R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We used our MVP's from paved nats for enduro race motors to see if we could blow them up. It was pretty fun lol.

-Korey
Old 05-15-2005, 06:02 AM   #17
Tech Elite

need to cut comm down to like a .280 .275 to make it work, at least i did.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

lol.You guys kill me.If it isnt easy you dont wanna mess with it.You will mess with your sedan all day to run 5 minutes in a qualifier but wont spend 10 minutes on a motor.

Orion Core/Peak Hellfire-
These motor's are very nice for offroad and smaller sedan tracks.They run like a P2k in a sense but the magnets are WAYYY better.They do get hot but if you know how to build them they can run pretty dang good.
Reedy 766 brushes with a hole in them and narrow the face of the brush due to the overhang of a full brush the motor shorts out in a sense and heats up.
The motor wont run really good unless you break it in for a long period(Reedy 766's) at like 2 amps.I did 3 minutes,let it cool and then 3 more minutes.

1st run it will be kinda slow so use it to find out gearing or in practice.Reedy 766's are like this naturally.

2nd run it will get ALOT faster and with the hole and narrowed brush they dont heat up as bad.
TurtleMaster is right.They run pretty good with the comm cut to .285 or smaller.

You guys are SOOOO hung up on straightaway speed you forget that your getting passed in the infield where a motor like this shines.
If you race on a track bigger than 65x40 this motor ISNT for you unless it's extremelly tight.
Goodluck to everyone racing.Im sure Orion will have something with more RPM coming soon.
Les
Old 05-15-2005, 05:34 PM   #19
Tech Regular

I've done all of the above Tex with an MVP, with the exception of cutting down the comm (you forgot aligning brush hoods tho) and the MVP is still a dog.

Using 48p gearing, I've tried all the way down to about a 5.0 ratio, and my laptimes say its a dog...

I've never spent as much time on any motor as I have my MVP, I wanted to prove the guys at the track they were wrong about these motors... I couldn't...
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #20
Tech Elite

TexRacer,
Thanks for the feedback, that's why I start a thread like this to see if anyone has had any techniques or feedback that might be useful. Yeah, I'll spend tons of time on my sedan, when I know it has potential, but I won't if I feel it doesn't; the same goes for motors. Maybe I'll try some of you ideas.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:34 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

MartyNd-Your correct hood alignment is a HUGE deal.

I will say this.Monsters are alot more consistant speed wise than MVP,Orion Chrome's,Core's,Peak Spitfire's,and Peak Hellfire's.

But when you buy one from a motor builder thats already dynoed well and then tweak it they can be some NICE motor's on smaller tracks.

Marty-Curious?How big is your track?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #22
Tech Regular

About 90ft x 45ft.

I would love to have been able to buy a 'tuned' MVP, but most motor builders have given up on them as well. Likely motor builders would have to charge more for MVP's due to the amount of work involved...
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote