Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions??

Can anyone confirm if the extra .3mm shims in the shocks compress the o-rings enough to stop the leeks altogether. Or if it is also worth changing o-rings, ie softer muchmore varients. Already using green slime. And yes the shocks are built correctly.

I HATE rebuilding shocks so often when i rarley need to change viscosity.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linkless
Same here, everything but the 2.5 degree wishbones since I haven't found them available anywhere yet. We are low-medium grip so the change might not be needed. I am short the 3 dink camber plate in the front, other than that it's an exact match. I will be swapping to the Schumacher springs (whatever rate is close to the Yokomo pink/blue) this weekend and see how things go. Hopefully I will have time to build up by second Mi5 and start getting some MOD practice in for IIC.
I was chatting with Martin Hofer and learned something about the springs. The Schumacher Green 16lb springs included in the kit essentially are HPI Silvers. Same steel, diameter, number of coils, production process, frequency, etc. There are awesome on asphalt.

Yokomo Pinks and Yokomo Blues are also both 16lb (or really close in reality) springs but they arrive at that rate differently from the Schumacher Greens and even each other. I know there are some spring charts out there that say different but Martin is adamant that they are incorrect. These are the ideal springs for carpet.

Yok Pinks are 16lb/6.5 coils/1.5mm wire (Stiff because of the wire diameter)

Yok Blues are 16lb/5.75 coils/1.4mm wire (Stiff because of the fewer coils).

Both are the same rate but they get there differently. When you drive an Mi5 with Green springs on carpet the car feel "On" the track. With the Yok springs the Mi5 feels "In" the track. Its hard to describe but there is a big difference in feel and how the car looks getting around the track. You get more side bite but it is less likely to traction roll with the Yok Springs.

This is why just about everyone (AE, Tam, Yok, HB, etc) runs HPI Silvers on asphalt and Yok Pink and Blues on carpet.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Additional question regarding extra shims in the shocks, what is the dimension to use, outer and inner dia. ?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kartdemon
Can anyone confirm if the extra .3mm shims in the shocks compress the o-rings enough to stop the leeks altogether. Or if it is also worth changing o-rings, ie softer muchmore varients. Already using green slime. And yes the shocks are built correctly.

I HATE rebuilding shocks so often when i rarley need to change viscosity.

Thanks.
If you get a Tamiya or 3Racing 4mm shim kit you will get .1/.2/.3mm shims. Start with the .3mm's and if you need more add a .1mm

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=3217
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

went to pick up my mi5 today but it wasn't there,bummer, i am itching to start the build. ordered some battery tape today,always used velcro but have had issues with the battery slipping out in my tc6 so i am going to try the tape. do you run it under the brackets and over the battery, how many layers?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I run it over the battery and one layer has been plenty....except I haven't had any real crashes yet.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I was chatting with Martin Hofer and learned something about the springs. The Schumacher Green 16lb springs included in the kit essentially are HPI Silvers. Same steel, diameter, number of coils, production process, frequency, etc. There are awesome on asphalt.

Yokomo Pinks and Yokomo Blues are also both 16lb (or really close in reality) springs but they arrive at that rate differently from the Schumacher Greens and even each other. I know there are some spring charts out there that say different but Martin is adamant that they are incorrect. These are the ideal springs for carpet.

Yok Pinks are 16lb/6.5 coils/1.5mm wire (Stiff because of the wire diameter)

Yok Blues are 16lb/5.75 coils/1.4mm wire (Stiff because of the fewer coils).

Both are the same rate but they get there differently. When you drive an Mi5 with Green springs on carpet the car feel "On" the track. With the Yok springs the Mi5 feels "In" the track. Its hard to describe but there is a big difference in feel and how the car looks getting around the track. You get more side bite but it is less likely to traction roll with the Yok Springs.

This is why just about everyone (AE, Tam, Yok, HB, etc) runs HPI Silvers on asphalt and Yok Pink and Blues on carpet.
Interesting about the Schumi Greens

+ about the difference with Yokomo springs, totally different feel to others
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

does anyone know when the 2,5 rear arms will be in stock? They have been in back order since they were first up on the schumacher site.. I pre orderd them aswell with my local hobby shop when i orderd the kit, but he wont receive them either since they are not in stock. Has been nearly 2 months now..
Old 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

been trying to find what size body this beauty takes,190 or 200mm maybe im looking in the wrong place,tried the schumacher website and didn't see it,but i've been known not to see stuff thats right in front of me(senior moments)...thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It takes a 190mm body.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by beaven
been trying to find what size body this beauty takes,190 or 200mm maybe im looking in the wrong place,tried the schumacher website and didn't see it,but i've been known not to see stuff thats right in front of me(senior moments)...thanks
it takes a 190 mm body. I like the Mazda Speed 6 body, it makes the car easier to drive. If you like a car that feels like it is more on edge, try the LTC.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

I also went with the shorty battery pack, and a smaller servo, and a lite-weight body. My car went from 1540 grams down to 1265 grams. It is well balanced with the speed-o behind the battery pack.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AdrianM
After a full day of testing on carpet I learned a few valuable lessons.

1. Martin's Hofer's Base Setup is an extremely good place to start. Don't skimp, get the parts you need to duplicate it exactly. I did and it was worth it.

2. The Yok Springs are crucial on carpet. The kit green springs are not good on carpet. I wanted to test the Schumacher Blue and Whites but I ran out of time.

3. Battery position makes a huge difference. With my batt in the rear the car was unstable on med grip carpet. In the Mid position the car became very smooth. This will allow me to put some of the rotation I took out with other settings back in.

4. If you change a setting on the Mi5 you will get exactly what you expect to get.

This was all with Jaco Blue tires, the kit motor position and a Protoform lite LTC-R mounted centered on the front wheel wells and with the rear wing overhanging ~8mm. I could get the Mi5 to be mellow and smooth or edgy and aggressive with the LTC-R so this will become my new standard body for all surfaces.

My lap times by the end of the day were competitive middle of the A-Main times. I am certain there is more speed in the car as I feel I made it too safe to drive by the end of the day. This is OK as this was my goal. I wanted to make sure I could get it to drive like a Caddy through conventional setup changes. Now I can make it more aggressive again and know I can get any balance I want.

Racing next Wednesday and looking forward to it.
Great stuff Adrian!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Part nums for option parts:

U4311 - 3 dink link mount
U4295 - rear hub carrier arm set (2 pairs)
U4354 - 2.5 deg rear arm - left
U4358 - 2.5 deg rear arm - right

Not sure about current avail of 2.5 arms from Schue direct but we have had them in stock in Aus since the car was first released, still have a couple sets.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott_g
Part nums for option parts:

U4311 - 3 dink link mount
U4295 - rear hub carrier arm set (2 pairs)
U4354 - 2.5 deg rear arm - left
U4358 - 2.5 deg rear arm - right

Not sure about current avail of 2.5 arms from Schue direct but we have had them in stock in Aus since the car was first released, still have a couple sets.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.