Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
★☆★ M3Roc's Racing Pit ★☆★ >

★☆★ M3Roc's Racing Pit ★☆★

★☆★ M3Roc's Racing Pit ★☆★

Old 04-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Thumbs up ★☆★ M3Roc's Racing Pit ★☆★

Today I visited a local race track that I didn't even know existed for well over 3 years right under my nose. The place is called NORCAR at The Gate. Its a really nice indoor electric's track. Its actually got quite a sizable track as well and I can tell you for sure that they have some great meatballs there likewise!

I spent a few hours watching the guys race. They run TC, VTA, Grand GT and BRP.. Im sure I missed something here but Ill update it as time goes on. I did take some video with my Galaxy S3 which I will post up tonight on youtube. After watching all this go down, I decided that I want to run VTA and BRP classes, those look like a blast!

While I was there, I picked up a nice used Airtron M8 radio with an Spektrum SM1001 module. Really excited about that and I got it at a great price! I do need some receivers for it now.

Hopefully Ill get to meet more of the guys there soon but from the very first day there, the guys are all great! Very friendly and full of info so picking their brain is a must. Anyways I can't wait to get my cars together and get out there and race.

Also on another note, I am thinking of trading my TMaxx for so other RC cars. Its a 4907 with the 3.3 motor. Its in spotless condition since I tore it down completely over the winter and rebuilt it all. The motor hasn't seen a drop of gas since I rebuilt it. If anyone is getting out of VTA or TC and wants to get into a T-Maxx, LMK. I will post up pictures of the T-Maxx sometime soon.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Gate is a great group of guys, except that Gerber fella he looks a little suspicious, LOL and you got to watch the guy who runs every class, I think his name if Joe Kaboom, and yes Chuck does cook a mean lunch.

None of those guys would steer you wrong and the level of competition is top notch if you want to mess with the top dogs as well as a good group of fast club guys if those classes suit your interest better
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

NORCAR/Gate is a great facility and a great group to run with. I try to get up there each month when they have the TC classes.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

I can't disagree with anything you guys have mentioned.. I can't wait to get my car together so I can race there!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

OK so just as an update, Ive got two cars im currently working on. I have an TCXX that will most likely be built for VTA and I have a CRC XTi for 12 stock. The CRC is the most built so far only needing an SR3500 receiver to finish it. Its gonna run an Viper 17.5 motor, Viper VTX10R Black Edition ESC, Revtech 1s battery and an MRT Transponder.

The TCXX is still a work in progress. I may have had luck getting a nice Novak 25.5 motor and hopefully I can work out a deal for an Edge 2s ESC also from Novak. It still needs a battery, receiver and a body. Im thinking Challenger..

I will post pictures up shortly as i take em..
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

CRC XTi Powered by Viper

95% Complete. Still missing Spektrum Receiver.
Not the most glamorous body but it works!

Everything is moved as close to center as possible. The servo was flipped over and the receiver will fit in front of the servo where all the wires are.
Once I have the receiver, I will be able to take it to the track and fine tune it. I will add more updates when the car is complete and the wire management has been done.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

TCXX built for VTA
Building it was the most fun!

This was seriously rewarding. I wish more kits came disassembled.

Here is where the car is so far. Still needs a lot of work, specially tuning. That receiver fit like a glove! There is also a surprisingly large amount of room left for the ESC if using a low profile servo. The dimensions were exact from the edge of the chassis to the antenna mount. The Viper motor is in there just for the heck of it right now. As I mentioned, this will be a VTA setup. Ive got a Novak 25.5 and the Novak Edge 2s on the way thanks to some awesome RC Tech users!

Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures. I always take pictures even if I dont upload them all. I will keep you guys up to date as I go along. Feel free to pitch in with some tips.

Just wanted to saya special thanks to bukil! He is the guy who set me up with this awesome car in a trade. Hes been an indispensable amount of help too. I could use all the tips I can get to get this car dialed.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Soldered on the power connectors today. Luckily, the battery polarity is on the same side as the speed controller.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Two things. First, make sure those battery wires don't touch the body (I would recommend routing them horizontally out of the ESC). Second, you will need either a receiver pack or booster with that speedo in your 12th scale. Ideally the speedo you want to use for 1s (12th and WGT) is the VTX1, but you should be able to use the VTX10R with a receiver pack or booster.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Yeah I have the caps but I just haven't installed them yet. Also, the wires will be changed around to face back. They just barely push up on the body.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M3Roc
Yeah I have the caps but I just haven't installed them yet. Also, the wires will be changed around to face back. They just barely push up on the body.
I am not talking about the caps. You will need the caps no matter what, whether you run 1s or 2s. The VTX10 does not have an internal BEC to supply the correct voltage to your receiver/servo when using a 1s, which means you must run either a receiver pack or a booster. This is completely different than the cap you are referring to, and is required if you want to run the VTX10 with 1s.

This is why the VTX1 is preferred for 1s applications and the VTX10 states 2s and above.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Oh ok. I wasn't aware of that. So the 7v/5A that the ESC provides isn't enough? The graph on the box shows that the VTX1 has even less at 5.5v/3A, am I missing something here? I haven't used this ESC yet which explains why I wasn't aware of that. I may have to sell it then and get something else, im limited on room in the car as it is. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

No worries. I would actually recommend the VTX1 for all blinky applications, even with 2s.

If you want to stay with the VTX10 speedo though, you can get either the TQ booster (little more expensive, but good) or a hobbyking one for pretty cheap. Receiver pack works well too, but is more difficult to fit in that car.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The vtx10r will not work with a 1s battery even with a receiver pack or a booster, the internal design does not allow it to turn on at 3.7v and the low voltage cutoff cannot be set lower than around 5v.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, knowing all this, I decided to put it up FS to see what I can get. Too bad I jumped the gun with this package, now im selling it before I even get to use it..

Ive decided that im most likely going to invest in a Hobbywing Xerun 1s which is designed to run on 1s and does not need a booster or receiver pack. At least that's what I understand. Let me know if im wrong on this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.