Like Tree3Likes

TRF101

Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 PM
  #1186  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 555
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default TRF101 front carbon suspension set

How are you guys setting the blue colored bottom and top king pin mount? They both have the notch on the side and the instructions aren't to clear wether to have the top and bottom facing out towards the wheels or in towards the chassis? And please remind me how much camber facing the notch in and out have. Thanks
astgerma52sp is offline  
Old 07-23-2016, 07:57 AM
  #1187  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
Default

Hi!

I need some help.I'd like to buy Exotek's IFS suspension set for my TRF102 but I dont find any experience from other guys. Did someone try it? (is it good, bad, what's the main differences between the original suspension).
I also looking for another car (xray x1 or yokomo yr-10). In Hungary most of the guys running with xray and it looks much better than tamiya (in med grip carpet).(maybe i didnt find the right setup).Because of this I'm looking for the new suspension or a new car.

Thanks,

Máté
matemwd is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 12:02 PM
  #1188  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by astgerma52sp View Post
How are you guys setting the blue colored bottom and top king pin mount? They both have the notch on the side and the instructions aren't to clear wether to have the top and bottom facing out towards the wheels or in towards the chassis? And please remind me how much camber facing the notch in and out have. Thanks
The coloured top kingpin mount is used to set camber. Notch facing in is more camber (I think -2°). I used the TRF101 front end for a short time as the lower suspension balls come out easily. I went to an exotek front axle for infinite camber/caster adjustment. Now I'm running inline front axle, shorty lipo in front, 7K lube in the damper and soft springs all round. Need to have another race (in a few weeks) to see if the setup is working better now. At my hometrack we are only running F1 with 2 people so it's hard to compare.

For the manual:http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...ssis-kit-42252
and find the manual button ;-)

Cheers,
Nilezb is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 04:21 PM
  #1189  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 555
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nilezb View Post
The coloured top kingpin mount is used to set camber. Notch facing in is more camber (I think -2°). I used the TRF101 front end for a short time as the lower suspension balls come out easily. I went to an exotek front axle for infinite camber/caster adjustment. Now I'm running inline front axle, shorty lipo in front, 7K lube in the damper and soft springs all round. Need to have another race (in a few weeks) to see if the setup is working better now. At my hometrack we are only running F1 with 2 people so it's hard to compare.

For the manual:http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...ssis-kit-42252
and find the manual button ;-)

Cheers,
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the newer TRF front carbon upgrade and the pivot balls are more recessed in the carbon so hopefully that keeps them from coming out. The new front has the colored king pin mount on top and bottom and the bottom can only go in one direction. So I guess only the top is used to set camber as you described.
astgerma52sp is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 PM
  #1190  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (74)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,009
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by matemwd View Post
Hi!

I need some help.I'd like to buy Exotek's IFS suspension set for my TRF102 but I dont find any experience from other guys. Did someone try it? (is it good, bad, what's the main differences between the original suspension).
I also looking for another car (xray x1 or yokomo yr-10). In Hungary most of the guys running with xray and it looks much better than tamiya (in med grip carpet).(maybe i didnt find the right setup).Because of this I'm looking for the new suspension or a new car.

Thanks,

Máté
The IFS suspension is better for cars built on a better platform. The TRF102 is not a great car for carpet, chassis is much too flexible. It is more of a car designed around asphalt racing.

You will be better off with the X1 or YR-10 for carpet and requires a lot less work to get it up to speed.
Dan is offline  
Old 08-09-2016, 12:35 PM
  #1191  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 175
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I just picked a TRF101W - first timer with F1 chassis. I'll just playing around in parking lots. What ESC and motors are recommended?

Thanks!
jessele is offline  
Old 08-09-2016, 12:41 PM
  #1192  
Tech Master
iTrader: (65)
 
aracefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

The Hobbywing Justock is a good ESC for mild motors. I would go with a 17.5 to just play with on the parking lot. Should get some decent speed with that combo - but nothing too fast when curbs are in play.

If you do race, most tracks run 21.5 or 25.5 F1, and the Justock would be great for those motors. I run a Justock in my TC6.1 (21.5) and TRF101 (25.5) and it does "just" fine. sorry.
aracefan is offline  
Old 08-09-2016, 02:11 PM
  #1193  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 175
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by aracefan View Post
The Hobbywing Justock is a good ESC for mild motors. I would go with a 17.5 to just play with on the parking lot. Should get some decent speed with that combo - but nothing too fast when curbs are in play.

If you do race, most tracks run 21.5 or 25.5 F1, and the Justock would be great for those motors. I run a Justock in my TC6.1 (21.5) and TRF101 (25.5) and it does "just" fine. sorry.

Sweet thanks for the suggestions! I will look in to it now.

Last edited by jessele; 08-09-2016 at 04:55 PM.
jessele is offline  
Old 08-11-2016, 05:36 AM
  #1194  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 555
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default TRF 101 front carbon suspension

In using this unit I'm having a lot of play/ slop at the 7mm aluminum balls and titanium coated shaft/king pin. Anyone having the same experience and can it be resolved?
astgerma52sp is offline  
Old 08-11-2016, 11:14 AM
  #1195  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (41)
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 2,077
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Andy, andre has a 101 with cf ft end. he will be running next month you can ck his car out at the track in sep.
I was playing with his car and his ft end is tight and smooth...no play or slop
fat500 is offline  
Old 08-11-2016, 11:45 AM
  #1196  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 555
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
Andy, andre has a 101 with cf ft end. he will be running next month you can ck his car out at the track in sep.
I was playing with his car and his ft end is tight and smooth...no play or slop
Hey Mark, we missed you the last couple of club races. A few guys have since jumped on board with more to come. We will also be running F1 at the final village vs. Valkaria Rumble hope you can make it in a week. Andre's front end will be a bit different than mine. The ball studs are now recessed in the front carbon fiber. I had a 101 and I don't remember so much play in that area I was wondering if anyone with the TRF front suspension set which comes as an add one part number (42286) have the same problem.
astgerma52sp is offline  
Old 08-27-2016, 08:51 PM
  #1197  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 138
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Electronics Placement?

Hey all. A bit late in the day, but i just wanted to talk about electronic placement. I will be running the 101 on carpet. looking for some input on how y'all have your set up. Thank You.
JJ
jujubean is offline  
Old 08-28-2016, 02:33 PM
  #1198  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 138
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

So.....After a great night of running, some very close racing ended with a busted rear shaft . Any suggestion on how to repair instead of getting the TAM42252 (http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...-42252-3484043). Thanks!
JJ
jujubean is offline  
Old 08-28-2016, 03:54 PM
  #1199  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 555
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jujubean View Post
So.....After a great night of running, some very close racing ended with a busted rear shaft . Any suggestion on how to repair instead of getting the TAM42252 (http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...-42252-3484043). Thanks!
JJ
You have to replace it with the steel shaft version. If you buy another graphite version it will cause the same problem. I am not sure repairing it is the right way to do it.
astgerma52sp is offline  
Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 PM
  #1200  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 138
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by astgerma52sp View Post
You have to replace it with the steel shaft version. If you buy another graphite version it will cause the same problem. I am not sure repairing it is the right way to do it.
.......OK. Do you have a part number for that shaft that takes the pin?
Thanks.
jujubean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.