Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which of the big six? >

Which of the big six?

Which of the big six?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Which of the big six?

Ok I'm in the market for a TC?

I'm in a bit of quandary as to which one to buy. This is a nice but frustrating position to be in.

Do I get the

Xray T4
HB TCXX
Associated TC6.1
Shumacher MI5 (when it comes out)

I've not included the TRF 417 as its £80 more than the others ish. Or the yokomo as I can't find very good parts availability in the uk.

So what would you get? Why would you get it? Or what would you definitely pass on?

I'm leaning toward the xray at the moment but might hold out for the shumacher and see what's on offer. As I said its a nice position to be in.

Tom
Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Www.chubbiescarshack.co.uk for all Yokomo bits!

Parts support is better than you think for the bd7. Plus it's probably the fastest thing out there right now.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Might not be the person to give this advice since I've only owned HB TC, Tamiya TA06 and now have a Xray T4... not even close comparison, the T4 is better in every way... The HB TC was good, but the T4 carries so much corner speed and feels so planted... The quality of the construction is amazing... You can't go wrong with this car...
Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would get none of them. Not because they are bad or anything like that, but because every man and his dog drives them. And i want to be driving a car that no one else or maybe only 1 other person is driving at my club.

I went with a Spec-R but could have easily gone with a Sakura Xi, VBC Wildfire, Awesomatic or some new Italian one i cant think of the name of but cost as much as the Awesome.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Wink

Inevitably in threads like these you will find fan boys propping up a car of their choice

All modern cars are winning in the right hands

Choose which one you feel the most comfortable with
Best support, most locals winning with it, easy access to setups . . .

Or go down a different path for a taste of some strange
-------------------------------
+1 for Chubbies Yok support

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 04-11-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Well in that case..... might I recommend the Team Associated TC6.1 Worlds kit...
Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't mind fans.

What I'm tryin to see is what people have experance with and their impressions, good and bad.

I'm sure all of the above cars will out drive and perform me. But that's not really the point. Some will be a joy to work on and others a pig.

Some will have good, reasonably priced parts availability and others will sit in the shed waiting for bits from afar at prices that almost makes it worth buying two cars and using one as a Christmas tree.

Most of this stuff is what makes a car worth the money to a low end user. Unfortunately it's also almost all from experance and I don't have it. That's why I'm asking for advice on what people have found for themselves. I've done some trawling through threads but when threads start getting into hundreds of pages it's hard to find the pertinent info.

Leaning toward to xray at the moment though. Mainly due to ease of spares availability in the UK.

Tom
Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Double post, sorry.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'd say go the xray.
Its a great beginners car and you won't break much its extremely strong.
The others including the yokomo you've mentioned are very good cars (minus the schumacer, if your after an easy car to work on it fails in comparison to the others in that department) but, they are a tad more fragile than the xray.
If your not interested in the xray, i'd go tamiya , yokomo or Hot bodies be wear they are a bit more work.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 AM
Tech Champion

I'd go xray

I've been a very loyal tamiya fan for many years but i've heard the wear rate on xray is second to none. And they can be setup well for most, if not all tracks.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SARBoy
Ok I'm in the market for a TC?

I'm in a bit of quandary as to which one to buy. This is a nice but frustrating position to be in.

Do I get the

Xray T4
HB TCXX
Associated TC6.1
Shumacher MI5 (when it comes out)

I've not included the TRF 417 as its £80 more than the others ish. Or the yokomo as I can't find very good parts availability in the uk.

So what would you get? Why would you get it? Or what would you definitely pass on?

I'm leaning toward the xray at the moment but might hold out for the shumacher and see what's on offer. As I said its a nice position to be in.

Tom
What level are you at with racing and what tracks will you be running at?
Different surfaces seem to suit different cars.

Skiddins
Old 04-12-2013, 03:08 AM
Tech Adept

Take a looke to WRC STX touring car, the new Italian touring car.
Its a different proget from all others in the market and its quite easy to set up and very fast.

Ciao
Max
Old 04-12-2013, 03:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi skiddins,

Err, we'll, err, umm, none!

I have had rc cars, planes, helis since I was ten. As for racing I've no experance.

As for surfaces I'm not to sure as I tend to work weekends but have week days available and there seem to be no midweek clubs, indoor or outdoor locally. However the nearest club is outdoor so I assume Tarmac.

Not the ideal situation to be in at the moment, but it might change mid June so I can race weekends.

Tom
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

As the above stated, no one brand is best. They all have their pros and cons. At our club (indoor carpet) the 3 car brands that win are Schumacher, Tamiya and X-ray. Associated cars seem to break quite a lot, and no one races HB's anymore.

Reliability good with the 3 brands above, X-ray spares seem to cost more and the drive shafts seem to break (the other two don't have any particular issues)

There are some Spec-r S1's which are good cars as well and seem like a perfect introduction car (much cheaper than the 417,T4 et)

Corally, Serpents and Yoks are non existsant due to people being stung by poor part support (and the bd7 being a particularly hard to set-up to be consistant)

You just need a keen eye and good thumbs to do well at racing, the chassis above are all capable of winning.

Where are you based? There are some midweek clubs for onroad in the uk
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Just read a/the WRC STX thread. Interesting, but I think as a first TC I might stick with a tried and tested brand in the class with lots of support. Looks interesting though. Like the top deck, similar to hi end RC heli build.

Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.