?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hanulec came to race today the awesomatix was fast but my Schumie was faster. To bad he couldn't stick around for the Mains.

On another note, I tried the Spec-R ecs's and they lasted about 1/2 a practice run..... Longer screw in knuckle has fixed the stripping issue completely.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
Thread is quiet... Any feedback good or bad from racing over the weekend?
how ya liking yours?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Howdy_beecha
On another note, I tried the Spec-R ecs's and they lasted about 1/2 a practice run.....
Did you follow the instructions to flip the clips around on one side? How did they fail?

-Mike
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Did you follow the instructions to flip the clips around on one side? How did they fail?

-Mike

a pin fell out, I didn't see anything in the instructions that they came with that said to flip a clip. that might be why then.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Mi5

Originally Posted by transplantlife
how ya liking yours?
I'm in the process of building two right now. Waiting on electronics to finish them. Planning on attending the IIC again this year in October!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I did a testing session at my local carpet track today. The grip was very high. With Martin Hofer's exact base setup the car was lacking a bit of turn in and the rear was too stuck.

A few common sense changes got me the steering and rear rotation I wanted. I added one more .5mm shim under the front hub ball stud, leaned the front and rear shocks all the way in, went to 2 deg front camber and 1.5 rear camber, reduced the droop and raised the inner arm pivots .5mm.

I want to try the 2deg toe rear arms and some fresh tires. Really expect to see some fast lap times then.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Well after almost a 3 year hiatus, got my first raceday in yesterday. Pretty much went with the box setup w/a few changes (slightly heavier shock oil, 1 hole down on rear shocks, 1mm spacers under outer frt ballstuds, 1mm spacers on rear hex hubs). I also ran with the frowned upon Proto R9R mounted and trimmed extremely low w/the high wing mounted 8mm from rear bumper.
During the 'wobblies' of practice and the 1st qual, I could tell Schuie had made a total bandwagonner outta me with this new car. I've owned everything but Top and XRay. And other than my TA05 and my Corally's (foam cars) have I had a car inspire so much immediate 'track confidence'. Qualified second with the second fastest lap in 17.5. This felt awesome and for not being on the track in so long, this shows promise of keeping me going back for more.
Second qual, freshies wore in some but all of a sudden car felt 'nervous' going into the corners so I didn't drive it as hard as I wanted to. Heat over, got back to the bench and saw that my front end develop some undesirable slop in the hubs (my fault really). I figured to calm the corner entry 'nervousness/edginess' down for the 3rd qual, I would raise the ride height a tad, take some droop out and lower the front shocks by one hole. Who knows right?
Third qual is great to start but by the second lap my car stops Silly me forgot to tighten the pinion after making a gear change. I go back out anyhow and grab a couple of laps back and turn some of my fastest laps of the day. The changes worked wonderfully. I'm stoked for the main.
With no changes really to be made, the main is looking to be great. I'm qualified second (been there all day), race starts and we're off and running. I don't know what my buddy OVA did, but I couldn't answer the speed he hit me with. So I just put it into cruise control and just try to really get a feel for what my car was doing. Felt good...looked good...but was topping out at about 15' of the 45-50' straight. Ouch!!
It's all good though, I came off the stand cheezin'....my MI5 performed well all day. Rubbed against pipe a few times (no major 'tappage'), not a single broken part and the car responded exactly as predicted with the few changes that I did make.
Now as far as the Proto R9R....personally, I like this body's front end aggressiveness. I felt it to be very nimble and predictable. I feel I balanced the front-end characteristics with the low mounting...the high wing line and position of the wing. Never once did I feel that the rear end of the car reacted numbly to the aggressiveness of the frontend. My car felt balanced but with some edginess. I LIKE THAT....some other folks may not.
I have the Madza S6 and the LTC-R as well but I'm trying this for now. Haven't settled on anything yet....I'm fresh back onto the scene

Schumacher....I've ran for these guys in the past and I must say that the quality, attention to detail (simplicity really), the tolerances....are outstanding. A very quality product, thank you.

