R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Wheel alignment?

Okay, so I got my Sprint 2 350z today, and it seems the left wheel is turned inward a little bit as the right wheel is straight. Not talking camber or anything the actual direction. Is it possible to adjust this?
absentwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah if you have rtr TX then there should be a little knob that you can turn either left or right. If you have the fancy controllers, then scroll until you hit the sub trim page.
Axial RR10 Bomber, MMP, Reline Pro4 4000Kv,Protek 150T
Futaba 4PKS R All sponsored by Visa
BadPanda818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

It's not a trim issue from the sound of it. OP said one wheel is straight. I'm not familiar with that exact car, but pretty much any of them have an adjustable turnbuckle/tie rod on the steering assembly. You can adjust each wheel independently with those.
klaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It also depends on the toe setting in which both wheels will not be truly straight, so trim may be the adjustment needed. Possibly a combination of both. How far off is the other wheel? If it is just a little bit, then adjust trim until both wheels are equally "off" center in opposite directions. If it is quite a bit, adjust the steering links with the supplied wrench using the instructions in the manual. The manual is available online if you don't have a hard copy.
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaymon View Post
It's not a trim issue from the sound of it. OP said one wheel is straight. I'm not familiar with that exact car, but pretty much any of them have an adjustable turnbuckle/tie rod on the steering assembly. You can adjust each wheel independently with those.
The only reason why i suggested trim is because most rtr never come out of the box completely straight but good suggestion as well. Just like the old saying, two heads are better than one.
Axial RR10 Bomber, MMP, Reline Pro4 4000Kv,Protek 150T
Futaba 4PKS R All sponsored by Visa
BadPanda818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentwonder View Post
Okay, so I got my Sprint 2 350z today, and it seems the left wheel is turned inward a little bit as the right wheel is straight. Not talking camber or anything the actual direction. Is it possible to adjust this?
It is supposed to be like that, both wheels should be pointing in a little as it stabilises the car when it is running. Adjusting the wheels so they are both straight will mean that when running the play in the linkages will mean it goes from toe in to toe out, and it will wander about instead of running in a straight line.

If you want to try and change it, all you need to do is turn the hex nut in the middle of the linkage to adjust the length. Be aware you will need to adjust the linkage on each side the same amount so you don't upset the handling when cornering.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Okay I used the remote and adjusted it. They both are a tiny bit angled. Not as much as before. If that's how they need to be then we are good.i. I will post a photo later and maybe see what u guys think( at work right now). I appreciate the help.
absentwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentwonder View Post
Okay I used the remote and adjusted it. They both are a tiny bit angled. Not as much as before. If that's how they need to be then we are good.i. I will post a photo later and maybe see what u guys think( at work right now). I appreciate the help.
If you've got the steering centered and the wheels are angled slightly outwards at the front, that's toe out, which you usually want a little of. Just make sure it's the same on both sides of the car.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

All R/C cars have a mechanical center point in the steering geometry. You should refer to the manual to make sure of the following...
- The transmitter (radio) steering is set to neutral/zero/center point
- The servo steering horn is attached in the correct position on the servo (check manual)
- The linkage from the servo is the correct length (check manual)
- The steering turnbuckles are the same/correct length (check manual)

| = center line of chassis

No toe looks like this ||.....|.....||
Toe-in looks like this //.....|.....\\
Toe-out looks like this \\.....|.....//

Assuming everything is centered and all the linkages are the correct length, you may still need minor adjustments to get the wheels like you need (by adjusting the steering turnbuckles). You want both tires to have the same angle. You can search on RCTECH for the reasons to run toe-in or toe-out in the front.

Based on the original post in this thread his front wheels looked like this...

//.....|.....||

...and it sounds like his radio trim wasn't set at neutral/center

----------

One final thing to note. The reason you want to make sure your steering is set to neutral (by the manual) before adjusting trim is that it can affect the mechanical steering throw of the car (it may turn more to one side than the other).
Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default Axial yeti

I have an axial yeti and I think I stripped out the caps the tie rods go into because I made sure the tie rods were the same length on each side but the wheels still weren't the same. I checked and nothing is bent either. I need help with this
Jspoon123 is offline   Reply With Quote