R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default HPI WR8 Flux Plastic / Delrin Spur Gear and Mod 1 or Mod .8

I am hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. I recently just purchased a HPI WR8 Flux, Ken Block. It runs a Steel Mod 1 46T Spur gear and a Steel Mod 1 15T Pinion.

I am interested in finding a Plastic or Delrin Spur to replace the Steel one, but because the steel one has a longer bearing retainer than other Spur gears, I haven't found a plastic or Delrin Spur Gear as of yet.

I would like to go plastic for several reasons, the primary being that the steel version is very loud, and puts unnecessary stress on the driveline in certain situations. I would rather loose a spur, than have it damage my motor shaft or other components.

Also, I strongly feel the WR8 Flux doesn't NEED a Steel Spur Gear... the WR8 weighs a little over 5lbs With a battery, and is running a Steel Mod 1 gear. I also own several Traxxas vehicles, such as the Slash 4x4 and Traxxas Rally 1/10, running 4-pole 550 motors. The Traxxas units run Plastic 32 Pitch or Mod .8 Spur gears without any problems at all. Per Traxxas, the Rally weighs 98 ounces without a battery... add a 300 gram 5000 mah battery and the weight is 6.75 pounds... and that is with STOCK electronics and 540 motor. The Traxxas is easily 1.5 to 2 pounds heavier than the HPI WR8 flux, and runs the plastic 32 pitch gears fine.

Have any of you owners (or people with the experience in the HPI WR8 Flux) with the WR8 found or used a plastic spur gear? Can you point me in the right direction or to a part number?

Going plastic or Delrin is my top priority... if I can go to a plastic 32 pitch, that is even better. On the WR8, the Spur gear acts as a lid to the Center Differential, and is attached with 4 screws, and on the other side is the longer bearing holder. The stock Spur Gear is 66654 (HPI66654).

I'm not trying to debate the pros-cons of a Steel Spur Gear or Mod 1 to 32 Pitch, but if you can help me locate a Plastic Spur gear (either mod 1 or Mod .8/32 pitch) that would work, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Gabe
Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Did you ever find a suitable upgrade?
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

So I have been looking around for something similar and I have found a spur that looks like it will work. It is 44t and goes to a Tekno RC car, see here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekno-RC-TKR...item3cd4e9ffe2

I was planning on ordering the steel 44t spur for the Trophy http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/101035 but I figure I'd order the composit one first to see if it works. They look very similar.

The only thing that worries me is the diff cup shaft diameter. I'm not sure if the Trophy has the same dia shafts or not.
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
So I have been looking around for something similar and I have found a spur that looks like it will work. It is 44t and goes to a Tekno RC car, see here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekno-RC-TKR...item3cd4e9ffe2

I was planning on ordering the steel 44t spur for the Trophy http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/101035 but I figure I'd order the composit one first to see if it works. They look very similar.

The only thing that worries me is the diff cup shaft diameter. I'm not sure if the Trophy has the same dia shafts or not.
Looks like a good find!... I haven't had any luck but haven't looked recently. The lip on the original spur looks a little different where the bearing slides on and it's screw holes where it attaches to the center diff are shaped differently than most manufacturers, but this one may work. The WR8 is such a light little car I don't think it needs a steel spur or mod 1 gears... It makes it sound like a tank and there is no give if a small rock gets in there. I run a Traxxas Rally with .8 mod plastic spur on a 550 4 pole with no problems and it is much larger and heavier. I'll see what the shaft diameter coming out of the center diff on the HPI is. I wanna check out what you found... If you order it and it works please let me know... Be it .8 or mod 1 won't matter to me if spur is delrin. My Kyosho DBX VE runs a mod 1 delrin and it is much quieter and gives some when little stones get kicked in between the spur and pinion.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ever find a plastic/delrin spur?
SC10 4x4
RC10T Team Truck,RC10
Fastz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 332 (100%+)

Any luck?

Tags