Side note- no more 17.5 for me. Making the jump to mod
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-new-electric-setup.jpg  

Last edited by JayBee; 07-07-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Well after almost a 3 year hiatus, got my first raceday in yesterday. Pretty much went with the box setup w/a few changes (slightly heavier shock oil, 1 hole down on rear shocks, 1mm spacers under outer frt ballstuds, 1mm spacers on rear hex hubs). I also ran with the frowned upon Proto R9R mounted and trimmed extremely low w/the high wing mounted 8mm from rear bumper.
During the 'wobblies' of practice and the 1st qual, I could tell Schuie had made a total bandwagonner outta me with this new car. I've owned everything but Top and XRay. And other than my TA05 and my Corally's (foam cars) have I had a car inspire so much immediate 'track confidence'. Qualified second with the second fastest lap in 17.5. This felt awesome and for not being on the track in so long, this shows promise of keeping me going back for more.
Second qual, freshies wore in some but all of a sudden car felt 'nervous' going into the corners so I didn't drive it as hard as I wanted to. Heat over, got back to the bench and saw that my front end develop some undesirable slop in the hubs (my fault really). I figured to calm the corner entry 'nervousness/edginess' down for the 3rd qual, I would raise the ride height a tad, take some droop out and lower the front shocks by one hole. Who knows right?
Third qual is great to start but by the second lap my car stops Silly me forgot to tighten the pinion after making a gear change. I go back out anyhow and grab a couple of laps back and turn some of my fastest laps of the day. The changes worked wonderfully. I'm stoked for the main.
With no changes really to be made, the main is looking to be great. I'm qualified second (been there all day), race starts and we're off and running. I don't know what my buddy OVA did, but I couldn't answer the speed he hit me with. So I just put it into cruise control and just try to really get a feel for what my car was doing. Felt good...looked good...but was topping out at about 15' of the 45-50' straight. Ouch!!
It's all good though, I came off the stand cheezin'....my MI5 performed well all day. Rubbed against pipe a few times (no major 'tappage'), not a single broken part and the car responded exactly as predicted with the few changes that I did make.
Now as far as the Proto R9R....personally, I like this body's front end aggressiveness. I felt it to be very nimble and predictable. I feel I balanced the front-end characteristics with the low mounting...the high wing line and position of the wing. Never once did I feel that the rear end of the car reacted numbly to the aggressiveness of the frontend. My car felt balanced but with some edginess. I LIKE THAT....some other folks may not.
I have the Madza S6 and the LTC-R as well but I'm trying this for now. Haven't settled on anything yet....I'm fresh back onto the scene

Schumacher....I've ran for these guys in the past and I must say that the quality, attention to detail (simplicity really), the tolerances....are outstanding. A very quality product, thank you.

Side note- no more 17.5 for me. Making the jump to mod
To get rid of the slop in the front caster block and rear hubs drill a 7/64" hole for an M3 set screw from the bottom of the part to the hinge pin hole. Use m3x3mm pinon set screws. Works great.

I also squished my ball cups per Martin's blog and that got rid of all remaining play. My car's suspension is very free moving but has zero slop in any direction.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

still waiting for my car to make it to the lhs,the owner says he is an exclusive distributor for schumacher, i think he is spewing more b.s. than a herd of cattle. might be getting my deposit back and going to a different source....he has until tuesday...
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Basic asphalt set up in the manual gives lots of steering in indoor asphalt track but severe traction roll too. The car is very very flexible in chassis(you can actually see the car rolling left and right on the track) and it seems that it will do great in outdoor asphalt where traction is low to medium.
The carbon arms seemingely can be a big problem with the preinstalled ball links. It already poped out twice in moderate crash and the aluminum bolts in front were gone if you know what I'm talking about.
the steering rack is very smooth but can dislocate easily in crash.
Overall I love how soft the chassis is but I don't like some parts that can be dislocated too easily. I seem to have to buy a upper deck stiffner to run this in high traction track and I don't like the fact that I spend money on it though not much. It should be included in the kit given that the car is very flexible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.